BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Bimmerfest....

I have swapped cars once again. Out with my '15 Yas Marina Blue M4 (...purchased July '14), and in with the new: My '17 Individual Nardo Grey/Silverstone M4. The options are the same on both cars for the most part, and I took the time Friday night (..and the weekend) to have all of the parts swapped/installed onto the new car. I also installed the M Performance alcantara steering wheel, e-brake and armrest yesterday. I was initially underwhelmed by photos having never seen the color in person (...and only had kleaperM3's car as a visual reference), and I worried that Nardo Grey might be a little boring for me having driven around a Yas coupe for the last 2+ years. Once I saw the color in person though, I was sold. Once my mods were installed, I was in love. Here are a few crappy photos, but I'll be doing a shoot next Friday. Better pics to come.

The initial underwhelming photos...

Once I picked up the car Friday evening, I headed over to SupremePower with both vehicles to have everything taken off of the YMB coupe and installed on the NG coupe. They were able to complete everything but my AWRON digital boost gauge and my Lightweight front lip. I can't thank Andrew and the crew enough for staying late just to help me when I was in a time crunch. Much owed to the guys! :thumbup:

After leaving SupremePower, I said my final goodbyes to Smurfette. I also had a chance to check out the ///M puddle lights that my buddy had installed. It was a nice gesture, so I rolled with it despite not asking for them. Gotta love good friends. :D

On Saturday I took the Nardo coupe over to EAS to have the AWRON and the LW lip installed...

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478286500.177841.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478286512.665694.jpg

I'm now awaiting my painted front/rear reflectors and keyhole cover from IND (...the parts will be here Monday) and the IND OEM tri-stitch alcantara shift boot and knob to match the other alcantara M Performance alcantara interior parts that I installed.

Mod fast and furious. That's my mantra! :D More pics to come.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I LOVE that color! Thats awesome!

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
How different is a 2014 vs a 2017 BMW M4 non-ZCP? Any better stock exhaust note that you notice? or better damper settings and/or throttle response? or are they exactly the same other than the 2017 having wireless charging for phones?

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How different is a 2014 vs a 2017 BMW M4 non-ZCP? Any better stock exhaust note that you notice? or better damper settings and/or throttle response? or are they exactly the same other than the 2017 having wireless charging for phones?
Well the 2014 was modeled a 2015, but the main differences that I can tell right from the beginning are....

• iDrive5 (..wireless charging, Apple CarPlay, etc.)
  • Different instrument cluster lighting (..my 2015 had white digital data below the speedo/tach; my 2017 digital data has a bluish tint to it that matches the color of the climate control readout.......which is bluish during the day and red at night. I believe this changed in 2016 though).
  • Different trim above the AC vents (...silver-ish versus anthracite; also a 2016 change I believe)
  • Revised adaptive suspension (..slightly noticeable)
  • Revised traction software (..I haven't noticed this personally, but I only have 291 miles on my car. I haven't driven hard yet.)

Other than that, there isn't much difference. The exhaust notes sound the same to me.

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Interior pics?
I'll take some tomorrow and post them, but it is 99% identical to the Silverstone interior from my Yas Marina coupe pictured below....

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478312065.344891.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478312093.090390.jpg

The alcantara parts change it up a bit. I'm so glad to have an alcantara wheel again. IND is customizing this shift knob for me....

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478312748.415659.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478312775.810782.jpg

They are wrapping the dry carbon in alcantara. I don't like to overdo carbon fiber, and I hate the dry carbon even more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats!

Picked up a new M4 Convertible myself today! White with all the options....loving getting back into a M again after many years. Congrats!

Looks like you bought at Irvine BMW? I live in Lake Forest but bought out in Ontario....

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow I love the color of that car. Sweet ride man
Thanks LD! :thumbsup:

Congrats!

Picked up a new M4 Convertible myself today! White with all the options....loving getting back into a M again after many years. Congrats!

Looks like you bought at Irvine BMW? I live in Lake Forest but bought out in Ontario....
Welcome back to the family! Congrats on the new car. :)

I have purchased all of my BMW's over the past 15 years from the same person, and he has worked for Shelly or Irvine BMW (...same owners) majority of those years. He had a short stint at McKenna, so both of my X5's and my F30 335 were from that dealership because that's where he was at the time. Shelly has been my service dealership since 2002, but Irvine has done right by me too, so I've gone there recently.

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Well the 2014 was modeled a 2015, but the main differences that I can tell right from the beginning are....

• iDrive5 (..wireless charging, Apple CarPlay, etc.)
  • Different instrument cluster lighting (..my 2015 had white digital data below the speedo/tach; my 2017 digital data has a bluish tint to it that matches the color of the climate control readout.......which is bluish during the day and red at night. I believe this changed in 2016 though).
  • Different trim about the AC vents (...silver-ish versus anthracite; also a 2016 change I believe)
  • Revised adaptive suspension (..slightly noticeable)
  • Revised traction software (..I haven't noticed this personally, but I only have 291 miles on my car. I haven't driven hard yet.)

Other than that, there isn't much difference. The exhaust notes sound the same to me.
This is probably the best I've read regarding the differences from a real user.

Thanks man

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is probably the best I've read regarding the differences from a real user.

Thanks man
:thumbsup:

I also noticed something else today. The mirror button on the driver's door panel now has an icon that illustrates that the button is for folding the mirrors, and it is illuminated. It was an all black button with no icon and no illumination on my 2015 (....if I'm remembering correctly). Oh, and there's the USB port under the climate control/above the cup holders as well. I forgot to mention that earlier. No longer do you need to use the USB port located in the armrest. The controls to adjust the seat fore/aft are also silver now, matching the silver on the dash trim, steering wheel trim, etc. There's also an outlet in the trunk on the left side by the cubby area, and no more elastic storage strap on the right side interior wall of the trunk. I'm bummed because I used that strap to hold detailer spray, rags, an interior scrub brush and gloves. It was designed to hold a quart of oil though.

I had my car coded today, and the main change is that DVD-in-motion can't be easily coded out like on previous models. Apparently it now requires hardware to accomplish. Coders are working on it though, and rumor has it that the Russians have figured it out, but they aren't sharing the information.

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
:thumbsup:

I also noticed something else today. The mirror button on the driver's door panel now has an icon that illustrates that the button is for folding the mirrors, and it is illuminated. It was an all black button with no icon and no illumination on my 2015 (....if I'm remembering correctly). Oh, and there's the USB port under the climate control/above the cup holders as well. I forgot to mention that earlier. No longer do you need to use the USB port located in the armrest. The controls to adjust the seat fore/aft are also silver now, matching the silver on the dash trim, steering wheel trim, etc. There's also an outlet in the trunk on the left side by the cubby area, and no more elastic storage strap on the right side interior wall of the trunk. I'm bummed because I used that strap to hold detailer spray, rags, an interior scrub brush and gloves. It was designed to hold a quart of oil though.

I had my car coded today, and the main change is that DVD-in-motion can't be easily coded out like on previous models. Apparently it now requires hardware to accomplish. Coders are working on it though, and rumor has it that the Russians have figured it out, but they aren't sharing the information.
Wow! superb detail man! Not even a BMW Sales exec knows these differences :rofl:

Can you please show me a pic of the Mirror button you are talking about? that sounds wicked

You don't know the pain I'm going through man, I bought a 2017 YMB M4 Convertible and it's sitting at the dealer's as I'm awaiting for my Dubai National ID to be renewed as I can't register the car without it. Everytime you or someone posts something cool about an M4 I feel the nerves in my legs are itching me to move as I want to get my car. I feel like a little baby waiting for his tow (I'm 32)

·
Law Enforcer
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! superb detail man! Not even a BMW Sales exec knows these differences :rofl:

Can you please show me a pic of the Mirror button you are talking about? that sounds wicked

You don't know the pain I'm going through man, I bought a 2017 YMB M4 Convertible and it's sitting at the dealer's as I'm awaiting for my Dubai National ID to be renewed as I can't register the car without it. Everytime you or someone posts something cool about an M4 I feel the nerves in my legs are itching me to move as I want to get my car. I feel like a little baby waiting for his tow (I'm 32)
I will for you later today when I get back home. I'm in my beater car at the moment. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts