BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Analyzing whether it is beneficial to purchase the Ultimate+1 (takes you out to 50k for maintenance) in connection with a lease of an X5. Cost is about $1800 so the question really turns on whether I will need a full set of brakes during the 3 year lease term. I will put about 40,000 miles on the car during that time.

So, my question for current owners is this - at what point did you have to replace front brakes? rear brakes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Isnt the +1 just an additional year?

I would just get the $600 BMW Ultimate care and have the dealer replace your brakes before your BMW ultimate care expires

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

I would just get the $600 BMW Ultimate care and have the dealer replace your brakes before your BMW ultimate care expires
Unfortunately it is not possible to "just have your dealer replace the brakes before the ultimate care expires" (unless the brakes are actually at a point when they need to be replaced by the car's computer").

New BMWs use Condition Based Service (CBS) which basically has basically the car check itself to determine what needs service and when. So, you dont get oil changes every 5k miles or 7k miles. You get oil changes either 1 per year, or when the car says it needs it (approximately 10k Miles I think).

Same goes with the brakes, you can only get those changed under warranty if they need to be changed under warranty, and its "unlikely" you would need new brakes inside of 3 years /36k Miles, unless you stomp on your brakes all the time constantly (some people drive with their feet resting on the brakes, which is dumb, but I have seen it).

Its much more likely that a person would need brakes somewhere in the 4 years 50k miles time frame (but not guarenteed). It depends again on how you brake. For example, its my thought that cars with regenerative braking (which slows the car down when you take your foot off the gas fairly aggressively), reduces wear on brakes simply because you dont need to brake as long, or as hard to achieve the same amount of braking as in a non regenerative braking car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My understanding is that Ultimate+ gets you the additional items for 3 years/36k ($600) and Ultimate+1 ($1849) gets you the additional items for 4 years/50k. It's unlikely that brakes would be needed in the first 36k miles.

So, it seems to me the only real decision is whether to extend to 50k. If I only had to get one axle done then its probably best to skip. If I had to get 2 then I probably come out ahead.

On a related note, I'm still trying to figure out if you purchase the Ultimate+1 on a leased vehicle, is it residualized so that you only pay for part of it anyway. If that is the case, then it might actually be a good deal.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
My understanding is that Ultimate+ gets you the additional items for 3 years/36k ($600) and Ultimate+1 ($1849) gets you the additional items for 4 years/50k. It's unlikely that brakes would be needed in the first 36k miles.

So, it seems to me the only real decision is whether to extend to 50k. If I only had to get one axle done then its probably best to skip. If I had to get 2 then I probably come out ahead.

On a related note, I'm still trying to figure out if you purchase the Ultimate+1 on a leased vehicle, is it residualized so that you only pay for part of it anyway. If that is the case, then it might actually be a good deal.
I dont think it can be residualized, from what I remember from someone else posting about here on bimmerfest on a recent purchase, but I may be wrong on that. You would want to check.

My understanding of Ultimate and Ultimate +1 is the same as yours, and I am fairly certain that its correct (that ultimate just adds the brakes, wiperblades and a couple other wear items back to the maintenance plan for 3/36 while the "+1" adds the 4th year or 50K mile term back.

Thats why the Ultimate is only 600 (because they are reasonably sure they will only be giving you an extra set of wiper blades and maybe a cabin air filter on it), while the 4th year is so much more (because they know there is a decent chance they will need to do brakes in that 4th year.... not guarenteed, but "decent").

I think the brake job on a car with heavy regenerative braking like the 40e would be pushed waay out, but obviously I dont know for sure. You guys / girls with the 40e will have to let us know :thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No 40e for me. 5.0 or X5M. I've had two 5.0s. Want to test drive the X5M but not sure I can justify 20k more for performance that will never be used on the street. So, brakes very well could be an issue because I will have 40-45K miles on car at lease end.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Our 2012 E70 is still on original brakes at 4+ years old and 42k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts