BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insights into this somewhat odd comparison.

I am looking for a used BMW for my growing family and came across at these two vehicles with very similar features and packages at almost the same price point:

2017 X1 xDrive28i
  • Premium
  • Cold Weather
  • Driving Assistance
  • xLine
  • Technology
  • 17,000 miles

2017 330i GT
  • Premium
  • Cold Weather
  • Driving Assistance
  • M Sports
  • 15,000 miles

The GT is only ~$1.2K more expensive

I'm looking for utility for my growing family (strollers, baby stuff) and my active lifestyle (Bicycles, hiking), easy to drive in big city (Brooklyn) and long term reliability.

At first the X1 seemed like the better fit, but after looking at the GT, it also hits a lot of the same checkmarks.

Does anyone have experience with both models?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
SUV's are better for carrying crap, and for getting in and out of.

The xDrive on the X1 you're looking at will be handy in snow. It's also s square set-up (all tires and wheels the same size). The M Sport 330i likely has a staggered set up. A square set-up will allow you to rotate your tires and allow all your tired to wear out at the same time. The X1 is available with a spare tire, and a spare is necessary equipment if you plan on doing weekend road trips. The F300 didn't offer a spare. You can buy one, but it hogs up the trunk and eliminates having a flat trunk floor.

The M Sport is a car, and a RWD car at that. It's a "driving machine." With better tires, lower center of mass, RWD and ~50%/50% weight distribution it will handle better when going fast.

We have two BMW's. One's more practical. One drives like a BMW, at least after I ditched the crap Goodyear LS2's that came on it. But, it we could only keep one it'd be Frau Putzer's X3. We took a 70 mile road trip last week, carrying two medium size ice chests. Because of the ice chests, we took the X3.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts