Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm in New Zealand, and recently saw an article about AdBlue for diesel cars. My 530D is my first diesel, and I hadn't heard of this additive before. I had a look in the manual, and it shows me where the filler is.... except it's not. Where the fuel filler cap is, there's only that one cap, no cap for AdBlue. What's the story with it being needed, or not?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,494 Posts
Hi

I'm in New Zealand, and recently saw an article about AdBlue for diesel cars. My 530D is my first diesel, and I hadn't heard of this additive before. I had a look in the manual, and it shows me where the filler is.... except it's not. Where the fuel filler cap is, there's only that one cap, no cap for AdBlue. What's the story with it being needed, or not?
It is needed. Your car will refuse to start 1000 miles after the diesel exhaust fluid is gone.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is registered with the International Standards Organization (ISO 22241) as AUS32 and branded as AdBlue, BlueHDI, BlueTEC, and FLENDS. Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF - is the generic name for the ISO standard 32.5% aqueous urea solution in deionized water.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's only needed if it's needed and it clearly isn't needed in NZ...
Apparently not, if there's no place to add the stuff.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,494 Posts

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
My first BMW diesel had the AdBlue door on the rear panel.Basically your dealer will know a) if *your* vehicle requires AdBlue and b) if it does they'll know where it goes...and will show you where it goes.

IOW...don't sweat it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts