BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up a new lease on a 2018 BMW in June 2019 with a dealer stock car.

The mileage was around 7000 miles already on the car.

1) It's 2020 July and I took my car into the dealership for oil change. I was informed the tires are bare and needs to be replaced. They are runflat tires. The car has about 20,000 miles on it right now, which means I drove about 14,000 miles. Is it reasonable for the tires to be done already and needs replacement? I think my last lease the tires were good for over 2 years before changing but it's only been a year and I need to change these already.

2) I was notified that the brakes are not included as part of lease deals anymore. Anyone else going through this as well? Looks like my brakes need to be replaced within a year and I've only had this car for 1 year at 14,000 miles driven. Any advices?

3) How do you get around getting a cheap run flat tires during the lease? I was thinking about replacing the run flat with regular tires and then replacing it before returning but I don't have any room in my trunk to carry around a spare tire in case. Also, I don't think I even have a jack in the car. Where do you get your Run Flat tires for cheap?

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
It's certainly possible for the tread to be worn down by now. How the car was driven, proper suspension alignment, whether the tire were kept inflated and the type of tire are variables that could result in premature wear. You should have the tires inspected by a trusted tire shop or independent BMW mechanic.

The only way I know of to get around getting cheap run flat tires during a lease is to not let them wear below the defined minimum.

Brakes are treated pretty much like tires unless you pay in advance for extended coverage.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Many with leases will pull off the original tires (and/or wheels) & go with non-run-flats during their ownership term. When it's time to turn in the car, the original set-up goes back on. There are eBay sites selling tires that members here have been happy with - try a Search.
In case of a flat, use AAA (or an equivalent), your cellphone, a can of fix-a-flat, or carry a jack & spare.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 93k miles on my 2015 328i, and am on my third set of run flats. The first set was Continental and the next was Bridgestone, and now I’m back to Continental. I had no problem getting about 40k out of each set, so only 20k on yours seems really odd. Did they give you a car that someone had swapped to an old set of tires? I would look at the date code just to be sure.

IIRC, I did front brakes at about 50k miles, and rears at about. 80k, however brakes are affected a lot by driving conditions (traffic, etc.) and your driving style.

Bruce

·
Spelling Impaired
5,719 Posts
I have 93k miles on my 2015 328i, and am on my third set of run flats. The first set was Continental and the next was Bridgestone, and now I'm back to Continental. I had no problem getting about 40k out of each set, so only 20k on yours seems really odd. Did they give you a car that someone had swapped to an old set of tires? I would look at the date code just to be sure.
There are a lot of variables which lead to such a large difference in experience but a big one is the type of tire. The OP may be running summer run flat tires and you're running all seasons.

My CPO car came with a the Bridgstone S001 run flats which are a summer tire. I'm only going to get about 15K miles out of them before I can happily replace them. I do autocross the car, but I'm not competitive and don't do it all that often. Even without those events I doubt I would have seen more than 20K for those tires. They wear out REALLY quick.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
A staggered set-up prevents front-to-back rotation. That means the rear tires wear out faster, especially with RWD. xDrive (AWD) evens out the wear somewhat. My RWD 535i's rear tires wear ~50% faster than the front ones. Frau Putzer's X3 xDrive's rear tires wear ~25% faster than the front ones.

I'll get ~38k miles out of the summer non-RFT Michelin PSS's on my 535i. Based on the wear over the first 20k miles, Frau Putzer should get 60k miles out of the OE all-season, non-RFT Bridgestone Duelers H/P Sport AS's on her X3.

RFT's tend to wear more on the sides of the tread, as if under-inflated. Goodyear LS2's are notorious for that. LS2's are what cured me of every wanting another set of RFT's.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Yes, you could have worn out tires at 20k.
What is the tread depth? If higher than 3 or 4/16th I'd keep driving until they get to that level.
Reason is you have a lease. Your lease contract stipulates that you will return the car with a certain type of tire at a tread depth of n/16th or more or else you will be charged for tire replacement. Read it and make sure you know the facts. Assuming you have a three year lease, you need to get as much life out of those tires so you only buy one set of tires rather than two on someone else's car.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I have two cars, one 4 years old with 38,000 miles and one 3 1/2 years old with 38,000 miles. The 4 years old car has 14 new tires to its name, the slightly younger one has 4, but very soon to be 8 - for sure before summer is over.

The older car has also 4 front brake disks to its name and 2 rear ones plus at least 4 or 5 sets of brake pads, cannot remember anymore. Slightly younger car has 4 brake pads and front disks to its name.

All of this to tell you that it is useless for any of us to guess what is normal or what is not. Even with every mile driven by same driver, two different cars are very different when it comes to brakes and tires.

That said ...

1. I am a moron and I drive as such. Plus, older car gets duty that is not on public roads and that takes unimaginable-to-normal-people tear out of consumables.

2. I owned a BMW and drove it more or less like that. I can tell you that, even for me, brake job is excessive at 20,000 miles for a car that never saw a racetrack.

In conclusion, dealer is, in my book, definitely trying to get quite a bit of money from your pocket and move it into theirs. I can understand the tires, but not the brake job. Be aware that brake job at the dealer means disks+pads and it is in neighborhood of $2,000.

Go to bimrs.org and find an independent in your area, ask them to evaluate brakes and replace pads if need be. If brakes truly are done (disks included), then I know very well what that car was used for in its first 7,000 miles and you do not want to hear it.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
84 Posts
BMW Maintenace Program changed after 2016. Yup, brakes no longer listed as a maintenance item. I checked the bimrs.org website mention in the previous post. Is there another website or recommendation independent shop available for the northern NJ or NY area?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.