BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW diesel fans have been waiting to know if BMW was going to bring a 5 Series diesel to the US. The fear was that VW Dieselgate had killed diesel momentum for German brands in America. In the 2018 BMW production schedule the 540d xDrive is clearly starting production in July 2017 at Plant Dingolfing.

2018 540d diesel

The 540d is available in xDrive only and will be powered by the 3.0 liter quad turbo six cylinder B57 engine. With 394 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque the 540d with xDrive will move. Especially impressive is that all of that torque comes in at just a tick over 2,000 rpm and stays there until nearly 4,000. Redline is around 6000 rpms so the engine has some range for an oil burner.

No word on pricing yet, the 2018 5 Series pricing thread will be updated as soon as we know.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great! Thanks for sharing.
Those are some impressive numbers; seems that they are bringing the real 540d this time (as the US 535d was really a euro 530d).
Only downside - rwd not offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yesssssss!!! My 3 series lease is up in March 18 and this was the ride I was hoping to acquire!! Thanks for the update!

Edit: Tim, those power & torque numbers look like they're competing with the M550i and not the 540i.... Are you certain the hp & torque ratings are accurate for what's being offered here??

·
Registered
504 Posts
BMW diesel fans have been waiting to know if BMW was going to bring a 5 Series diesel to the US. The fear was that VW Dieselgate had killed diesel momentum for German brands in America. In the 2018 BMW production schedule the 540d xDrive is clearly starting production in July 2017 at Plant Dingolfing.

2018 540d diesel

The 540d is available in xDrive only an dwill be powered by the 3.0 liter quad turbo six cylinder B57 engine. With 394 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque the 540d with xDrive will move. Especially impressive is that all of that torque comes in at just a tick over 2,000 rpm and stays there until nearly 4,000. Redline is around 6000 rpms so the engine has some range for a oil burner.

No word on pricing yet, the 2018 5 Series pricing thread will be updated as soon as we know.
Are you sure the B57 in the 540d is going to be 394hp and 561 lb-ft?

They don't offer a 540d in Europe yet, but the 740d is 320hp and 750d is 400hp (This is version you described). I suspect they will re-badge the EU 530d with 265hp as the US 540d.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Wow! That would be a sweet ride. A real alternative to the 550i with reasonable fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Are you sure the B57 in the 540d is going to be 394hp and 561 lb-ft?

They don't offer a 540d in Europe yet, but the 740d is 320hp and 750d is 400hp (This is version you described). I suspect they will re-badge the EU 530d with 265hp as the US 540d.
In Europe they have the M550d which makes those numbers, I just hope that those number stay when it comes stateside.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hopefully B57 will be on 2018 X5 that will be one amazing SUV

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Looking at it, I'm not getting my hopes up. They're likely rebadging the Euro 530d into a US 540d....
That would be terrible. I really like my Diesel but it bothered me for three years that mine was incorrectly badged for this market.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Would be nice if they offered a RWD version, but unfortunately that's not in the cards.
I'm wondering what the objection is to AWD, even though you don't really need it for your climate. Audi has been selling AWD cars in the US for years and its just a given that is the way the car comes. In a 4,200 lb saloon, I can't believe that the RWD car would be drive so aggressively as to be breaking traction with the rear wheels to oversteer the car through corners. Even if that was the case, my 2013 535 x Drive has got a fair bit of rear bias and on slippery surfaces with the dynamic traction control engaged, the back end will easily "step out" when I drive aggressively around a corner.

Is there something else I'm missing? :)

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
It's a question of cost, weight and handling. Adding AWD takes away from road feel and adds extra weight to the car. Audi is not a fair comparison because the non-AWD car is FWD.

I'm wondering what the objection is to AWD, even though you don't really need it for your climate. Audi has been selling AWD cars in the US for years and its just a given that is the way the car comes. In a 4,200 lb saloon, I can't believe that the RWD car would be drive so aggressively as to be breaking traction with the rear wheels to oversteer the car through corners. Even if that was the case, my 2013 535 x Drive has got a fair bit of rear bias and on slippery surfaces with the dynamic traction control engaged, the back end will easily "step out" when I drive aggressively around a corner.

Is there something else I'm missing? :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's a question of cost, weight and handling. Adding AWD takes away from road feel and adds extra weight to the car. Audi is not a fair comparison because the non-AWD car is FWD.
Can you feel the weight? the car weights #4,500 so when you take away 150 lbs, do you really feel it? I could see this argument in the 2 series or 4 series, but not with the 5 series/7 series.

My point with respect to Audi, is that they built their car business, in part with AWD offerings and consumers have embraced it. There are performance driving advantages to it as well. Looking at some of the higher performing cars (Porsche, etc.) AWD cars consistently do better in straight line performance and track cornering than their 2WD counterparts. The upcoming M5 will have an AWD (rear biased) option to harness the engine's power.

The RWD M550 will spend a lot of its time with the traction control engaged in quick off the starts to control wheel spin. In the rain, it will be worse.

Anyway, to each his own, but I wouldn't be bummed out about an AWD only version of the diesel. :)

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I don't know if you can feel the weight, but I do know that AWD makes a noticeable difference in the 3 Series wagons. Road feel is just altogether different as compared to the RWD sedans and it slows the car down. Further, the weight difference between the F30 and the G30 have narrowed to a few hundred pounds. I think the 540i is currently 3,847 pounds, so the extra 175 isn't insignificant.

I would have no issue if there is no RWD version available in other markets. However, if it comes both ways, why not just offer us a choice, as with the 540i?

Can you feel the weight? the car weights #4,500 so when you take away 150 lbs, do you really feel it?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes, you can feel the weight in an AWD car in the turns. The G30 especially with the bigger engines are very nose heavy. So much so that BMW decided to use a 24v EPS on the V8. I haven't driven the M550i yet but that's a dynamic of a nose heavy car is not desired which is why most good sport cars are rear or mid-engine or at very least well balanced front engine.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I think you go back to the Roadfly days, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, you can feel the weight in an AWD car in the turns. The G30 especially with the bigger engines are very nose heavy. So much so that BMW decided to use a 24v EPS on the V8. I haven't driven the M550i yet but that's a dynamic of a nose heavy car is not desired which is why most good sport cars are rear or mid-engine or at very least well balanced front engine.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Maybe? :angel:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts