Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got a small chip on the front hood cover, and I need to know the
color code of the Dark Graphite paint . Anybody knows where to find it?

I had looked closely at the labels inside of the hood cover and on the door
pillars but I do NOT seem to gain any useful info.

BTW, is it true that BMW dealers do NOT carry touch-up paints?
And most folks go to a German EBAYER to get the touch-up paint
with the paint code?

Thanks,
fy7890.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
BMW dealers carry touch-up paint, and it comes with two bottles, color and clear.

The first trick with touch-up paint is to go to an art supply store and buy the smallest brush they sell, the ones used to paint faces on grains of rice. The brush that comes inside the bottle is too big.

The second trick is to put ONE dob of paint into the chip, with that small brush you bought. Then, walk away and let it dry. Oh, and clean your brush out. When that one dob is dry, come back and put ONE more. Repeat as necessary. The last dob can be the clear.

·
Registered
687 Posts
BMW dealers carry touch-up paint, and it comes with two bottles, color and clear.

The first trick with touch-up paint is to go to an art supply store and buy the smallest brush they sell, the ones used to paint faces on grains of rice. The brush that comes inside the bottle is too big.

The second trick is to put ONE dob of paint into the chip, with that small brush you bought. Then, walk away and let it dry. Oh, and clean your brush out. When that one dob is dry, come back and put ONE more. Repeat as necessary. The last dob can be the clear.
Good advice Putz!:thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info. and instructions!

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Have it professionally done if someone will show up. There are some really good touch up & finish people. They have the proper finishing tools and techniques. Most of the time a DIY looks like a DIY.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody has experience using Dr. Colorchip / ChipFixx Kit to fix the
paint chips on the hood?

These kits involve putting on the touchup paints, let it dry , and follows
by applying a "leveler" solution to remove the excess paint around the chip.

Are they safe on the clearcoat ?

Thanks!

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Anybody has experience using Dr. Colorchip / ChipFixx Kit to fix the
paint chips on the hood?

These kits involve putting on the touchup paints, let it dry , and follows
by applying a "leveler" solution to remove the excess paint around the chip.

Are they safe on the clearcoat ?

Thanks!
I watched a chip get repaired at a body shop. A double edge razor blade was used to gently reduced/even the touch up paint. After various grits of wet sand paper rolled on a credit card helped to blend in. A buffer with finishing compound to bring up the gloss.

Watch uTubes for "How To's". May I suggest practice a few times on an older car or piece of metal. With practice and the proper finishing tools you can get good at it. EASTWOOD https://www.eastwood.com might have good kits to work with.
Watch the video .....start at 6:15....how to finish after Overbuilding touch up paint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-R8pTniSAM
There are a few vids on uTube. I would mask around the chip before sanding to reduce sanding good paint.

Paint codes are sometimes located in the glove box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts