Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BMW has Bridgestone Alenza Runflats. In talking to dealership and Bridgestone, no one can tell me what's the lowest ambient temperature I can safely operate the car with these tires, but both entities are doing further research.

Does anyone on the forum have definitive information to this question regarding these tires? I know what TireRack.com says and that's where Bridgestone's Corporate Customer Service went to find an answer before asking me to email so they could further research.

Fronts 245/45R20 103W
Rears 275/40R20 106W

·
Flying monkey herder
8,163 Posts
i guess define safely?
generally:
summer tires tend to begin to lose grip at 45F, moreso if its wet out
forget driving on snow or slush.
they may begin to crack around 25F due to the rubber hardening.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luigi524td:

Thank you for the Bridgestone link, it speaks directly to Summer tire specs.

However, finding specs on their "Alenza" model, whether it's rated "Summer" or something different, and specifically their tires developed (??) for BMW (which are suppose to have some special marking) is the information I'm seeking.

This is my first BMW and have never dealt with, or was aware of, tires & their ambient operating temp ranges with prior cars (Corvette, Jeep, Acura, Honda). Until a friend commented I might have Summer tires, I didn't know of their low temp range and glass transition. Asking BMW personnel and others, "glass transition" is not a common phrase to many, but its meaning is eye opening. Thus my questions.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
All-season tires are marked "M+S" (mud and snow) near the size markings. They (almost) always have smaller tread blocks, and little cuts (sipes) in the tread blocks. That makes the blocks bend and dig an edge into the mud and snow for better traction. If you're in Houston, Texas and have summer tires, call in sick or call Uber when there's snow on the roads. If you're in Houston County, Minnesota, buy a set of winter tires on dedicated winter wheels.

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, Alenza is an all-season tire. Designed to be driven in all weather.

And if you're in Houston (TX), there is no way they put anything but an all-season tire on your X3. We never get summer or winter tires here by the dealer, nor do we need them, for any practical reason. In my 40 years of buying cars here, I can't recall driving anything but an all-season tire.

If you're not in Houston TX, well... nevermind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Astrohip:

I thought the same as you - A/S tires - in Houston. But come to find out the X3 M40i comes with "Summer" tires per Bridgestone's description of the Alenza Run Flat:

Street/Sport Truck Summer light truck tires are for drivers who want to combine aggressive low-profile tires with large rim diameter wheels to enhance their vehicle's appearance. Sometimes used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on 2WD and 4WD pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicles, Street/Sport Truck Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

So during Texas' winter months one should be careful traveling west of Katy or north of The Woodlands; that's boring.

luigi52td, thank you again for the link you provided.

I have my answer.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
The X3 M40i offers optional 19" wheels, square set-up, with all-season RFT's. The X3 30i also offers the same but with either RFt's or non-RFT's. We opted for the non-RFT's.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,163 Posts
It seems for 2018 the M40i came stock with summer perf tires, with all seasons optional.
they flipped it for 2019, stock are all seasons, summers are no cost option.

alenzas are definately summer perf tires. the all seasons bridgestones are the dueler h/p

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
I have the 2019 with the all-season tires. Hard to imagine a summer tire coming as std equipment on a car here (or anywhere). Doesn't that pretty much force you to buy a second set of tires, come winter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More so looking for all-season replacement tires before next fall and parking car in garage this coming week if the weather gurus are correct.

·
Registered
763 Posts
More so looking for all-season replacement tires before next fall and parking car in garage this coming week if the weather gurus are correct.
Don't worry about what a little cold down there in TX will do to those summer tires. I also have a 2018 M40i up here in Chicago that I had no clue had pirelli summer tires on it, I thought all standard 19" tires on BMW's in the Midwest region had all season run flats. I drove them through snow and ice and the sub zero -20 F days we had up here and other than simply adding air for the colder temps the tires are still fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't worry about what a little cold down there in TX will do to those summer tires. I also have a 2018 M40i up here in Chicago that I had no clue had pirelli summer tires on it, I thought all standard 19" tires on BMW's in the Midwest region had all season run flats. I drove them through snow and ice and the sub zero -20 F days we had up here and other than simply adding air for the colder temps the tires are still fine.
mtbrdad:

When Chicagoans have to go to Blackhawk games just to warm up and skate there on summer tires, y'all are my heroes, but please keep the cold up there. Thanks for sharing your experiences with summer tires in extreme winter conditions, I should just cowboy-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts