Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Somehow my metallic graphite color x3 is a bird dropping magnet.
The nasty thing is that when I promptly remove the bird droppings
as soon as I see them, with water, some of them will leave a mark
on the clear coat.

Research from the web found that bird droppings are acidic and it is
corrosive to the clear coat. The clear coat has been slightly striped
away. It looks like a permanent damage on the clearcoat.

Does anybody know how to remove the marks on the clearcoat?
I think somebody mentioned there are buffing polymer paste that
is suitable for this purpose in the other threads?

Thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
FY,

Are you kidding? You have an almost new car and that should not be happening. Take it to the dealer and get it covered under your warranty. Birds are everywhere for goodness sake!:thumbup:

Joe:)

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Have it professionally detailed. My 2014 got covered with some kind of berries and stained the paint. I worked for hours with a buffer and various compounds. Take it to the dealer....talk to their detail people and see what they can do. They have seen this before.
Unless you have a paint protection plan don't expect a freebie. It's not the vehicles fault.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have it professionally detailed. My 2014 got covered with some kind of berries and stained the paint. I worked for hours with a buffer and various compounds. Take it to the dealer....talk to their detail people and see what they can do. They have seen this before.
Unless you have a paint protection plan don't expect a freebie. It's not the vehicles fault.
And gentlemen, that's one of the advantages of getting the car ceramic coated when you first get it! :thumbup: Mine is easy to take care of and shines like a mirror.;)

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
And gentlemen, that's one of the advantages of getting the car ceramic coated when you first get it! :thumbup: Mine is easy to take care of and shines like a mirror.;)

Totally agree. My buddy has the coating on his car ..... took a hit from an egg and bird doo. Ceramic Coating works.
But be careful when you purchase a Paint Protection plan from BMW. It is nothing more than an insurance policy. No protective coating is applied the paint surface. They will say it was coated.

Ceramic Coating and BMW Paint Protection Plan are not the same. One is a physical coating. The other is a piece of paper (3rd party insurance policy)

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,467 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts