BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in finding either a new or CPO 3.5d to use for some towing. It will be pulling a 21' boat with a total weight of around 3500 lbs. Anyone have any experience with that kind of towing, and how the X5 handles it?

· Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 125+K miles NOKIAN WR G4
24,540 Posts
Yes. There is vast trailer towing comment maybe in the E70 forum.

· Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2015 X5 diesel. Using information from users on this site and other sites, I added an invisihitch to the car when it was new.

The hitch is nice in that you can remove the draw bar when not in use and the hitch cannot be seen. The only limitation with the hitch are the ears for safety cables - they are small and close to the hitch and so have little clearance for hooks. I use D-rings rated for the weight and then connect the safety cable hooks to those.

My trailer has electric over hydraulic brakes and so requires a brake controller in the tow vehicle. I purchased the BMW version of the Tekonsha brake controller kit with its long cable. Rather than install the controller permanently, I just plug it in in the rear, run the cable between the seats to the front, and mount the controller in the a cup holder for those few times I pull a trailer with the x5.

The car pulled my 18 foot boat great (about 3500 pounds max). It also pulls my 23 foot boat (about 7500 pounds max) OK - the x5 has plenty of power and braking ability but the rear suspension is a bit soft for that weight and sits near the bottom of its travel.

I towed only short distances like 10 miles over local roads and never got above about 45 MPH. For the lighter boat I would have no hesitations taking a long trip at highway speeds. For the heavy boat I would not want to take a long towing trip.

I have a Tundra truck for normal tow duty, but it is nice to have the x5 as an option.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your info. I purchased the X5 yesterday, and sent an email to Execuhitch to get some information. Interestingly, when I asked the dealer (BMW of Gwinnett Place here in Atlanta) about towing, he also asked what hitch I planned on using, and I told him Execuhitch. That was what he was going to suggest.

· Vendor
263 Posts
Another option is a Stealth Hitch! Stealth Hitches are available and currently supply to several BMW Dealerships.
Stealth Hitches latch block is stainless steel and completely undetectable until needed. We connect directly to the chassis exactly like the OEM hitch to protect the crumple zones.
Our rack receiver for rack and ball mount for towing are interchangeable and can be inserted and removed in seconds without tools.
Stealth Hitches come with an intergral lock to protect against theft.
Please visit our website https://stealthhitches.com/ as we fit all X5s. Also check out our Stealth Hitches Customer Review Page on this forum for reviews and photos! Take advantage of our forum member 20% off discount during January using code FORUM19

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.