Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The only disappointing aspect to the new X5 is the limited choice of colors. Sunstone is OK, but I would prefer it in Glacier Silver which is not available.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't understand why then they don't offer more colors, & simply do the same thing at Sunstone- don't offer ACC or the DAP. I would love Space Gray

·
Registered
65 Posts
You also can't order ACC and the Driver Assistance Package with the Sunstone due to camera limitations.
This has confused me - the color of the paint makes a difference in the available packages? You can order an X5 with all options essentially in blue, black, or white. That's pretty basic. Have owned X5s in the past, and I don't recall they were limited to the color spectrum of the NYT editorial page.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This has confused me - the color of the paint makes a difference in the available packages? You can order an X5 with all options essentially in blue, black, or white. That's pretty basic. Have owned X5s in the past, and I don't recall they were limited to the color spectrum of the NYT editorial page.
From what I read it has to do with the light color. The camera(s) don't work properly with the lighter colors so those options aren't offered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From what I read it has to do with the light color. The camera(s) don't work properly with the lighter colors so those options aren't offered.

Apparently, they work with white. And with every other manufacturer's light colors, including my 2018 Audi Q7 in Cobra Beige, very similar to Sunstone. And with my previous X5d in Mineral Silver, virtually identical. Over to you, BMW....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Apparently, they work with white. And with every other manufacturer's light colors, including my 2018 Audi Q7 in Cobra Beige, very similar to Sunstone. And with my previous X5d in Mineral Silver, virtually identical. Over to you, BMW....
White and Sunstone are very different and so are the cameras and the software between BMW and Audi.

EDIT: Just did a little more reading and some folks are reporting that they have ordered ACC with the Sunstone Metallic and that is allowed. Looks like the KAFAS mid that is used for ACC will work with Sunstone but the KAFAS high does not so that is why the DAP can't be ordered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
White and Sunstone are very different and so are the cameras and the software between BMW and Audi.

I'll add the fact that other similar colors will be offered as "custom" in April. If a particular shade of a particular color is going to somehow "throw off" camera function in my car, I would be concerned about essential driving functions operating in traffic, and the X5 would definitely be off my next shopping list. This is BMW BS, and I have experienced it before in my 30 years-plus ownership. Software and hardware, particularly among German cars, is frequenty sourced from the same place - check the future shared Nav software between Audi, BMW and MB. The first run was a trial, with limited options because it's cheaper. Sales success will add colors to the palette, and the "camera limitation" will be magically fixed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'll add the fact that other similar colors will be offered as "custom" in April. If a particular shade of a particular color is going to somehow "throw off" camera function in my car, I would be concerned about essential driving functions operating in traffic, and the X5 would definitely be off my next shopping list. This is BMW BS, and I have experienced it before in my 30 years-plus ownership. Software and hardware, particularly among German cars, is frequenty sourced from the same place - check the future shared Nav software between Audi, BMW and MB. The first run was a trial, with limited options because it's cheaper. Sales success will add colors to the palette, and the "camera limitation" will be magically fixed.
You may be correct but highly unlikely. Why would they use the same exact "strategy" on the X3? You can't get all driving assistance with Sunstone Metallic either?

I hope they do offer everything with all colors at some point.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may be correct but highly unlikely. Why would they use the same exact "strategy" on the X3? You can't get all driving assistance with Sunstone Metallic either?

I hope they do offer everything with all colors at some point.
You can configure a 5-Series right now in Rhodonite Silver Metallic with DAP and all the other options, I assume with the same software and hardware. Very similar to Sunstone, but maybe the camera doesn't like that subtle shade of tan. Or maybe the shape of the front grill or hood on the X5 doesn't work with Sunstone. Wind resistance is probably different with Sunstone. Or the sun reflecting off swamp gas on Venus. Yeah, that's the ticket....

·
Registered
497 Posts
PHP:
You can configure a 5-Series right now in Rhodonite Silver Metallic with DAP and all the other options, I assume with the same software and hardware. Very similar to Sunstone, but maybe the camera doesn't like that subtle shade of tan. Or maybe the shape of the front grill or hood on the X5 doesn't work with Sunstone. Wind resistance is probably different with Sunstone. Yeah, that's the ticket....
I see someone wants to have an adult discussion. Have fun playing with yourself because I'm not biting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PHP:
I see someone wants to have an adult discussion. Have fun playing with yourself because I'm not biting.
My apologies if I came across that way. I'm neither a hater nor a fanboy, and I've probably owned BMWs a lot longer than you, hence my frustration is greater with this type of needless crap from the Blue Propeller. I also lived in Germany for several years, so I should be used to the Teutonic temperament and philosophy. I still remember my first Bimmer, when I asked the SM where I changed the oil, looking at all the plastic cowling on the engine. He drew himself up to his full Germanic height, and said "BAY EM VAY CHANGE ZA OIL!" Achtung!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok, that is what it seemed like. The colors are totally different so those can't be compared. The cameras/software/systems are different so you can't compare what is in the X5 to the 5-Series.

I just don't see any way your "The first run was a trial, with limited options because it's cheaper." theory can hold water. How could it be cheaper for them to not offer a package that the consumer pays extra for on a specific color? If the color does not matter, how does it take any extra effort on the assembly line to install the KAFAS high camera into a Sunstone Metallic painted vehicle versus any other color? Where exactly is it cheaper for them to not offer a package?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Expense is just a theory; could be just because it's easier. I don't know what's involved in changing colors on the line, or how BMW does its calculus, but clearly they have announced they will offer other colors later this year, some of which are a light shade of brown or silver, so the color/camera thing is obviously not the terminal explanation. I'm sure BMW has data on what colors customers buy, and traditionally (I'll use green as an example - maybe less than 1%), they stop offering. Mineral Silver was an almost identical color to Sunstone, and it was phased out in a couple of years, although I think it was one of the most attractive colors they offered. About 98% of customers didn't think so. So I'm just guessing that would be a starting point for any new configuration, with maybe an option in the M (which they have done) to test the waters. Pennies make a difference in the auto industry, and I understand that. It just galls me that their official response would be "camera doesn't work." Achtung!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Expense is just a theory; could be just because it's easier. I don't know what's involved in changing colors on the line, or how BMW does its calculus, but clearly they have announced they will offer other colors later this year, some of which are a light shade of brown or silver, so the color/camera thing is obviously not the terminal explanation. I'm sure BMW has data on what colors customers buy, and traditionally (I'll use green as an example - maybe less than 1%), they stop offering. Mineral Silver was an almost identical color to Sunstone, and it was phased out in a couple of years, although I think it was one of the most attractive colors they offered. About 98% of customers didn't think so. So I'm just guessing that would be a starting point for any new configuration, with maybe an option in the M (which they have done) to test the waters. Pennies make a difference in the auto industry, and I understand that. It just galls me that their official response would be "camera doesn't work." Achtung!
Easier is means less expense. ;). Either way, that is not how their production line works. The colors/painting is done separately from the interior. I'm not going to argue with you since you can have your option, just saying that logically it doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Take it easy.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It could be as simple as the supplier of the cameras hasn't been able to produce the bezel in a sufficiently stable and exact color match. I had a delay way back when when I tried to order an Audi...they had trouble getting the plastic panels for the car (bumper covers, etc.) to look proper versus the steel ones once painted on my preferred color. I seriously doubt it is a problem for the camera itself.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It could be as simple as the supplier of the cameras hasn't been able to produce the bezel in a sufficiently stable and exact color match. I had a delay way back when when I tried to order an Audi...they had trouble getting the plastic panels for the car (bumper covers, etc.) to look proper versus the steel ones once painted on my preferred color. I seriously doubt it is a problem for the camera itself.
All of the cameras are the same color I think. The consensus seems to be that it was due to the reflectiveness of the paint interfering with the camera.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did see one funny comment from a reviewer of the 2019 on the initial very limited color range (hasn't gone unnoticed in the auto world) - paraphrasing, "just because you change the name doesn't mean it isn't black."

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Sunstone - only showing for MSport trim

You also can't order ACC and the Driver Assistance Package with the Sunstone due to camera limitations.
Can't get that color in X-Line either.

It's an OK color but IMHO might be better suited dressed like the previous X5's "luxury" trim level [not the current X-Line] with stainless trim vs the black shadowline MSport aero pkg.

For any other color choices there are always wraps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts