BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this question has already been asked...

My lease on my 340i is going to be ending in 6 months. From what I understand, the G20 M3 won't be out yet. Will it still be possible to custom order a new 2019 M3? Or is my only option to try to find a left-over 2018 M3 on a dealer's lot?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a black-out period where it's no longer possible to lease an F30 M3, yet the G20 M3 isn't yet available. And if so, approximately when would this blackout period occur?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought I had read the next M3 would be around 2020-ish? I could be wrong, probably best to ask your local dealer they should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
F80 M3 is done and you just have to wait for next generation release, there is no such as thing 2019 M3.

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
I think they're still making the M4. I recall reading that the M3 was discontinued early because there wasn't room under the car for a gasoline particulate filter (GPF) now required in the EU. That's also why they discontinued the carbon fiber driveshaft on those cars.

Also, it's normal practice for the 3 Series sedan to change platforms first, with the coupes, wagons, and convertibles to continue with the old platform and to change the following year.

You might be able to wheel and deal on a factory fresh, customer-ordered F82 M4 now, since the F3X/F8X is at the end if it's production cycle. The next M2/3/4 and /X3/4M motor, the S58, will be 500+ h.p. So, the current cars will soon be considered sloooow. Remind them of that when negotiating price.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
I apologize if this question has already been asked...

My lease on my 340i is going to be ending in 6 months. From what I understand, the G20 M3 won't be out yet. Will it still be possible to custom order a new 2019 M3? Or is my only option to try to find a left-over 2018 M3 on a dealer's lot?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a black-out period where it's no longer possible to lease an F30 M3, yet the G20 M3 isn't yet available. And if so, approximately when would this blackout period occur?
As said, there is no 2019 M3, and in 6 months you wont be able to LEASE a 2018 M3 either (you might find one to buy, but there will be no lease support).

M cars normally have a dead time in between models. There is no 2019 M3, and there may or may not be a 2020 M3. My bet is that the next M3 is a 2021, released in august of 2020.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback. This forum rocks. Based on this new info, I'll have several options to consider...

1. Try to break my lease early and lease a new 2018 M3 now, assuming I can find one I like on a dealer's lot
2. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy my own car so I can then wait another year for the 2020 M3.
3. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy some cheap used car (like a GTI or something) to tide me over until the the 2020 M3.
4. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy a used 2017 M3. Keep that for a couple years, then buy a new 2021 M3.

These are tough decisions to make, especially considering I don't even know what the G20 M3 is going to look like. As it's not even out yet, you can't even read reviews. So I'm just "hoping" that I will like it. For what it's worth, I actually prefer my 2017 340i M-Sport to the newer M340i - especially the front end (lights, grill, etc).

So, as of now, I might pursue option 1. If that doesn't work out, I'll go with option 4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I personally like 1 & 4, but it's not my money :)
I'm sure I'll have some new car envy when the next M's roll out, but that's natural. My buddy has a philosophy with his '12 R1 street bike, he decided to upgrade it every year or so opposed to buying a new one all the time. His bike isn't that much slower than the average litre bike and it's paid for :) I'm going to try and apply that to my car :)
Happy hunting

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are some great leasing deals now on 2018's

There are some great leasing deals now on 2018's. MSRP reductions of at least 10% and large incentives from BMW. If you want to lease an F80....now is the time

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are some great leasing deals now on 2018's. MSRP reductions of at least 10% and large incentives from BMW. If you want to lease an F80....now is the time
Good point. As far as having future envy of the G20 M3, I could always get a two-year lease to minimize that risk. Also, I live in a city so I rarely get to use the full power of my 340i. I have a feeling that the current M3 would be more than adequate.

I'm gonna run my options by my dealer and go from there. Sure I might be able to get a good deal on a 2018 M3, but I might also take a bath to break my lease 6 months early.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. This forum rocks. Based on this new info, I'll have several options to consider...

1. Try to break my lease early and lease a new 2018 M3 now, assuming I can find one I like on a dealer's lot
2. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy my own car so I can then wait another year for the 2020 M3.
3. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy some cheap used car (like a GTI or something) to tide me over until the the 2020 M3.
4. See my lease through until it ends in Oct, then buy a used 2017 M3. Keep that for a couple years, then buy a new 2021 M3.

These are tough decisions to make, especially considering I don't even know what the G20 M3 is going to look like. As it's not even out yet, you can't even read reviews. So I'm just "hoping" that I will like it. For what it's worth, I actually prefer my 2017 340i M-Sport to the newer M340i - especially the front end (lights, grill, etc).

So, as of now, I might pursue option 1. If that doesn't work out, I'll go with option 4.
5. Extend your lease by 6 months and postpone this decision until March 2020. By that time, it should be clear when you will be able to order a G80 M3.

Basically, I'm in the same situation. My F80 lease expires in Sep 2019 and I've already investigated all the options.

Option 1 is ok if you can get the dealer to eat the remaining lease on your car AND find one you like. I did an inventory search a few weeks ago and couldn't find any with manual transmission for example... That's a deal breaker for me because if all I can get is automatic, I'd probably just get the new RS5, or C63. Or the Giulia QF if I live close to an Alfa dealer that I'm sure I will visit often.

Option 2 is no go now that BMW won't let you negotiate with dealer to buy the car. You would be crazy to want to pay the residual value on your 2016 F30... it is worth significantly less than what BMW will want. The Sep 2016 residual value on my M3 was 66% so was your 340i... Go look at how much 2016 340i is going for now... not anywhere near 66% of MSRP.

Option 3 is fine but why buy a cheap car when you can just keep driving your existing car.

Option 4 is not really an attractive option for me but if it floats your boat, go for it.

So go with option 5... BMWFS will let you extend the lease for 2 months no questions asked. And a competent dealer can assign a dummy VIN (from a car they are ordering for inventory) to your BMWFS account and extend you existing lease by 6 months.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to my dealer today and option 1 is out. He said I'd take a bath on my current car and when I search for new M3s, there aren't many that tick my boxes. Also, if I were to lease a 2018 M3 now, I might get car envy in 2020 but be stuck with a lease. That would suck.

I wasn't aware about the issue with the residuals which make option 2 much less appealing. Thanks for pointing that out! The last thing I want to do is buy a used car and be instantly $5k upside down. My car is a 2017, not 2016. Does that change anything?

I'll look into option 5. Depending on how long I could extend the lease, it may or may not buy me enough time.

Option 4 is still on the table. If I buy a used M3, I wouldn't be "stuck" in a lease when the new G30 eventually comes out. So if I got car envy, I'd have a lot more freedom and options. And, I'd get to experience something different for a year or two, which is more exciting than another year of my current car (even though I still enjoy my current car a lot).

·
Registered
343 Posts
2017 3 series residual was 62% in Sep 2016 (36/10k)

Less insane than the 66% on 2016 model but still unrealistic.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Option 6...assume someone***8217;s M3 lease in October for 1 year and you***8217;ll be right at when the new M3s are coming out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Option 6...assume someone's M3 lease in October for 1 year and you'll be right at when the new M3s are coming out.
Yeah, I thought about that too. I was just checking out lease swaps the other day and saw some good options. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about being upside down in a used car.

Has anybody done a lease swap before? Is it really as easy as the website makes it seem? I'm a little worried about buying a car site unseen and just hoping it's mint and mechanically sound.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I talked to my dealer today and option 1 is out. He said I'd take a bath on my current car and when I search for new M3s, there aren't many that tick my boxes. Also, if I were to lease a 2018 M3 now, I might get car envy in 2020 but be stuck with a lease. That would suck.

I wasn't aware about the issue with the residuals which make option 2 much less appealing. Thanks for pointing that out! The last thing I want to do is buy a used car and be instantly $5k upside down. My car is a 2017, not 2016. Does that change anything?

I'll look into option 5. Depending on how long I could extend the lease, it may or may not buy me enough time.

Option 4 is still on the table. If I buy a used M3, I wouldn't be "stuck" in a lease when the new G30 eventually comes out. So if I got car envy, I'd have a lot more freedom and options. And, I'd get to experience something different for a year or two, which is more exciting than another year of my current car (even though I still enjoy my current car a lot).
FYI the new M3 will be the G80, the G20 is the reg 3 series. I would not worry at all about having a 2018 M3 lease while the G80 M3 comes out for several reasons.
- As has been stated you can get a great deal on an M3 right now
- The earliest we might see the next M3 will be late fall 2020
- Buying a first year model might not be the best idea
- You will pay a high premium to get the first model year - prob not much discounts
- So you will be enjoying the current M3 for a while and don't have to worry about depreciation.

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
FYI the new M3 will be the G80, the G20 is the reg 3 series. I would not worry at all about having a 2018 M3 lease while the G80 M3 comes out for several reasons.
- You will pay a high premium to get the first model year - prob not much discounts
- So you will be enjoying the current M3 for a while and don't have to worry about depreciation.
If you're leasing, you're paying out the nose for deprecation. The idea that leasing is a way to avoid deprecation is a myth perpetuated by BMW salesman and people who lease a car they couldn't afford to buy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you're leasing, you're paying out the nose for deprecation. The idea that leasing is a way to avoid deprecation is a myth perpetuated by BMW salesman and people who lease a car they couldn't afford to buy.
I don't think you understood what I was trying to say or maybe i didn't explain it well or both. Anyway, of course you are paying depreciation . . but on a lease the depreciation is set, you know the terms ahead of time and you know how much depreciation you are paying and how much interest . . . it's not suddenly going to change after one year of ownership because a new model is coming out or because your engine might have failed after 6 months or maybe because you were involved in an accident and the car was repaired.

By the way, let's not turn this into a lease vs buy argument bc that's not at all where I am going with it. My comments were directed to the OP as in one post the OP was concerned about leasing a 2018 M3 when the new model might come out in a couple of years.
Ex I just leased a 2018 M3 CS two months ago, I don't care what happens with the M3cs value in the future . . I like the car now, got a great deal, I'll drive it for the next three years, then i'll decide about getting the new M3 or not.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All great points. I'm wondering if there will be any new M3s left to lease by the time I need a new car in October. If not, I could always buy one or look into a lease swap. Then I'd be nicely positioned to pick up the G80 during it's 2nd model year.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to taking lots of fun test drives this summer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts