Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys...first time poster here. Back in November I paid a $1,000 deposit on a '19 M550i build. Since then, my Credit Union has issued a check (minus the down payment I was set to make at time of delivery). I've yet to go in to sign the check...I'm assuming the dealer was waiting until delivery as well. Here's my delima, through research, I now know that the 2020 model will likely get the upgraded engine found in the M850i (67HP increase) and a mild refresh to interior and exterior...including the new laser headlights and idrive 7.0. I love the car but with a 92k sticker, I just want to be completely content with my purchase. The current build is now enroute to the U.S. so I'd like to know (in your experience), what are my options in terms of canceling my order without penalty. The $1,000 deposit isn't much of an issue since I'd probably just give it to the salesman for all of his help with putting the order together.
***Alpine White...Tartufo Full Merino...B&W...Display Key...Ceramic Controls...Leather Dash...Executive...Driving Assistance Plus...Premium Package 2...Luxury Seating...Parking Assist...Piano Black Trim...Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Spoiler and Diffuser...20" 759***

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys...first time poster here. Back in November I paid a $1,000 deposit on a '19 M550i build. Since then, my Credit Union has issued a check (minus the down payment I was set to make at time of delivery). I've yet to go in to sign the check...I'm assuming the dealer was waiting until delivery as well. Here's my delima, through research, I now know that the 2020 model will likely get the upgraded engine found in the M850i (67HP increase) and a mild refresh to interior and exterior...including the new laser headlights and idrive 7.0. I love the car but with a 92k sticker, I just want to be completely content with my purchase. The current build is now enroute to the U.S. so I'd like to know (in your experience), what are my options in terms of canceling my order without penalty. The $1,000 deposit isn't much of an issue since I'd probably just give it to the salesman for all of his help with putting the order together.
***Alpine White...Tartufo Full Merino...B&W...Display Key...Ceramic Controls...Leather Dash...Executive...Driving Assistance Plus...Premium Package 2...Luxury Seating...Parking Assist...Piano Black Trim...Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Spoiler and Diffuser...20" 759***
Where did you find out about the 2020MY M550 changes? Are you pretty sure about the Idrive 7.0 in the 2020?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
185 Posts
Also, have you gotten confirmation that US laws have changed? The latest I've seen is that NHTSA is considering updating the laws...but it hasn't happened yet. Until NHTSA approves (and headlights go through testing/approvals), laser headlights won't be making it stateside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, have you gotten confirmation that US laws have changed? The latest I've seen is that NHTSA is considering updating the laws...but it hasn't happened yet. Until NHTSA approves (and headlights go through testing/approvals), laser headlights won't be making it stateside.

Laser Headlights are already here. They’re on the X5 and M850i. I literally just saw them at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cool! Didn't know that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you could back out of deal at any time. They won’t have any problem selling that car. Just the Merino leather adds around six weeks if ordering. I’d be willing to bet they’ll get more for it by not selling it to you as it’ll be sitting in their lot with people drooling over it.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would check your state laws with regard to cancelling an order. For example, in NY, a purchaser can cancel any order including up to and on the day of delivery IF being financed through the dealer and final finance paperwork has not been signed. This is how I cancelled a 540i order after about a month and placed an M550 order with another dealership after changing my mind! Or the dealer may cooperate and just apply your deposit to the 2020 model.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems the 2020 M550i will most likely receive the M850i motor which will come out around fall time, however the revision (LCI) which will refresh the exterior and parts of interior (similar to the 7-series) is going to be for the 2021 5 series, and will start production in July of 2020 and hit dealers later on towards end of 2020.

With that said, there is also a likelihood that the motor won't be changed until the LCI - it's all in the air at this point. Assuming the 2020 5 series does get the new engine and you wait to get the car at the end of this year, if you wait another year the LCI will be out which will be an even bigger upgrade - so at some point need to draw the line in the sand and decide if you want to get the car now and enjoy it, or keep waiting for the newer version.

·
Registered
122 Posts
FWIW, when I placed my order for a 2019 M550i 2 weeks ago, I asked my salesperson whether it was worth waiting a few more months for the 2020 model.
He said that there were no changes planned for the 2020 5 series. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
FWIW, when I placed my order for a 2019 M550i 2 weeks ago, I asked my salesperson whether it was worth waiting a few more months for the 2020 model.
He said that there were no changes planned for the 2020 5 series. We'll just have to wait and see.
it wouldn't make sense to change the motor for 2020 then do an LCI for 2021 - makes more sense to do it all in 2021 with the LCI. but like you said, will wait and see.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What are the chances a salesman actually knows that six months before it comes out?

·
J Roosh
26 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car?

Are you buying or leasing?

There will always be a new and better model coming (by design) and you will drive yourself crazy trying to time a purchase based on what's coming.

If the 2020 is a big improvement over the 2019, so will the 2021 and 2022 models. Exceptions would be buying the first or last year of an all-new design, but even that isn't a hard/fast rule.

·
Registered
228 Posts
U.S. models laser lights are toned down to meet NHTSA regulations. They really are not that much brighter than the current LED lights.

European models laser lights on the other hand are much brighter than LEDs.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If the 2020 is a big improvement over the 2019, so will the 2021 and 2022 models. Exceptions would be buying the first or last year of an all-new design, but even that isn't a hard/fast rule.
Last years don't usually bring any new tech, they usually just create special editions and throw in more options to sell the cars. The LCI is the year that brings big changes - bigger than at any other point in the cars life. That is usually around halfway through the 7 year life span of the model. Other years might bring minor changes, but the OP is thinking of the LCI changes here and those changes are actually worth thinking about.

That being said, the G30 won't be getting the LCI until MY2021 in mid-late 2020 like modthispny said. So unless the OP can wait 18 months for delivery, he may as well get the current model now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts