Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, Sup all!!

First of all, I'm not even sure if I am posting this in the right section, if not I apologize and please Admin or someone can move to correct section.

So here I go.......Man, do I have awesome luck.
Just purchased a 2020 BMW x5, and it has not even been a week and a small rock hit the corner of the windshield which caused it to crack to the bottom left edge, (right under the HUD). Next morning the crackhad spread from bottom corner to middle of the windscreen.

Called BMW Dealership, the earliest they will have the 2020 X5 Windscreens out is Early - Mid November.

This is Insane.....:cry:

Not sure If I can even drive the vehicle with risk of the damage spreading further or worse... shatter.... Or am i overthinking it an it should be fine.

My question is, is the windshield that weak, where a rock that small can cause that much damage, or is the windsheild in itself poorly made

I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure and input on whether it would be safe to drive, or if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what I can do.

Thanks in advance

20190830_174506.jpg

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,972 Posts
The windshield is HIGHLY stressed, being integral to the stiffness of the body. It will not shatter.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F15 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window /
51 31 ...General procedure for the disassembly and installation of bonded window glass

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f15-x5-xdrive35d-sav/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-31-front-rear-window/HHsM71fO

There is likely state statute law on allowable damage to the windshield, and, as you are under full warranty, your dealership may be heavily burdened. Speak to your attorney lawyer. Speak to your insurance company. You may get a loaner until the dealership can make your vehicle legally safe.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Wow a windshield stone hit on such a "high" vehicle seems unusual and unfortunate!

That said, 2 - 3 months wait for a windshield ... Even for a popular low production vehicle that wait is unreal & unacceptable!!

I'd tell / ask your dealer GM to "lean" on BMW NA ... &/Or email them directly. There are several posts scattered through the forum about 'how to write EFFECTIVE complaint letters'. Or Google it.

IMHO bringing in the lawyers is not warranted in this instance.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Glfbggy
588 Posts
Wow a windshield stone hit on such a "high" vehicle seems unusual and unfortunate!

That said, 2 - 3 months wait for a windshield ... Even for a popular low production vehicle that wait is unreal & unacceptable!!

I'd tell / ask your dealer GM to "lean" on BMW NA ... &/Or email them directly. There are several posts scattered through the forum about 'how to write EFFECTIVE complaint letters'. Or Google it.

IMHO bringing in the lawyers is not warranted in this instance.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
+1. While there may not be a ready supply of 'replacement' windshields in the US, there is an inventory for manufacturing at the factory. BMW NA should be able to get access to that inventory for Customer Relationship issues, though it may not be 'packaged' for individual shipment.

I have some sympathy....We bought our '18 f15 in December. We drove it for more than 3K miles in February for an annual trip. At the end of the trip, not more than 6 miles from home, we caught a stone kicked up by a cement truck about 100 yards ahead in the same lane...right in the middle of the windshield...that and a couple small ones earlier in the trip as we moved through eastern Nevada mean a new windshield before winter...

·
Registered
374 Posts
My advise is file a claim under your comprehensive insurance. I would use true glass service and stay away from a dealership on windscreen replacement as they do crappy work. My dealer put glass gule in wrong place cousing wind noise to get in that i didn't find out till next replacement year later.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,972 Posts
The BMW NewTIS procedure is quite precise and meticulous - and that***8217;s what one should expect to pay for.

·
Glfbggy
588 Posts
My advise is file a claim under your comprehensive insurance. I would use true glass service and stay away from a dealership on windscreen replacement as they do crappy work. My dealer put glass gule in wrong place cousing wind noise to get in that i didn't find out till next replacement year later.
my dealer has done good work on previous windscreen replacements. If it doesn't meet your expectations you shouldn't accept the work and require it be done correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been driving for the last 3 months with a cracked windshield, I think you will be ok if you have to drive it. My insurance company covers windshields but won't pay the $2200 that BMW wants for the replacement. It has taken so long to get this straightened out but I now have an appointment to get the glass replaced tomorrow by a reputable installer and an appt. friday for BMW to re calibrate the lane departure sensors etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have been driving for the last 3 months with a cracked windshield, I think you will be ok if you have to drive it. My insurance company covers windshields but won't pay the $2200 that BMW wants for the replacement. It has taken so long to get this straightened out but I now have an appointment to get the glass replaced tomorrow by a reputable installer and an appt. friday for BMW to re calibrate the lane departure sensors etc.
Insurance will pay for OEM windshield if there is no aftermarket replacement available. Majority of replacement cost are parts not labor regardless who installer is. I am on my 3rd windshield and each time was same story ending with OEM windshield.

·
Glfbggy
588 Posts
Insurance will pay for OEM windshield if there is no aftermarket replacement available. Majority of replacement cost are parts not labor regardless who installer is. I am on my 3rd windshield and each time was same story ending with OEM windshield.
+1 don't know who your carrier is, but we are having #3 (three different cars) put in next week. Each covered minus the deductible.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
Im sorry that you bought a brand new vehicle that was just recently released in 2020 and cant get a windshield. one of my coworkers accidentally broke a g20 windshield at my dealership and it took us almost a month to get it ourselfs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by: if there is no aftermarket replacement available?
And what was the total charge for replacement?
I was quoted $2685 from my dealership for 2015 x5 with hud and surrounding cameras..
My insurance State Farm is sending me to do an estimate to drive in facility which is Toyota. Lol
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by: if there is no aftermarket replacement available?
And what was the total charge for replacement?
I was quoted $2685 from my dealership for 2015 x5 with hud and surrounding cameras..
My insurance State Farm is sending me to do an estimate to drive in facility which is Toyota. Lol
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Insurance companies will try to put aftermarket glass instead of OEM due to cost savings (50-60% less compare to OEM glass which is $1100-1200.
I replaced windshield at dealership and high end auto-body repair shop. Both times it was around $1700-1800 total, same options as yours hud,cameras. 2nd time I let auto-body shop handle claim process and fight with insurance company. They proven to Geico there was no aftermarket available and OEM glass was only option and that was installed next day after approval. I only paid my deductible and shop got payout from Geico for reminder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 X5 M50i purchased in October 2019 and have had two windshield replacements in less than a year, due to stone hits near top of windshield alongside rear view mirror. Once on driver side and latest on passenger. Today, was my scheduled day for dealer mobile repair; however, technician broke the new one before replacing it. He is now en route to get another. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. My insurance covers the BMW part (thank goodness), but wondering how many of these I'm going to need for the next few years. Perhaps this is BMW part issue requiring a recall on these windshields.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,972 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
I thought I'd share to this post. Our windshield was broken by a tree branch falling on it one night about a year ago. We are insured by Erie Ins. with a $0 deductible on comp. I told them I wanted a OEM BMW replacement. With the options on this car, they agreed. The local Safelight dealer had one in stock & came to our house the next day. I watched the whole process & was very impressed with their professional skill with the replacement. They had to take it on a 20 min drive to recalibrate the cameras, which has a $200 charge for that. Total cost was about $2300. He told me if I took it to the dealership, they would have gone there to replace it as most dealerships don't do glass. At least that's they way it is here in WNC. On a side note, if you're not aware of it, for like another $20 on your insurance, most companies or at least Erie does, add a $0 deductible on comp. coverage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts