Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My 2020 X5 is currently in stage 3 of the production process (as of yesterday) - assuming that once the main production is complete it will be moving onto body work and paint. I'm so excited the factory opened back up!

I'd like to inquire about proper detailing, detailing products (current) and "addons."

First off, my X5 is Mineral White Metallic with the Canberra Beige Vernasca leather. Being disabled, I won't be detailing this myself much, but I'm looking for advice/product recommendations for mainly interior things I can clean myself to keep up with general cleaning maintenance.

For the seats, I've read that the Sonax Leather Foam is very good and works very well on even the perforated seats. Great smell, neutral/natural finish after cleaning and buffing. Looks to be a winner.

I use Einszett (now Nextzett) Cockpit Premium for the dashboard, screens, A pillars, instrument cluster, armrests, etc... All that good stuff. Open to suggestions of something better to use since most of this is real leather.

For glass, I haven't decided on anything quite yet. I plan to get ceramic tint all the way around (front windshield, 4 windows, panoramic roof and rear window). I know the glass cleaner I have is amazing but always open to try something new.

I plan on getting PPF, so I'm confused about if I should wax/sealant/coat under it, over it, if I should get coating at all, etc. What would you do for max protection and of course keep it looking gorgeous?

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await your opinions/advice! Have a great morning/afternoon/evening and stay safe!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If PPF , I suggest ceramic coat on top to make cleaning easy. I recommend the videos by esoteric care care. Excellent products and advice

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If PPF , I suggest ceramic coat on top to make cleaning easy. I recommend the videos by esoteric care care. Excellent products and advice
I got ceramic tint, PPF and ceramic coating through an installer with great reviews that does a lot of the BMWs from the dealership I went through, Ferraris, Porsches, Teslas, etc. I'm not sure if the ceramic was above or below the PPF; I think above because when I talked to his wife she mentioned they had finished the tint and only needed to add a little bit more PPF to the rear of the vehicle (behind the rear tires, etc) and then I assume they'd do the ceramic coating.

To me, not knowing much about the exterior aspect of detailing, it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you want the ceramic coating on first to "lock in" that protection and deep gloss? One thing was great - he said after the wash and while they were doing the inspection, him and the other installer both agreed this was one of the best factory paint jobs they'd ever seen, and you saw what other kinds of cars they get. Only found 2 minor imperfections which were easily buffed out. So, that made me very happy. He also said as the ceramic coating cures/hardens over 4 weeks or so, it will just get even more glossy. I pick it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it's going to rain and be dreary tomorrow (it was supposed to be ready today so I had my tripod, camera/lens and everything ready to go to find a nice looking empty parking lot to take pictures) so it will just get dirty again, then I'll have to find another detail shop for a wash.

I'm disabled so I can't really do much exterior detailing; I'm super OCD so I do a little interior detailing every day. I'll do a seat here and there, trim, instrument cluster and center console/controls every day. Leather dash every day (I've just been using my 1z cockpit cleaner, haven't tried the Nanolex I bought yet, but I'm wondering about using the Sonax leather foam on the dash).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,530 Posts
I'm super OCD
Super OCD but still don’t know what is “ceramic”? That’s not OCD, THIS is - polydimethylsiloxane AKA Dimethicone

·
Registered
766 Posts
PPF is applied directly to the paint. The paint can be clayed and polished etc, but no wax/sealant/or polydimethylsiloxane AKA Dimethicone should be applied to the surface, The sole purpose of Ceramic coating the PPF is to make washing etc easier. It will not enhance the gloss.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,530 Posts
It will not enhance the gloss.
PDMS is available from IIRC 50 centiPoise to solid and does will enhance the gloss just as ‘wax’ does.

·
Registered
766 Posts
PDMS is available from IIRC 50 centiPoise to solid and does will enhance the gloss just as ‘wax’ does.
Yes, it will enhance the gloss of paint, but should not be applied to paint prior to PPF install as it will reduce the PPF adherence. Per Xpel website.
I do not think it will enhance the gloss much if applied to the PPF, but I plan on applying to the PPF after installation to help with washing the road kill off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got my X5 scheduled tomorrow for ceramic coating and passenger & drivers side window tinting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my X5 scheduled tomorrow for ceramic coating and passenger & drivers side window tinting.
I had XPEL Prime XR Plus installed all the way around, Feynlab ceramic coating (4 year +) and XPEL PPF. Unfortunately it was supposed to be ready yesterday, when it was all sunshine and rainbows; now I'm picking it up and it's like London outside. I wanted to get some good pictures... maybe tonight I can find a good parking lot with water on the ground and good lighting for reflections and get some cool looking pictures (without it raining, of course - even though my camera is water/dust proof, I'm too scared to use it in the rain).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Mineral White is a solid color choice if you're OCD. One of my favorite colors I've had so far. Wasn't too happy when a girl once said it matched her fingernail paint though :cry: White doesn't really show scratches or swirls easily anyway, but the metallic in mineral really makes them hard to see if you catch any. Supposedly a really hard color to match if you have an accident, but I was clipped once and they had to respray the bumper. Looked fine to me.

I gave up on trying to keep my cars perfect though - too stressful. Out here they get dusty from the beach air right away, so as long as I keep them mildly dirty you can't see any paint defects.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For those that do it yourself.

Weds wash, decontaminate with clay sponge, polish with Griot D/A Sonax Perfect polish, Rupes yellow pads. 5 hrs. Very careful to not get product on PPF or on plastic trim.

Today, wash, dry, wipe with Gyeon Prep all surfaces and trim, and wheel faces to the weight area

Coat paint, trim, plastic, wheel arches, PPF, door jams more plastic, wheels face and everywhere I could reach, etc with ISM ceramic coating, with 2 step wipe off. 7 hours

There is a tremendous amount of plastic trim on the X-line, this will be a challenge to keep looking like new. Regrettably, there was no Msport available with the options colors I wanted when it was time to buy. Nor was I willing to go to 76k plus.

Now I know there are more dedicated and skilled home detailers, that remove wheels, etc, but just saying it is a long process. This is my 4th complete coated car, Maybe $800-$1000 isn't so bad to have it professionally done. Just doubt they do the underside of the trim etc like I did.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeah what's with all the unpainted plastic on the X-Line? It doesn't annoy me too much because my car's black anyway, but it does seem kind of budget.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah what's with all the unpainted plastic on the X-Line? It doesn't annoy me too much because my car's black anyway, but it does seem kind of budget.
I agree. The hard part is any polish, wax etc that gets on it stains white and doesn’t come off.
Nice thing about Kamikaze ISM is it actually darkens and seals the plastic, so much less fading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts