Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Those warehouse club stores are good for a lot of consumables. I don't need "boutique" everything. Our biggest purchases from Sam's Club are spring water, cat food, cat litter, and toilet paper.

Costco's gasoline actually meets Top Tier Gas standards. Sam's Club's doesn't.

Our gasoline retail system is very inefficient. There's a gas station on every corner, and people demand that they never wait in line to fill-up. A lot of gas stations only make money from their convenience store sales. The warehouse club gas stations usually have lines, but they're short. A lot of people are willing to wait five minutes to save a few bucks.
Costco gas savings of $0.20 to $0.30 on AKI91 can easily pay for membership. As far as product quality and quantity, it is up to customers to cross shop and decide, esp. on bulk brand names that can have exact side by side comparison.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Costco gas savings of $0.20 to $0.30 on AKI91 can easily pay for membership. As far as product quality and quantity, it is up to customers to cross shop and decide, esp. on bulk brand names that can have exact side by side comparison.
I fill up my two M’s all the time at Costco, as its a leased car, its BMW FS problem after 3 years.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Excellent analogy. FWIW, I hate Costco/Sams Club and have not been a member since my college days for the exact reasons you mention. [/url]
Wow, we finally disagree on something! I am Costco food and gas whore, but also do the balance of my food shopping at WholeFoods. Clothing wise, its all Italian designer labels direct from the source in Milano, Italy 1-2 times a year. Unfortunately, Louis Vuitton is full price, never on sale, but 40% off in Europe. Too much info, as I hit the limit on LV items for the calendar year this past January after shopping in Florence and Milan for the winter sales, when I went back to Madrid and Milan the following month my LV purchases now have to be approved by the store manger.:cry:

Point is, don***8217;t falsely stereotype a Costco customer:thumbup:

Now back onto this thread topic.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,603 Posts
Wow, we finally disagree on something! I am Costco food and gas whore, but also do the balance of my food shopping at WholeFoods. Clothing wise, its all Italian designer labels direct from the source in Milano, Italy 1-2 times a year. Unfortunately, Louis Vuitton is full price, never on sale, but 40% off in Europe. Too much info, as I hit the limit on LV items for the calendar year this past January after shopping in Florence and Milan for the winter sales, when I went back to Madrid and Milan the following month my LV purchases now have to be approved by the store manger.:cry:

Point is, don***8217;t falsely stereotype a Costco customer:thumbup:

Now back onto this thread topic.

Interesting. Us disagreeing was bound to happen eventually. However, based on your previous comments, I suspect you have a family with kids. I don’t and, as a result, I don’t have the need to buy large quantities of household goods. I think Costco/Sams Club really appeal to people who need to buy large quantities of things. As an aside, I buy everything from Whole Foods as I am a very discerning shopper when it comes to groceries. As for other items that I need, I find that I just get them at Whole Foods, Amazon Prime or Target. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who will pay more for stuff like paper towels at Whole Foods to avoid the huge crowds at places like Costco or just have Amazon deliver it. FWIW, Amazon comes to my house multiple days a week. Good or bad, my local Whole Foods store manager knows me on a first name basis. As for clothes, meh..... Jos A Bank (Reserve/SG), Nordstrom and Ralph Lauren make up the vast majority of my wardrobe and I order most of the stuff online and take them to my trusted tailor and/or cobbler for needed adjustments. The days of me paying top dollar for Armani and Brioni suits and comparable shoes are over......

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I fill up my two M***8217;s all the time at Costco, as its a leased car, its BMW FS problem after 3 years.
Current F30 gets top tier AKI91 from Costco 99.99%(same for old E39), except when there is Shell/Chevron gift cards that need to be used at those brands.

Occasionally half tank of Costco AKI87 is used to get AKI89 mix when AKI87 is 10% cheaper than AKI91.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
As an aside, I buy everything from Whole Foods as I am a very discerning shopper when it comes to groceries. As for other items that I need, I find that I just get them at Whole Foods, Amazon Prime or Target. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who will pay more for stuff like paper towels at Whole Foods to avoid the huge crowds at places like Costco or just have Amazon deliver it. FWIW, Amazon comes to my house multiple days a week.
WF and Target groceries are expensive compared to Safeway around here.

Our local Costco is not too crowded before COVID-19, now the social distancing steps do induce queues outside. The gas pumps are quite empty these days with COVID-19, but even pre-COVID-19 half-tank fillup is 2-3 minutes with zero wait at the right time.

Do check out Kirkland brand of groceries versus WF in terms of qualities and prices, pleasant surprises may await unsuspected shoppers. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,223 Posts
I shop around for **the** most expensive gas.... because (1) I***8217;m a discriminating buyer, (2) you get what you pay for, and (3) it makes me feel superior.

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Here it's $0.60 to $1.00/gallon cheaper.:yikes: And it's top tier. In the "old" days you would wait 20 minutes on a weekend day. The Costco closest to me expanded its station to three pumps per island. And during the week it's open from 4:30 am to 10:30 pm.

I shop often at Costco although it is now just my daughter and I. Love the Kapuna (senior) hour.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Gas is gas. But, the difference between Top Tier Gas a Bottom Tier Gas is the additives add at the terminal before the tanker trucks go to the gas stations. I read somewhere that Costco adds the extra additives at the store to make sure the gas has them.

It's kind of scary that they'd have those additives at the stores. Most of these additives are made my Lubrizol. Lubrizol's had a lot of their chemical plants burn down.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
91 AKI doesn't exist here in Bubbaville, Floriduh. But, I blend my own 91 AKI (2/3's 93 AKI and 1/3 87 AKI) for $2.17/gallon. We have three car for two people. So, a tank of gas is lasing us about two months now.

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Funny you are leaning toward an M8 convertible. I’m leaning toward an M8 competition grand coupe. Something different than my prior F80/82 and it looks great.
UPDATE: Was just informed that I secured a build for a F83 ZCP, still have 10 days if I want to flip to a ED. Just updating my purchasing plan. The M4's have great residual and incentive money.

·
Registered
175 Posts
UPDATE: Was just informed that I secured a build for a F83 ZCP, still have 10 days if I want to flip to a ED. Just updating my purchasing plan. The M4's have great residual and incentive money.
Do you think there will be flights to Europe by then?

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Do you think there will be flights to Europe by then?
Flights are slowly resuming, as I***8217;m scheduled for a 3 week vacation in July... you guessed it to Ibiza. I highly doubt there will direct flights to MUC, as the hubs such as CDG and MAD are just resuming service. Personally, with Oktoberfest cancelled and no BMW Driving Experience M 2 day track training events available for September, doubt I would flip to ED as my current F83 lease is up end of September. My past 3 ED***8217;s would always involve 3 days of Oktoberfest and a two day BMW Driving Experience M track training. That***8217;s what I call the Ultimate ED, beer and M track training.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts