BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone experienced a decreased in battery charge capacity after getting their hybrid batteries replaced? I am getting a consistent charge of only 12 miles daily now. I used to get 17-18 miles before the hybrid battery replacement. The change in temperature or weather does not make any difference; I am still getting 12 miles charge. I tried charging at a different time of the day, charging from 0, charging to top off, still no change. Is there anything to reset software wise? Anyone experience this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What are you asking here? Are you referring to the estimated range after charging that shows on the dash and app? Or are you referring to the actual distance you can drive on battery power? My wife drives our 30e and we had the batteries replaced a few months ago. Initially the estimated range was around 12 miles but the car would actually go 18-20 miles on a charge. Over time the estimated range has increased to 17-18 miles and the actual distance we usually get is between 19-21 miles or so depending on road conditions.

If you are only getting 12 miles of actual battery range a return visit to the dealer may be in order. If you are referring to estimated range, that may increase over time as ours did.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone experienced a decreased in battery charge capacity after getting their hybrid batteries replaced? I am getting a consistent charge of only 12 miles daily now. I used to get 17-18 miles before the hybrid battery replacement. The change in temperature or weather does not make any difference; I am still getting 12 miles charge. I tried charging at a different time of the day, charging from 0, charging to top off, still no change. Is there anything to reset software wise? Anyone experience this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
My batteries have been replaced and the charge shows 20-21 miles and I usually can get 25.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you asking here? Are you referring to the estimated range after charging that shows on the dash and app? Or are you referring to the actual distance you can drive on battery power? My wife drives our 30e and we had the batteries replaced a few months ago. Initially the estimated range was around 12 miles but the car would actually go 18-20 miles on a charge. Over time the estimated range has increased to 17-18 miles and the actual distance we usually get is between 19-21 miles or so depending on road conditions.

If you are only getting 12 miles of actual battery range a return visit to the dealer may be in order. If you are referring to estimated range, that may increase over time as ours did.
How many months did it take to increase your estimated range back to 17-18 miles? It's been 4 months (Feb. 2022) since I got the hybrid battery replacement. It seems that it would of corrected itself by now but it didn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How many months did it take to increase your estimated range back to 17-18 miles? It's been 4 months (Feb. 2022) since I got the hybrid battery replacement. It seems that it would of corrected itself by now but it didn't.
We got our car back from the battery replacement at the end of December 2021. It took several months for the range estimate to slowly increase. It however always got around 20 miles actual range on battery. Range, as you likely know, can be influenced by temp and road conditions. Our car is a 2020.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update to my issue... It's been 6 months now with the same issue. Last month, my estimated miles change a few times to 14 miles and 16 miles and back to 12 miles. 6 months is a long time wait. Would I have to wait another 6 months to get it back to 17-18 miles? No, I'm patient but not that patient. :) I been going back and for with the dealership for the past 6 months and they kept telling me that the range would increase. I always thought that something was wrong. Either they missed a step replacing my hv battery or a component is bad?

The dealership was able to charge my car to 14 miles supposedly and let me know that I would just need to drive and it would "reset" itself. I asked them how long would this take and they couldn't give me an answer. I drove it for 4 months this way and nothing changed. I went back and forth with the dealership for 6 months. I refused their explanation and refused to back down. I insisted that my car should charge to 17-18 miles not 12-14 and this needed to be fixed. I let them know what I thought the causes were... Either there was a step missed when replacing the hv battery or a component is bad. The dealer finally took this seriously and performed many tests and when they did a HV battery check this reset the estimated range. That fixed the problem. If I didn't have any bad cells maybe the range would have increased to the 17-18 mile range by itself. I had bad cells replaced and as a result this needed a HV battery check to reset the estimated range. Hope this helps anyone reading this!

·
Registered
2021 BMW X3e Hybrid PHEV
2 Posts
Update to my issue... It's been 6 months now with the same issue. Last month, my estimated miles change a few times to 14 miles and 16 miles and back to 12 miles. 6 months is a long time wait. Would I have to wait another 6 months to get it back to 17-18 miles? No, I'm patient but not that patient. :) I been going back and for with the dealership for the past 6 months and they kept telling me that the range would increase. I always thought that something was wrong. Either they missed a step replacing my hv battery or a component is bad?

The dealership was able to charge my car to 14 miles supposedly and let me know that I would just need to drive and it would "reset" itself. I asked them how long would this take and they couldn't give me an answer. I drove it for 4 months this way and nothing changed. I went back and forth with the dealership for 6 months. I refused their explanation and refused to back down. I insisted that my car should charge to 17-18 miles not 12-14 and this needed to be fixed. I let them know what I thought the causes were... Either there was a step missed when replacing the hv battery or a component is bad. The dealer finally took this seriously and performed many tests and when they did a HV battery check this reset the estimated range. That fixed the problem. If I didn't have any bad cells maybe the range would have increased to the 17-18 mile range by itself. I had bad cells replaced and as a result this needed a HV battery check to reset the estimated range. Hope this helps anyone reading this!
Thanks for your post! that really helps. My 2021 X3e only charges to 14 at 100% and my dealer said that's normal. He also said he had no idea where i got the idea that it should charge to 18 (which is interesting because 18 is the range BMW has advertised for this car). I have never gotten anywhere near 18 miles on a charge and I honestly don't think i even really get 14 as the battery seems to deplete pretty quickly. Can you tell me the key words/phrases that i should use when i talk to my service advisor to make them fix this issue? I see that you mentioned an "HV battery check." Is that all i need to tell them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It’s the original battery. I only have 9000 miles on it.
Hello! Did you know there was a recall on the hv battery? Also, BMW offered $1,000 as a check for the inconvenience. It seems that you didn't get that letter from BMW? I would think that the dealership would have checked for recalls for your car as well? See this link: BMW Hybrid Battery Recall: Don't Charge The Battery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts