BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
325i, C300, E350, 228i, M550i
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have an M550i on order and its in the transport phase now. Dealership is telling me the beast should be here within the next 10 days. Longest 10 days of my life 馃槑
This is going to be my 3rd BMW, had the 325i, then the 228i and now M550i. Finally a V8.

Been doing a lot of reading here. Can anyone recommend a good PPF shop in the Northern NJ area. I've never done this to any of my cars but since I plan on keeping this one for a a while I'm thinking its will be a good investment. Or is it better to just go with the dealership if they offer it.

Oh it's Tanzanite Blue with Black Nappa interior. Full pics upon delivery.

Registered
Congrats and also for getting a real color rather than shade of gray for paint.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

dce

Congrats, sounds pretty sweet.

Sorry can鈥檛 help you for NJ ppf shop but if ever in DC area I most highly recommend TintFX in Vienna VA based on the job they did on mine. My sense is you can get better value by going outside the dealer, just make sure it is someone you can trust (think the downside can be much more too).

Looking forward to the pics - enjoy in good health!

Registered
PPF is a good idea. I think you get better value by going to a specialty shop that is well known. In all likelihood they are doing it for the dealers who mark-up their work. Can't help you with NJ. PPF really protects the front bumper, especially during highway driving. I did the bumper, 1/3 of the hood and the side mirrors.

I've seen some exotics where the whole car is done.

Premium Member
I'll add my two cents on PPF. I have used it on a number of cars over 18 years...and recently had it removed from the first car I ever had it applied to...18 years ago! My 2001 540 M-Sport. Except for a couple very hard impacts to the front hood, it all came off fine and paint underneath looks very good (not perfect, needs some additional polishing), but the hard impacts caused the paint to lift in a couple small spots. All the other areas are near perfect, mirrors, door edges, door cups, etc. The reason I took it off, was it looked like crap the past 7 years or so, faded, cracked and foggy, not translucent. The reason I had not removed it sooner, was the fear it might have clear coat or paint lift, as it has happened on other cars I have owned. Fortunately in my cases, it was always minor, just clear coat and in inconspicuous locations that were easily touched up by a body shop, like inside edge of a fender.

But, here are my reservations: Depends on the car, but some cars are more prone to paint or clear coat lifting, than others. This is a concern, because the film on occasion, will need to be replaced as it gets more and more impacts over time. So after removal, there will be some minor (sometimes major) paint work required before reapplying the film. (this is in spite of expert removal techniques using steam, heat and very experienced technicians) I have wrapped the entire fronts of some cars (front door edge to front door edge), but on the M550iX I went with the following: Front bumper, mirrors and top of rear bumper. That's it. I have some friends that just live with the paint chips and repaint the bumper and hood every few years. The issue with that, in my experience, is repaint is never as durable as the original factory paint, thus it chips even faster.

Reactions: dce

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points..thanks for sharing your experiences. I got quoted around 2K for full frontal coverage. I'm thinking maybe it's better to just do front and rear bumpers and ceramic coat the rest of the car.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Good points..thanks for sharing your experiences. I got quoted around 2K for full frontal coverage. I'm thinking maybe it's better to just do front and rear bumpers and ceramic coat the rest of the car.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
I would just do the front bumper and top of rear bumper (protect from loading and unloading).
The rear is not subject to rock chips, only bumper impacts (front license plate of other car) from parallel parking and it won't help much there. That much PPF shouldn't cost more than $1000.

Registered
I had a minor repair that needed to be done to my front bumper that had PPF. They steamed it off, fixed the side of the bumper that had a scrape, and put on the new film. It was perfect. I had it done at a specialty shop.

Registered
Hi
I have an M550i on order and its in the transport phase now. Dealership is telling me the beast should be here within the next 10 days. Longest 10 days of my life 馃槑
This is going to be my 3rd BMW, had the 325i, then the 228i and now M550i. Finally a V8.

Been doing a lot of reading here. Can anyone recommend a good PPF shop in the Northern NJ area. I've never done this to any of my cars but since I plan on keeping this one for a a while I'm thinking its will be a good investment. Or is it better to just go with the dealership if they offer it.

congrats dude, I'm turning in my 2018 M550i; my new baby is waiting for production to start, I'm in Morris County....where in North Hersey are you?
Pic attached of what I spec'd out

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats dude, I'm turning in my 2018 M550i; my new baby is waiting for production to start, I'm in Morris County....where in North Hersey are you?
Pic attached of what I spec'd out
Looks great .. Congrats! I'm in the North Bergen area. My dealership advised that they couldn't order anymore due to the supply shortages but had one incoming so I went for it, it had almost everything I wanted except for the DHP. I'm still not sure if the standard adaptive suspension are the same dampers as the adaptive suspension pro in the DHP. Hopefully it is the case as I didn't really care much about the rear steering or the active roll stabilizers.

Can you share your config, mine is Tanzanite, Black Nappa, Executive, Driving Assistance, Parking, Shadowline,20" M Wheels 846M . If I had ordered I would probably have gone without the individual color to save some $$$ (but its fine) and gone with the 19" wheels and no shadowline.

Registered
Mine just arrived at the Long Beach port. I called my dealership to ask how long until it gets to their location - She said there is a "stop sale" on the vehicle and any M550's built after late April for some recall on the knob on the dash. She thinks it won't delay it too long, but who the hell knows this day and age. So my guess is yours will be in the same boat when it gets off the boat. Or maybe they'll take it back to Germany if it hasn't been put on a ship yet.

Your build looks pretty rad.

Registered
And I meant to respond to your original post - I am paying $550 for clear bra covering the front bumper, front 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, pillars. $2k seems way high, but I am ordering out of Idaho.

Premium Member
And I meant to respond to your original post - I am paying $550 for clear bra covering the front bumper, front 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, pillars. $2k seems way high, but I am ordering out of Idaho.
That will work fine, just make sure they don't use a pre cut kit...those never fit right. Have it cut by hand by a professional installer.

Registered
BMW 2019 M550xi, 2019 X5, 2021 228xi. Porsche 2022 911 TurboS
Congrats on the new ride. Looking forward to the pics.
I'm about to turn in my '19 M550 and order the '22. It's been a great car. Same car and hopefully not a long wait. I have owned around 19 BMW's. I personally PPP all my cars front nose half way up, side view mirrors and it is fine. My car rolls at 80-95 most of the time. I've rock chipped many winsheilds though.
I now wrap my 911's completely. I had one with a steel sun roof 15 minutes out of the dealer on the Florida Turpike, a rock chipped the roof at 100 mph. 3" gash from a rock.
One thing I do is have a set of NRFT Michelin's waiting to be mounted before it ever leaves the dealership. The old one will go back with the unused OEM RFT's it was delivered with. I never understood why RFT tires is the build even now when itspecs out better than older M5's that came with NRFT's.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, got confirmation today that it should be ready for pickup on 06/07. So can't wait. What size wheels do you usually keep. I got 20 on mine with run flats, hoping it doesn't cause the ride to be too harsh. Do you currently have the Dynamic Handling Package on yours. This is the one option I was never able to get a straight answer on from anyone. I'm only interested in the adaptive suspension piece not in the roll control or active steering. I'm hoping the standard adaptive suspension on the 550 is the same as the one that DHP comes with.

Registered
BMW 2019 M550xi, 2019 X5, 2021 228xi. Porsche 2022 911 TurboS
I would never have RFT's on mine. I run 20's in Fort Lauderdale. The Invisiheild is 3M. I don't track my car so there really isn't a need for the DHP in my opinion and those I've spoken with. I do enjoy the response of the paddles around corners and in place of braking to slow down. I was disppointed when BMW started to use a manufactured exhaust sound but you can't beat the car. It's been my favorite daily driver through what will be my 4th iteration. I'm not a fan of HUD as it's invisible with polarized sunglasses on and that's for the best. I like my windsheild clear other than speed.
I also placed radar and jammers in my bumpers.
Happy motoring.
I will be able to order at the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts