BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Strongly considering ordering a 2021 X5 with trailer hitch and tow package. My travel trailer weighs 3,600 dry weight and the X5 should tow it with little effort. My concern is that the hitch weight of my RV is 500 lbs and the total payload of the X5 is only 972 lbs. this only leaves ~400~ lbs roughly for occupants (family of 4) and two medium sized dogs. Even packing conservatively, we will more than likely exceed payload capacity.

The X5 can easily tow the weight, but should I be concerned about the payload? Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 xDrive30e
18 Posts

Zuladung = payload = 740kg = 1631lbs. Not sure why BMWNA derates payload so heavily.

Get a WD hitch to spread the weight across axles and have a look over at airforums.com. Plenty of folks towing with the X5.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,657 Posts

Zuladung = payload = 740kg = 1631lbs. Not sure why BMWNA derates payload so heavily.

Get a WD hitch to spread the weight across axles and have a look over at airforums.com. Plenty of folks towing with the X5.
BMW prohibits the use of ‘weight distribution systems’ for the stiff but brittle body not being designed to transfer the moment from hitch to front axle.

“Trailer Hitch Guidelines and Cautions Page 1 of 2
These Guideline Sheets should be left in the vehicle (for customer reference) after installation of the Trailer Hitch
[ … ]
Do not use weight distribution equipment.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a side note (just in case): I believe that if you get the trailer hitch on the X5, you lose the hands-free tailgate opening feature. I was all set to order one with the hitch, and we vetoed it for that reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well Thank you! I can’t read German but like the above number!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts