BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC60 R-Design T5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered but I did not find it during a search. It doesn't appear (in the online config) that surround view is an available option on the 2022 X3 30i. Has it been removed due to the chip shortage or was it just not an option this year? From what I can see it is part of the parking assist package (again, not an option online) but the only part of that I'm interested in is the surround view. I've had that on all my cars for the last 10 years or so and find it invaluable so it's a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I can add it to the M40i but that's not really the model I want.

·
Stuart in Houston
706 Posts
Correct, the chip shortage is wreaking havoc with higher-end options. No HUD, no ACC, no SiriusXM, no 360view. Combined with the general car shortage, which has eliminated ALL negotiating.

You have to really REALLY want/need a car to buy one now. Unless you're not focused on options like these, in which case... good luck!

Reactions: dkt2k and BeemaNina

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh...what a mess. My current lease it up in March so I'm looking now as I'm hearing the supply constraints of automobiles overall are getting worse due to issues with transportation and rare earth metal supply concerns. I'm afraid when March comes it will be even worse. The good news is, my vehicle is actually worth more that my payoff so I have something to work with now.

I can forgo the HUD, ACC, and XM but I really do want the 360 view. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the last few days I've toured around to most of the larger new car dealerships in my area, just to see what's available. I was shocked! Dealers that would normally have upwards of 100 vehicles on their lot, had as few as 10 to 15. Most of those were pick-up trucks and a few SUVs. There were almost no used cars available, and the service bays were, for the most part empty. The auto industry around here looks like some kind of dystopian movie set. I was in the market for a new vehicle for the last year, but now I'm trying to make sure the two vehicles I own are in good enough shape to last me at least another 12 to 18 months. I'm almost afraid to go grocery shopping! It's hard to believe my eyes anymore.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Ugh...what a mess. My current lease it up in March so I'm looking now as I'm hearing the supply constraints of automobiles overall are getting worse due to issues with transportation and rare earth metal supply concerns. I'm afraid when March comes it will be even worse. The good news is, my vehicle is actually worth more that my payoff so I have something to work with now.

I can forgo the HUD, ACC, and XM but I really do want the 360 view. Decisions, decisions...
One option is to buy your car at the end of the lease. Even by next March, it will likely be worth more than the residual (that BMW guessed at three years ago, before all the COVID chaos). You would be driving a car still under warranty for almost nothing.

·
Stuart in Houston
706 Posts
My lease ended this month, and I bought my car. For about 6-8 thousand less than I could immediately flip it for. I'll drive it for another year or two, until this current situation eases.

Reactions: mtbrdad and Z4530i

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm a little spoiled but I really like changing cars every 3 years or so, even if it costs me more. I bailed on BMW about 6 years ago because I felt like every new car didn't feel new because the interior barely changes from year to year. Some people like that but it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a new vehicle for me. However, I miss the way they drive and have always been a BMW fan...even my motorcycle is BMW.

So, I will probably go with an M40i or maybe even an X4 (though I had an X6 before and found it to not be as practical as the X3) as it seems to be available with surround view and the other features I like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One option is to buy your car at the end of the lease. Even by next March, it will likely be worth more than the residual (that BMW guessed at three years ago, before all the COVID chaos). You would be driving a car still under warranty for almost nothing.

Order your new car online direct from the dealership. That's what I did. It's finally on the way. So if you know what car you're going to want build it ahead of time, give it 6 weeks to get to you so you either still have a car while you wait or know that you will be without a car for that long. I've been without a car and I am dying! The dealerships have squat to choose from and I wasn't about to get a lease just to get it because that's what they had. I wanted what I wanted. Color, interior, the wheels had a hiccup but they are still awesome. So be swift in what you think you want because even some of the options for some models aren't there like the shadowline package disappeared from the x3 30i from one day to the next with no warning.

·
Stuart in Houston
706 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually went into a local dealer last weekend and they said supply is getting better and they are getting cars in on order in 6-8 weeks (as opposed to about 4 weeks in a normal year). He said corporate was telling them that they expect things to improve appreciably in Q1. From everything else I'm hearing/seeing, it's the opposite so not sure if he was just blowing smoke or being straight with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I ordered an M40i today...hopefully I won't get any unwanted deletions. The estimated build is January so I'm not holding my breath on lack of deletions.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,797 Posts
You see an actual production week slot with your name? or just the salesman murmuring in your ear?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,797 Posts
Murmuring, or blowing smoke up your ---! 😁
What we see (hear?) a lot of is salesman who make it sound like they are simply at the whim of BMW and are- just like the buyer- just hoping BMW will move it into production.

When the actual truth is the salesman/dealership knows PRECISELY what cars that dealer has for production allocation well in advance. If a buyer doesnt press for a date-certain, the dealer will keep it flexible. So if a bigger money buyer comes in, demanding a date, they can move stuff around.....

IMO

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
40 Posts
You can go to BMWUSA, login and open an account and track the progress of your car. They will NOT give you a date, but you can see when the status changes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts