BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an x5 45e in Sept 2021. Received it Nov 23. It had all of the options on it except the touch screen and wireless phone charger and audio upgrade. One of the last to get a tow hitch.
BUT I had it for 5 days and an engine light came on and notice of reduced engine output. Took it to dealer and it is still there 33 days later. They said the safety module is bad and they have no idea when the part will come from Germany. In this technical age, I find it hard to believe they can't have parts available or give a date when they will be. The GM assured me BMW would come through by day 30 and have it fixed. No such luck. This is my first and last BMW. Contemplati g requesting a refund on Monday. They are not going to want to write me a check for $89000. But with everything they are removing from builds because of chip shortages, and a now 6-9 month wait time for a replacement X5, what's the point? It's not even the vehicle it was promised to be.
Anyone else have something like this happen? I'm beyond disappointed. Do I wait or do I get my money back?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered an x5 45e in Sept 2021. Received it Nov 23. It had all of the options on it except the touch screen and wireless phone charger and audio upgrade. One of the last to get a tow hitch.
BUT I had it for 5 days and an engine light came on and notice of reduced engine output. Took it to dealer and it is still there 33 days later. They said the safety module is bad and they have no idea when the part will come from Germany. In this technical age, I find it hard to believe they can't have parts available or give a date when they will be. The GM assured me BMW would come through by day 30 and have it fixed. No such luck. This is my first and last BMW. Contemplati g requesting a refund on Monday. They are not going to want to write me a check for $89000. But with everything they are removing from builds because of chip shortages, and a now 6-9 month wait time for a replacement X5, what's the point? It's not even the vehicle it was promised to be.
Anyone else have something like this happen? I'm beyond disappointed. Do I wait or do I get my money back?
Wow - the sheer bad luck of it. Sorry to hear..
I'd say, get your money back. Due to the chip shortage, a whole car is going to take precedence over a replacement part, in receiving a chip.
The downside of that is trying to find another brand such as Audi or Mercedes with all the options that you're going to want.
Or ask the dealer to save the sale, if they can pull one from another vehicle to place into yours.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow - the sheer bad luck of it. Sorry to hear..
I'd say, get your money back. Due to the chip shortage, a whole car is going to take precedence over a replacement part, in receiving a chip.
The downside of that is trying to find another brand such as Audi or Mercedes with all the options that you're going to want.
Or ask the dealer to save the sale, if they can pull one from another vehicle to place into yours.

What does "save the sale" mean?

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,349 Posts
Them not writing a check - to refund. And losing a sale. Car dealerships get discounts from the manufacturer, for the amount of car they sold the previous year. Due to the chip shortage, they are scrambling to get and keep sales.

I dont think so but I’m not totally sure.
They do however get more allocations normally but that too is currently limited.
I think Jon Shafer would probably know best here.
@Jon Shafer

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,084 Posts
I don’t think that half-measures are going to be effective nowadays. Either bite the bulllet and be patient in unfortunate circumstances, OR lemon the car and that will likely take advice from an attorney.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same model, received in early December 2021. I got a touch screen, but no wireless phone charger and no audio upgrade. Mine's fine so far. All I can say is that I wish you really good luck getting this resolved, and I hope you let us know how it came out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same model, received in early December 2021. I got a touch screen, but no wireless phone charger and no audio upgrade. Mine's fine so far. All I can say is that I wish you really good luck getting this resolved, and I hope you let us know how it came out.
Thank you. I need some good luck wth this...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE. AFTER 45 days in the dealer shop, and threatening to have my attorney contact them about a refund, the part arrived and they fixed it! I also got a "good will" payment from BMW NA that covered 2 payments. The dealership had to request that from BMW. I called the I team customer service at BMW and they were very un helpful. They could never track where the part was or when it would arrive at dealer. I'm glad/relieved/happy it's fixed but it was a messy ordeal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
UPDATE. AFTER 45 days in the dealer shop, and threatening to have my attorney contact them about a refund, the part arrived and they fixed it! I also got a "good will" payment from BMW NA that covered 2 payments. The dealership had to request that from BMW. I called the I team customer service at BMW and they were very un helpful. They could never track where the part was or when it would arrive at dealer. I'm glad/relieved/happy it's fixed but it was a messy ordeal.
Threatening an attorney, but the attorney never did actually get involved, probably good. They could have been more up front about the whole thing to begin with, of course, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received my bmw x5 45e at the end of September. The engine light went on almost automatically but then went off and I didn’t think anything of it. Engine light went back on solidly and a weird noise started with when fan were on with heating system. My car sat at the dealer for over 6 weeks. Waiting for parts from Germany for high voltage battery and compressor. 3 pages of itemized replacement parts covered under warranty. Received my car back on 2/10/22 and the check engine light went back on my display 2/12/22. I don’t feel safe driving this car and will be contacting an attorney. I have had to cancel a ski vacation that was only accessible with a 4 wheel drive vehicle and won’t take the car long distances. Will be contacting the dealer and an attorney tomorrow. Third person with the X5 in my area with this problem. This was an issue with the 2020 cars and still is a major problem. ROYALLY regretting this decision. Had a Defender I walked away from to buy this and have regretted it every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts