BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 09 328i thinking of trading for 05-645ci with 53,000 mi $ 21,400. Engine light on salesman says its emission need to be iincrease. Also 06-650i 63,000mi for $23,000 all are hard top. Convertible top has to be change everry two years. Any comment.p

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as the 04: it's going to lack some options you'd find in the 06. Bluetooth might not be there in an 04 with a 5/04 build date, as an example. The 06 you have a little more horse power, Bluetooth stock, and the price isn't that much higher. Also why risk it with a first year model that already has an evident issue? Who knows what other gremlins it has? I'd say get as much background info on the 06 as you can like maintenance history, carfax, and an in-depth check up by a mechanic. If you can find the info of the original bmw dealer see if you can contact then to get any info on the car by giving the vin number. I'm also in the market for my first 6 and I plan on doing an extensive and anally thorough search before I commit to one.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
You're right I rather the 650 hard top. I like the vert but you have to change the top every two years.
Not true. Having owned 4 BMW convertibles, including an '04 645 and an '08 650, if you take care of your top with something like Raggtopp, it will last you many more.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My BMW tops have lasted over 10 years before I needed to replace them. Cost is about $1.5K so not that bad considering what you get for your investment.

·
Super Moderator
9,942 Posts
I own a 09 328i thinking of trading for 05-645ci with 53,000 mi $ 21,400. Engine light on salesman says its emission need to be iincrease. Also 06-650i 63,000mi for $23,000 all are hard top. Convertible top has to be change everry two years. Any comment.p
I would suggest having someone run a complete diagnostic test on either car. The emission problem could be a very cheap fix, or a high dollar ticket. The 6 series in general is a very expensive car to maintain. Some are good, others can be a money pit. It all depends on how the car was serviced & maintained. If you are not able to do your own work, an aftermarket extended money would be a good investment. There are many good threads to read, that will help you know what you might be getting into. I love my 6, but they can be very expensive & temperamental!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You're right I rather the 650 hard top. I like the vert but you have to change the top every two years.
This is the first I have ever heard this...my 2006 vert has the original top and people who see my car still think it is new. I don't do much to the top, I have cleaned and conditioned it once in 4.5 years. I am sure the first owner didn't do anything in his 3 year lease.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
12 year old top on my 3 series looks new but then again, it's a garage queen. I am sure if it lived outside all the time I would be telling a different story. Regardless, a new top every two years BS. Even in the full hot sun I would expect 10 years out of the OEM and similar grade top, maybe longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm leaning towards a hard top not because the convertible top is unreliable but because it's a few less potential problems. Search this forum for "Boesman" and you can see a good thread with a lot of info on how to get around the most common issue. Plus in my opinion the hardtop is a bit sexier but a convertible with the right options and good maintenance history shouldn't be passed up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.