Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m shopping for winter tires for my new-to-me 2014 X1 and considering narrower tires on stock sized rims. Anyone tried 215/55R17 tires? They’re just a smidge taller and I like the idea of slightly narrower for winter tires. (They’re also a fair bit less expensive per tire.)

TIA,

Bill in NH

·
Registered
417 Posts
No big deal to change it a little taller or narrower. I didn't run the calculations to check exactly how much variance in diameter but off the top of my head that doesn't seem too much of a change. The rule of thumb is generally <5% difference is fine, in reality it only changes your speedometer reading. The X1 has boat loads of clearance in the wheel wells to go bigger, wider etc. I went the other way.. got a deal on an entire set for the wife's X1 for $400 cash with rims and literally brand new tires. Other than not having the TPMS on they're perfect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Absolutely fine. In fact, if you go to tirerack.com, they list that size as the recommended one for the the 17 inch wheels on the base model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I found some lightly used Blizzaks for a great price in the stock size. I***8217;ll file away the info for when these wear out.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks, I found some lightly used Blizzaks for a great price in the stock size. I'll file away the info for when these wear out.
Good call.
Thinner tires might be good for deep snow, but you really want good snow rubber and tread.
The key is stopping in winter conditions. (slush, ice, snow and mess)
The Blizzaks will be good.

:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts