BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Black Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle
Can you please help me figure out what this error means? I’m scared to think the mileage of this car has been modified/adjusted even though everything with the dealership checked out.

This was discovered in the info memory section of BimmerLink, whereas the error memory only had one with the chassis management.

Anyone know what thus means?
The car is a F30 330i 2016.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
“Dealerships” make it a point to NEVER look for something like this. FWIW.

Used car lot or real BMW dealerships….

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you just buy the car? If so take it back.
No, I bought it about a month and a half ago and I had it checked at the official BMW dealership. I actually specifically asked them to check if the mileage has been tampered with, and they asked for both key fobs (original & spare) to make sure and everything came back normal according to them. I even did maintenance (oil, filter, etc.) and they gave me an official signed & stamped receipt with the current odometer on it.

Could this be an error with the DME or bimmerlink, for example? I really don't want to think I bought a car that actually has more miles than it says on the odometer, as it currently sits at 43,400 miles.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
Do you have a manipulation dot in the cluster?
can you get more information on this fault? It’s between the DME and __?
It’s possible that there’s a used module in the car but the actual vehicle mileage is ok.
Before freaking out I would find out what this code actually means. There’s lots of errors when using aftermarket equipment and even some errors in BMWs proprietary software. This may not even actually be about a mileage difference on the vehicle at all but possibly the way 2 different control units interpret messages. You need more information.
At minimum I’d swing back through and have them look at the code. It should be free since you specifically asked them to look.

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no manipulation dot in the cluster. I only really have BimmerLink at the moment and I am not sure how to check further, it is under Info memory > Motor electronics but it doesn't show up in error memory or anything like that. I used to have a VM with ISTA on my laptop but it stopped working after a while for some reason and I never really bothered to try and get it fixed because it's A LOT of work.

What do you think I should do? I could probably go to a professional service center with ISTA and an E-Net cable and then run specific tests if you know them?

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s possible that there’s a used module in the car but the actual vehicle mileage is ok.
Before freaking out I would find out what this code actually means. There’s lots of errors when using aftermarket equipment and even some errors in BMWs proprietary software. This may not even actually be about a mileage difference on the vehicle at all but possibly the way 2 different control untold interpret messages. You need more information.
At minimum I’d swing back through and have them look at the code. It should be free since you specifically asked them to look.
Sorry I jumped the gun and replied to your post because I'm feeling a bit anxious about the whole situation. I believe that's my last resort, I will swing back and show them the error code I saw and have them check deeper. I did do a lot of research about DME & mileage issues last night and you're right, a lot of issues happen when certain modules are replaced from a used vehicle (cluster, dme, motor control unit, etc.) and if a proper reset and coding isn't done, the mileage is usually affected as the control units / modules usually communicate with each other to determine the current mileage. I also read that a tamper dot almost always shows up if there's anything off with the mileage and control units.

I really hope I am wrong about this and the mileage is actually real because I don't want to go through the process of buying another car again for a while.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
No, I bought it about a month and a half ago and I had it checked at the official BMW dealership. I actually specifically asked them to check if the mileage has been tampered with, and they asked for both key fobs (original & spare) to make sure and everything came back normal according to them. I even did maintenance (oil, filter, etc.) and they gave me an official signed & stamped receipt with the current odometer on it.

Could this be an error with the DME or bimmerlink, for example? I really don't want to think I bought a car that actually has more miles than it says on the odometer, as it currently sits at 43,400 miles.
Yes, take the car back to the dealer with a picture of the error code. If they don't find the error then it's a bimmerlink problem.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,324 Posts
Before freaking out I would find out what this code actually means. There’s lots of errors when using aftermarket equipment and even some errors in BMWs proprietary software. This may not even actually be about a mileage difference on the vehicle at all but possibly the way 2 different control units interpret messages. You need more information.
THIS, you will get a dot is the millage has been tampered with

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,324 Posts
Don't know about US, but in a PROPER/REAL BMW DEALERSHIP, they wont tamper, they won't buy, PX any car which has had millage tampering, it's not worth there while.
So you CAN discount millage tampering but has already been discussed, it can be something else.

a tech will clear the code, monitor and see if it comes back

also I can't find that code anywhere, which is unusual, this is what I would do

1> clear the code see if it comes back
2> check for the dot on the dash
3> check all functions
4> if all is working leave it alone
5> car is out of warrantee, if extended it may or may not be covered, be aware you'll get charged if they can't find anything

Reactions: tarekelsakka

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,324 Posts
check on ista/inpa
Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Number

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to a service center tomorrow that has ISTA and I’ll check using that. I did find a sensor value on BimmerLink called mileage fuel delivery module which has 131,648 kms on it. I am still not a 100% but this is clearly a red flag.
Communication Device Font Mobile device Screenshot Electronic device

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts

I am not sure you got a complete and thorough inspection into the cars electronic module. Some service salesman could have put both key fobs in. looked at BMWAGs reords and said 'looks good'

In fact, YOU may be looking far harder than they did. Now, it it really went into the shop and they dug deep, thats different.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
THIS, you will get a dot is the millage has been tampered with
Wait, you think the 'mileage dot' is a perfect indictor?!? On= tamper...Off=everything ok?!?

Not hardly

Don't know about US, but in a PROPER/REAL BMW DEALERSHIP, they wont tamper, they won't buy, PX any car which has had millage tampering, it's not worth there while.
So you CAN discount millage tampering but has already been discussed, it can be something else.

OP, dont listen to him.

Dealers wont mess with tampered cars, but they also will not dig deep. As we see above, jaye seems to thing as long as the dot is off, everything is OK. This is utterly false.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,324 Posts
Just for the record I've put ARD on ignore, I'm fully sick and tired of his sh*t and harassment in multiple threads.
You can debate and talk about things without getting personal,
I have NO IDEA what his butthurt is but I don't wanna deal with it.

ALSO for the record, I'm not some f***ing yahoo, whoes fallen out of a tree, I've got over 30 years wrenching, on FORD, BMW, PORSCHE, GM's
I've owned 2 BMW's over 7 or 8 years and been a member on here since 2015.
I've done pretty much a lot of things on my E88 and now F23, I own use proper diagnostic tools and what I don't know I ask from various people in the know.
I'm a youtuber and have a BMW part of my channel.

I don't come on here for my health God knows having a 25% EF after a major F*ing STEMI (also known as a widowmaker)in January.

I get things wrong I get things right, I post information up, you take it or leave it.

I make allowances we all have bad days, but I'm too old in the tooth to take shit from any one and I wont.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,324 Posts
To the OP,

REGARDLESS of what you may hear, there are way's and means of tampering, hiding and avoiding it.
GENERALLY SPEAKING, the tamper dot is a dead give away.

I don't know about the Amrika, but in Canada BMW or MOST dealers cannot and will not sell you a car which has had millage tampered with.
IN the US it is ILLEGAL, does ANYONE think that BMW or ANY REPUTABLE DEALER is not going to do there due diligence and check for tampering.
YOU CANNOT SELL A USED CAR VIA DEALER WITH A TAMPERED MILLAGE >>>>IT IS ILLEGAL<<<<
and the GM of BMW Gotham city or whatever is not going to get done for a felony, go before a judge or risk jail time for conspiracy

not for any $ amount.

SO they won't take the risk, ANY goddamn BMW dealer will put the car up on ista in 30 sec's and tell you what the correct millage is.

For sure, mom&pop ard motors in georgia may wind back your millage, they have very little to loose.

AT the EOTD OP, your choice is go to the dealer and tell them your concerns. IF something illegal has happened then go get a lawyer.

18 replies you have your answer

·
Registered
F30 LCI 330i
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you, @jaye944, I appreciate your input on thread. I will definitely pay them a visit tomorrow and see what they say. Just for the record, I didn't buy the car from the dealership, the previous owner and myself went to the official BMW dealership and had them run diagnosis and I specifically asked them to check the mileage, which is why they asked for both key fobs. The dealership then gave me the greenlight, did routine maintenance and gave us an official, stamped document with the current mileage on it, so of course I ended up buying the car. I will go again tomorrow, show them the errors I saw, and see what they will say about that.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
I got enough problems so I’ll not get involved here other than to comment on changing an odometer…

If you slap a cluster or DME or other mileage redundant control unit in a car then it will set a manip dot.

changing the vehicle mileage is fuckin impossible. While it’s not technically impossible it’s NOT easy. “E” series was a lot easier than F cars and G cars are nearly truely impossible. On E chassis you need to disassemble the KOMBI and the DME and the GM/BDC/body control unit and the key. Then you need hot air stations to melt the glue, then you need individual programmers as each chip set is different. Then you need the IT skills to put it into use. Then you have to hack BMW AG and change the odometer on the servers as the keys report back to mothership. THEN you have to mail out documentation to 3rd party places for odometer corrections ( carfax, state offices, registration ) but even then you can only correct back to the last time the car was registered to key was read in at a dealer. And you better not make a single mistake during this process.
This was E chassis, and F series is a lot harder.
Nobody to my knowledge has been able to crack G series yet.
So yeah while technically it’s possible and is done occasionally by a few select programmers, it’s expensive and difficult and time consuming. So for all intensive purposes let’s just say “impossible”.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts