Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Got my new coupe yesterday and im psyched!!!! But I am having second thoughts on adding the 22s that I ordered for them. I am thinking to switching to maybe 21s because 22s may be too big. The 19" sport package wheels look pretty big on the car as it is. I could only imagine what the 22s are gunna look like. 22s look like the way to go from many many pics I have seen but I fear in person they may wind up looking clownish. Especially since my car is a lease and I will not be lowering it. What do you guys think? I already put the order in for my 22s but I think if I call this week I can make a last second change to 21s. Ahhhhhh I dont know what to do.

I just dont want the car to look clownish. Do 22s raise the car a lot or do they just lessen the space between the wheel well and the tire? As it is I have a 3.5" gap between the wheel well and the tire with the 19" wheels. I figure add 3 inches to that and that will just mean the gap will only be .5" and the car will still remain the same height. Also, my new tires are a little thinner so that should save me another .5 inch hopefully. I hope I am right!

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
22s will raise the car up, but with the lowering kit, it will sit decent, and fender gap will be killed nicly.

Just do the springs from h&r, it will cost you $400-600 bux to get the springs and installed. Once your lease is over, get them taken out, put the stock ones in, cost maybe abother 200bux. It will be worth it, and you will love how it looks.

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
My friend had 22inch Asanti's on his 645 convertible & he didnt even alter the suspension at all.. Long as the 22's have a lip they will appear smaller and will look very nice...If u went 21's I would suggest the BMW 128 style wheels..but u will be okay!

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
21s or 22s, they will make your 6 and 7 series cars look like 4x4s, unless you lower them. No if and or buts, its simple as that. So if you DONT plan on lowering your car. Dont, go with 21/22s, as it will look horendously fugly.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
In my opinion the 19" wheels are a perfect size for the 6. However, as a point of information, I am curious about how larger wheels affect performance - ride, handling, braking, etc. It strikes me that this car is so well engineered that even the slightest deviations from spec could disrupt or impact how the car is designed to perform. Just wondering....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Personally. I found the same thing when I see the 19in wheels in person. They are big. I think though the 6 series has enough presence to get away with a larger wheel and still maintain a prestigious styling.

I think if you don't lower the car, 21 and 22 inch wheels are not going to look good. In fact I would stay with stock. I'm attaching 21 inch BBS wheels (The same as Stratus's). This car is not lowered and sits way different than Stratus's car. Look at the attachments below then look at Stratus's signature photo and you will see what I mean.

My plan is to lower the car first, see how the 19s look then go from there. Whether I do 20's or 21s or anyting will depend on how the 19s look lowered. If you do nothing at all, I doubt you'll run into another 6 like yours even stock. So you will still be unique.

Tbal is right. Buy H&R, lower the car, keep the stocks. Put the stocks back on. Then you can put larger wheels on it. It's really going to be what you think is too big. You know the guys here, myself included, will tout thier own opions and they will mostly be different.

LeslieRC - REALLY GOOD POINT. I had the same concerns with any mods to a car that I think BWM spent years engineering and prototyping. Who am I to modify it. Buuuutttt. BMW also sells an optional 20inch wheel for the 6. BMW also warrants the car, so they would tend to be more conservative with stock parts when producing for the masses. If you have ever seen BMW proto pics and future models shown at trade shows, BMW will themselvers lower the car and use bigger wheels than what is offered in production versions. From my personal experience, I modded a 2000 M Roadster Coupe, with DINAN exhaust components. I also lowered with H&R, and put 19in Hammans on. Torque, acceleration, and corning where all improved. Handling that small wheel base at those speeds could be a little bit "freaky". So I would say I went too large on the wheels for that car. Sorry to babble.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
21s or 22s, they will make your 6 and 7 series cars look like 4x4s, unless you lower them. No if and or buts, its simple as that. So if you DONT plan on lowering your car. Dont, go with 21/22s, as it will look horendously fugly.
I checked the wheel diameter for my stock wheels compared to 21" Pirelli's and 22"Pirellis and here is what I came up with.

The stocks are 26.9 in front, 26.7 in back
21" Pirellis- 27.5 in front, 26.8 in back
22" Pirellis- 27.9 in front, 27.8 in back

So looking at this overall not much of a difference when going from stock to 22's. The difference is about 1 inch in the front and rear. Right now I have about 3-3.5 space between the tire and the wheel well. Therefore my guess is that by adding the 22s it will just lessen that space by an inch. Thus it really wont raise the car it will just make it look like more rim and less tire.

I would love to see some pics of an unlowered six on 22s compared with a lowered one for comparison. However, as I have stated I will not lower due to my lease.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have any pictures of a 6 with 22's not lowered but I did attach my M Roadster which I put through a similar wheel size change. (I'll warn you in advance some of these pics are large).

Pic 1 & 2 : 17inch Stock Wheels on stock springs
Pic 3 & 4: 19 inch Hamann on stock springs
Pic 5 & 6: 19 inch Hamann on H&R Springs

You can see the difference in the stance of the car. The larger wheels also did not go far in filling the wheel well.

This was a 2 inch diameter wheel difference, putting the axle 1 inch higher than stock with the same tire size. 22s will put the axle 1.5 inches higher with same tire. Although the wheel takes up more room in the fender, the body is raised. Take a look at my previous post of the Black 6 on 21s with BBS RXII unlowered, and Stratus650's Gray with 21in BBS RXIIs lowered.

If you're not going to lower, you should stay with 19s. Bet new 19s with a lip if you really want to customize. But I don't think you're going to like the 22's unlowered.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oh, yeah. Another thing. Your measurements between 19inch stock and 22s are about 1in difference. While it may not seem like a lot. A lowering kit usually lowers between 3/4 and 1.5 inches whether stock wheels or not. The 1 - 1.5 inches makes a big visual difference.

Sorry to be so preachy. But all the cars you've shown in the past that had the "look" you liked were lowered, and I think the same cars unlowered, wouldn't have looked as good to you.

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
rixsix good info man, hope that gives people a better insight on why they should lower their 6 if they plan on using 21 22s.

leslierc... i have 22s, and i can tell you that it does ride smoother than my 19s (maybe becaause rft suck) however, the car does eat more gas, acceleration is slower, and obvioslly the braking you need to apply more than usual pressure...

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Thanks "RixSix" and "tbal69"!

·
Former Supporting member
825 Posts
My plan is to lower the car first, see how the 19s look then go from there. Whether I do 20's or 21s or anyting will depend on how the 19s look lowered.
stock 19's lowered (archived pic :p) too much rubber IMHO

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke to my guy who is putting my wheels on. He said he can find a way to put the 22's on in a way where the car will not be raised and he can fill the gap between the tire and wheel well even more. Another thing you need to take into account is the new wheels will have tires that are about .5"-1" thinner than stock. That makes up for some room.

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
^^^ how can you put on wheels any differently? You simply mount them on.... :p
It comes down to how aggressive drop the springs do. For example, eibach drop wouldnt be a good idea for 22s...

K.. the car looks pretty sweet with those stockys... i hate my stock flower wheels lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
stock 19's lowered (archived pic :p) too much rubber IMHO
Agree on the "too much rubber". Do you have the sport package? I ask becuase those look like the stock 18" wheels which would show more rubber than stock 19 included with the sport package.

I will say though that even at 18" and too much rubber, I like the look lowered as opposed to stock. So for a $500 mod for springs, I think you get a big bang for the buck.

Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
^^^ how can you put on wheels any differently? You simply mount them on.... :p
It comes down to how aggressive drop the springs do. For example, eibach drop wouldnt be a good idea for 22s...

K.. the car looks pretty sweet with those stockys... i hate my stock flower wheels lol
You had the Ellipsoides right? Those looked pretty cool. My Dad has them on his 07 650i. I think those would look pretty good with H&R springs.

Although you're right they do look like flowers now that you mention it. :gay:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.