BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

22's versus 20's

9765 Views 29 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  oldknife
Good mourning to all. This is my first post. I have recently purchased a BMW 750i. I love everything about this car in and out. My only issue is rims. I have had a million cars with all kinds of rims. I want to do my BMW right. I see a lot of people sporting 22's, 24's, even 20's on their 7 series. I like to hit the tollway in dallas at 110-120 cruising. I guess my question is what would be the biggest rim I could go without losing performance, or having to change anything on the suspension? I currently have 19's stock right now.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
22's are the way to go. Will give you enough size difference from your 19's and wont lose much at all performance wise.
Good mourning to all. This is my first post. I have recently purchased a BMW 750i. I love everything about this car in and out. My only issue is rims. I have had a million cars with all kinds of rims. I want to do my BMW right. I see a lot of people sporting 22's, 24's, even 20's on their 7 series. I like to hit the tollway in dallas at 110-120 cruising. I guess my question is what would be the biggest rim I could go without losing performance, or having to change anything on the suspension? I currently have 19's stock right now.
staggered

I almost forgot. How does everyone feel about staggered rims? They look good but I'm not trying to go through tires every 6-8 months.
I have staggered 22's but havent had them on long enough to talk about treadlife.
I was surprised how small 20" rims look on a 7 series.
I would go with 22"s. Note on 21's not many tire sizes available and hella expensive.
20s are way to small. the only 20s ive ever seen that look good mrr 20" concave wheels. i should be getting my 22" vossen cv1s today and cant wait to put them on.
Personally, I feel that 21's are the largest you should go. Even though 22"s give you a LOT of customization, the fact that you have less rubber on the road means more chances for bending a wheel after hitting a pothole.

I'd stick with some 21's (with a lip or without) or stick with 20's WITHOUT a lip. Concave styles are going to be your best friend!
20's are too small, 24's are way too big. I'd go 21 or 22. Do 21 if you drive on bad roads or you want to performance drive a lot so you can use thicker rubber. You'll have to lower the car just right to get a good look. Do 22's for that baller look if most of your driving is on smooth roads without mountain twisties. Only a minimal drop would be needed for 22's.
21 is the ideal size for keeping a hair of rubber still on the road, 22's do look awesome but u will bend them.
I guess I have the baller look then! Lol :) sorry not making fun just chuckled when I read this!

22s are a pain in the ass. After lowering the car and adding larger wheels be ready to start spending money.
20's are too small, 24's are way too big. I'd go 21 or 22. Do 21 if you drive on bad roads or you want to performance drive a lot so you can use thicker rubber. You'll have to lower the car just right to get a good look. Do 22's for that baller look if most of your driving is on smooth roads without mountain twisties. Only a minimal drop would be needed for 22's.
I ran 22's for three years in Los Angeles and bent each rim at least 5 times on pot holes. I now run 20" BMW 128 look a likes and have 40 series rubber on them. Mine is the Sport, so it has a firmer ride to start with. I had a rough ride with 22's. Felt every bump on these bad roads. Now I have a good ride and the 20's don't look as good as the 22's, but I like driving my car, not on the side of the road changing a flat because of a bent rim. The best way is to try 22's, 21's, and 20's to see what you like. That's right, I've spent about $2500 on replacing suspension parts worn out by the 22's...
I've driven my car 19s, 20s (stock and lowered) and now 22s (on springs and now coilovers). Driving on springs and coilovers is a big difference. I love the ride but your so right about the amount of money and time and headaches having low profile tires on your car is. Hopefully my next car will be an alpina or M6 and I won't have to do anything to them except tints, lowering springs.

Well ofcourse performance mods! Lol
I ran 22's for three years in Los Angeles and bent each rim at least 5 times on pot holes. I now run 20" BMW 128 look a likes and have 40 series rubber on them. Mine is the Sport, so it has a firmer ride to start with. I had a rough ride with 22's. Felt every bump on these bad roads. Now I have a good ride and the 20's don't look as good as the 22's, but I like driving my car, not on the side of the road changing a flat because of a bent rim. The best way is to try 22's, 21's, and 20's to see what you like. That's right, I've spent about $2500 on replacing suspension parts worn out by the 22's...
22 vs 20

Thanks for all the feedback. Its helping a lot. for everyone riding 22's staggered or not, what size tires are y'all running? 25 series? How fast are you going through tires? Do u have problems with the infamous rubbing? I have a family so I'm not trying to ride the family to dinner rubbing everything in the wheel well.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.