Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 230i with M-chassis, VSS and adaptive suspension, and my steering is driving me crazy: For example: When steering through a turn at around 90 km/h with the steering wheel at around 11 o'clock, the steering wheel just stays there, and the car keeps turning until I pull it back to centre. Is this normal behaviour or should the steering self-centre?

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
The steering should self-center. Back to the dealer she should go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks. I was thinking as much. It is the same in both directions byt the way, only a little worse in left turns. The dealer says it is fine, but I have tested other BMWs, but they all self-center. Anyone else?

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
The dealer says it is fine
This is typically when you would ask him to point to one other BMW on the floor that does the same thing.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,643 Posts
My 2019 230i has the M Sport pkg but not the track package and it self centers. I would request for a master tech to do a test drive with you. Not sure if most dealers will have another 230i with your same set up for you to compare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What shop installed the suspension mods? You really should have the car aligned.
The adaptive suspension is an original BMW option, so it was fitted at the factory. It has also been aligned, and everything is within the tolerance range.

Could it maybe the programming for the variable steering?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2019 230i has the M Sport pkg but not the track package and it self centers. I would request for a master tech to do a test drive with you. Not sure if most dealers will have another 230i with your same set up for you to compare.
Forgot to mention that mine is RWD, is yours also RWD and not AWD?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A front tension strut has been replaced due to a clonking noise. No massive potholes, it has been like this since I left the dealers' with it brand new.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,643 Posts
Forgot to mention that mine is RWD, is yours also RWD and not AWD?
mine is a RWD...sounds like you need to either return to the same dealer and squawk more or try a different dealer if your car is still under warranty. If possible, get one of their master mechanics to do a test drive with you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Me and the head of mechanics at the dealer took a short drive a few weeks ago. He said he could definitely see what I meant but would not go as far as saying it was a fault. Later he got back to me saying he had now tested other BMWs, and some had behaved in a similar fashion. But I have yet to be presented with a BMW that behaves the same way, that seems to be more difficult. All the BMWs I have tested self-center.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am suspecting more and more that there is something wrong with the steering rack. Sometimes when turning it feels like there is more or less resistance in the steering wheel giving a very strange feeling of the car swaying around or steering by itself.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
As manufacturers try to squeeze every bit of fuel mileage out of their car’s, the cars become more complex. Case in point is the steering. Decades ago only Cadillacs and the like had power steering. Then every car had hydraulic power steering. Now we have electric power steering. Of course, the geeks (of which I used to be) thought computerized electric power steering (basically electronic power steering) is the way to go. Now you need a computer with the computing power of a warehouse of IBM 360s (was m dating myself) to diagnose any problem!!!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a new 230i with M-chassis, VSS and adaptive suspension, and my steering is driving me crazy: For example: When steering through a turn at around 90 km/h with the steering wheel at around 11 o'clock, the steering wheel just stays there, and the car keeps turning until I pull it back to centre. Is this normal behaviour or should the steering self-centre?
Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't get the notice for some reason.

I had a 2016 228i with m sport package. That car vigorously, rapidly, and accurately self-centered the steering wheel after turning.

I just got a 2019 230i with track handling pack, and the steering is really different, including a weaker desire to self-center. I chalk it up to the a side effect the "enhanced steering" that comes with THP, ie steering gets heavier at high speeds.

HOWEVER, it is NOT want you described. I do not in any way need to pull it back to center. I just took the car and did a bunch of turns at different speeds and angles. When the angle is significant like maybe 9-10 o'clock, the wheel self-centered smartly, no need to pull the wheel even slightly. The wheel travels rapidly 100% back to the middle and stops. It might slow down a bit for the last few degrees. If the turn is very slight it still self centers successfully but seemingly quite slowly.

How that helps. I could give you more detail but bottom line IMO is if you really need to pull the back back it's that's bad and your car needs repair!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't get the notice for some reason.

I had a 2016 228i with m sport package. That car vigorously, rapidly, and accurately self-centered the steering wheel after turning.

I just got a 2019 230i with track handling pack, and the steering is really different, including a weaker desire to self-center. I chalk it up to the a side effect the "enhanced steering" that comes with THP, ie steering gets heavier at high speeds.

HOWEVER, it is NOT want you described. I do not in any way need to pull it back to center. I just took the car and did a bunch of turns at different speeds and angles. When the angle is significant like maybe 9-10 o'clock, the wheel self-centered smartly, no need to pull the wheel even slightly. The wheel travels rapidly 100% back to the middle and stops. It might slow down a bit for the last few degrees. If the turn is very slight it still self centers successfully but seemingly quite slowly.

How that helps. I could give you more detail but bottom line IMO is if you really need to pull the back back it's that's bad and your car needs repair!
Thanks a lot, this really helps me, since your setup is the exact same as mine. Are you also running the Michelin PSS tires?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I am running those Michelins!! Not sure if it's the car or the tires, but the car takes tight corners amazingly well. It seem to want to be pushed thru the corner. My current car is my second 2 series. I had three 3 series before that including an e46. My point being I do have something with which to compare my current car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts