BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw 507 miles on the trip computer today. After filling up, it came out to 28.1 MPG. Sure I'd love more power, but I also love that MPG. Also helps that I spent two weeks of pretty much back and forth to the office which is a 50 mile round trip on highways. Oh, and trying to keep it below 70 MPH.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hi

28.1 mpg out of a 525i and from what you said is 50 miles of commuting on mainly highways I thought was actually quite low/not too good. The figure from richardcoelho getting almost exactly the same out of a 4.4 litre albeit manual shows that up. 02bmw530's figure is more of what I'd expected.

bluebee - in actual fact, manual cars on a highway run are excellent for fuel consumption compared to auto's of the same car. I have a Diesel 530 auto, and driving normally at 75-80 on the motorway as most of the UK does, will see me between 36-40 MPG. The same car in manual form will see figures of 47-50mpg. I'm even thinking to convert to a manual gearbox as our fuel prices are already at insane levels, and of course widely anticipated to go higher still.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
525's are less thrifty than 530's.

If the 530 had a slight overdrive final drive (the 540's must use their overdrive to get the highway mileage they do or all bets would be off), the mileage would probably be even better.

Still, getting 30 plus MPG while turning 2750 to 3000rpm is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Somethings off on my car. It's saying I only get 24 mpg. Either that or I don't know how to reset the data on the dash. Maybe changing out my bad thermostat will help things. I drive a 530i auto btw and most of my driving is on the highway. 90 miles round trip to and from work.

·
BMW CCA Member #: 444067
261 Posts
Through carefully avoiding vigorous acceleration and keeping the car at 70 on the interstate, my 540i approaches 28 m.p.g. But I must really pay attention to accelerations, especially at the lower speeds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi

28.1 mpg out of a 525i and from what you said is 50 miles of commuting on mainly highways I thought was actually quite low/not too good.

Cheers, Dennis!
There was some local driving. Hmmm.

Auto. But a post or two above shows the sentiment that perhaps somethings not right with your car....

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I'm beginning to think you're right.

525's are less thrifty than 530's.

Dang it. That's the whole reason I got a 525 and not a 530 or 540!

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I can tell I'm getting around 21mpg on my 03 525i, I think my speedometer is off at least 3 mph at 60 it reads 63 mph compared to my tom tom. I have the vanos seals and ccv but have yet to be installed, hopfully those repairs help my mpg's

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Through carefully avoiding vigorous acceleration and keeping the car at 70 on the interstate, my 540i approaches 28 m.p.g. But I must really pay attention to accelerations, especially at the lower speeds.
Of course, if you do that, it begs the question, "Why get the V8?" I go through that thought process all the time, and then I say, "Ah, hell," and put my foot down.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
BTW, having taken quite a few science classes in my life, I must say with satisfaction that the last few posts quoting mpg figures sans decimal points are welcome to my eyes.

In the science world, it's a basic maxim that you don't show figures to unrealistic 'apparent' accuracy.

There is absolutely no way anyone here, with the equipment & methods at hand, could get anywhere near 'decimal' accuracy on MPG figures. In science, when you see wishful-thinking on accuracy, you then begin to question the rest of the premise by any author bold enough to think they're getting decimal accuracy.

I'm not sure WHAT accuracy we can obtain - but I suspect it's nowhere even near the 4% that the EPA gets on test cars on test tracks with weight-measuring (not just volume) temperature-compensating equipment and multiple duplicate runs.

For details, see this thread:
- The most accurate method of measuring E39 miles per gallon (mpg) with +/- tolerance

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
BTW, having taken quite a few science classes in my life, I must say with satisfaction that the last few posts quoting mpg figures sans decimal points are welcome to my eyes.

In the science world, it's a basic maxim that you don't show figures to unrealistic 'apparent' accuracy.
In line with Bluebee's comment, here's a pertinent link from Purdue University Chemistry Department. Sample quote:

"It is important to be honest when reporting a measurement, so that it does not appear to be more accurate than the equipment used to make the measurement allows. We can achieve this by controlling the number of digits, or significant figures, used to report the measurement."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.