Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been getting a slight idle issue lately at stop lights. Not noticeable by most but after 241k miles it’s noticeable to me.

I hooked it up to my inpa and have a 2aa8 code. Sounds like I need to replace both DISA’s. Thoughts?

I see rebuild kits out there but most have a month or so lead time. Anyone see issues with me driving a few weeks? I don’t want one of those pins to break free and get sucked into the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
I’ve been getting a slight idle issue lately at stop lights. Not noticeable by most but after 241k miles it’s noticeable to me.

I hooked it up to my inpa and have a 2aa8 code. Sounds like I need to replace both DISA’s. Thoughts?

I see rebuild kits out there but most have a month or so lead time. Anyone see issues with me driving a few weeks? I don’t want one of those pins to break free and get sucked into the engine.

Quite honestly I’m not familiar with that code. But from what I recall from the M54 DISA game, it was most dangerous upon removal, so Id wager the car will be fine until you change them. I wouldn’t think twice on running it another week.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update for everyone....

Lesson here...if you get a 2aa8 code stop and immediately acquire a set of new disa’s...I got lucky.

Essentially all of my check engine lights and codes on misfire cylinder 3 and 6 were caused by the DISA. I burned through a set of fuel injectors that cleared the check engine for but didn’t solve the underlying issue. I also swapped the plugs out but it was time (40k on them).

Last weekend finally had all the parts onsite to tear the intake out and tackle the job (disa took 8 freaking weeks to get here).

My driver side disa was trashed. Both butterfly flappers were missing and I luckily found the pin rattling in my intake.

Guess where I found both butterflies??? You guessed it wedged in the cylinder 3 and 6 combustion chamber directly under the fuel injectors.

Fixed now...I’m swapping out the fuel injectors with the correct set today...side note don’t install injectors with filters.

Pictures below bigger issue though discovered either my oil pan is leaking or my rear main. It’s pretty messy under the car. I suspect oil pan...I cleaned it up...but should really insert a die to see true leak source. Not looking forward to that job....if I do it.

57696512406__B5F90AFC-EA3A-4AF0-9EA5-296AD5616BB8.jpg 57696514818__983D4575-D93B-46BB-ABC4-CB638F234B84.jpg 57696542947__03B1D6CD-192C-402A-AB76-1A84057F99F0.jpg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wow! I rebuilt my right/smaller DISA with a Ukar kit since I was removing the IM anyway. It was fine at the time - only a ver small amount of play. The N52 DISA's haven't seemed to be as troublesome as the M54's, but it appears you have a lot more miles accumulated than most. Definitely something to I'll keep an eye on as the mileage climbs.

Glad it didn't cause any serious damage!

AM.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t need to...they couldn’t make the curve. They were directly under the fuel injectors where the intake ports are located. Good call...I mistakenly interchanged combination chamber and intake port/fuel injection area. What’s the official name? I’ll update my comment above.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Gotcha... these aren't DI engines. ;)

Hopefully no bits made their way past the valves.

I'm at 155k and after the influx of DISA posts as of late, I pulled my upper a few weeks ago for inspection. Looks brand new.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm expecting at least that. :thumbup:

Car drives great now! Of course now my oil pan is leaking;(.... I can tackle it...just not sure when yet though or if I want to...that’s a 12 pack of coors job...(the banquet kind...)...plus full weekend.

You’ll get there...just like I know 150k is right timing for full cooling system refresh and oil filter housing gasket.

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Car drives great now! Of course now my oil pan is leaking;(.... I can tackle it...just not sure when yet though or if I want to...that***8217;s a 12 pack of coors job...(the banquet kind...)...plus full weekend.

You***8217;ll get there...just like I know 150k is right timing for full cooling system refresh and oil filter housing gasket.

I did my OFHG at 100k, and expansion tank/hoses at 140k.

While your pan gasket may be at fault... double check that its not the front crank seal. When it leaks, the cooling fans blow the oil down along the edges of the gasket making it look like the pan gasket is leaking. If it is the gasket leaking, replacement of the bolts with thread sealant can buy you time. Pull the fans out and check around the front crank pulley with a mirror and a flashlight... if there's oil residue (ANY residue) your issue is likely a crank seal and not the pan gasket. The crank seal requires a special $200 tool which I happen to have... you're def a trustworthy guy, so if it's the seal that you need to do, PM me and we may be able to reach an agreement for a tool-lend.... I've done the job so feel free to PM me for details too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts