BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Driving an 2010 E90 - N52 and as the title states. She no run. I replaced the original battery recently and before registering it (2 days) ran just fine.

Using iCarly app, got battery registered without issue. It then died in my garage the very next startup.

Has not started since or even given signs up starting. I did notice I failed to plug in the BSD (blue connector) originally but the car ran fine those two days with it unplugged. Reconnecting did not help!

Using ISTA I was able to read the following codes;

2E8E - IBS Sensor Missing
2AA1 - Camshaft Sensor, exhaust, signal

Clearing the codes does not change the condition and they return upon x1 startup attempt. I followed the diagnosis procedure via ISTA for the IBS sensor and voltage/connection all seems good but the error persist.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of issue? I'm about ready to buy a new IBS sensor but I'm not one to normally just throw parts at a problem.

Any help, guidance (esp in ISTA) or input is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Diego

Attachments

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
When you where replacing the battery maybe you dislodged
the BSD connector at that battery.
Or did not plug the power connector for the IBS back into
one of the bladeless power connector slots.

The other problem is probably real.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
The IBS is nothing. A bad cam sensor will definitely shut you down. Follow that. If the intake and exhaust cams use the same sensor, just swap them and see if the code follows. If that changes nothing, check wiring, etc. and ISTA/google the troubleshooting procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially the BSD cable (blue connector) was disconnected but the car ran fine those two days. I'll admit my ignorance with respect to the IBS sensativity and it is possible i could have stressed it when replacing the battery.

But from what I've gathered via the forums when the DME reads a fault from the IBS it goes to a defaul value; which my assumption is would allow the car to start and just mean imprecise charging for the battery.

I'll follow up with the camshaft sensors tonight!

Diego

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the documentation, I'll have to give it a look over. The more I am in ISTA the more things are coming to me but don't want to miss anything obvious.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Yes the car will run fine wthout an IBS but supposedly it
will decrease the battery life.
You have to be carefull to plug the power cable for the IBS back into
one of the slots that is actually populated with a blade terminal
as from the factory for the fusible link array , Otherwise it will
have no power See first PDF on IBS.

I would suggest you re register clear codes and try again .
Or Maybe it was bad and the last person unplugged it .

See first pdf

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dhOSc2JggwVqMGg&bvm=bv.60157871,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=Hx0XqNfe5pNZsCpGSZFnKg&bvm=bv.85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=P2mzAf34AGpTkGZOPnfzzg&bvm=bv.85464276,d.cGU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back here -- IBS code went away welcome lights are operational again. Whoo hoo! I guess disconnecting it fully and leaving it overnight did something? I digress though because the other code persist.

I've swapped out the sensor and the code did not follow, I used the Pelican parts guide for testing and confirmed all three terminals showing correct voltage (12v, 0v, 5v). I also used the guide below;

https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-vanos-system-fault-testing-and-diagnosing

up to the non-return valve and all seemed good. I am at a lost but encouraged by the IBS fault being resolved!

Diego

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***UPDATE***

VANOS exhaust gear bolts snapped. Finding out now there is a recall on them. Hoping to get in touch with BMW NA and see what the procedure would be if covered to get my car from my indy to them for the work to be done.

Will keep all posted!

Diego

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had both VANOS Gears changed, both had bolt heads snapped off. I consider myself very lucky as I had been hearing a bad ticking noise (which I was told were probably the bolt heads bouncing around) for months! Got a new lease on this N52 life!

Moral of the Story: If you've got a pesky camshaft code that wont go away from swapping/testing check if you are affected by this recall. Or if you have your valve cover off double check the bolts on your VANOS gears to ensure they are not backing out or broke off.

Diego

1 - 10 of 10 Posts