BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 645ci, last December I got a check engine light. "Increased Emissions". Took it to my BMW dealership and they informed me that it was a bad thermostat, for the $260 I had them just replace it. Car was returned and no check engine light present. I drove it till August and the same light popped back up. Took it back to BMW they informed me it was the same error. I told them to just replace the bad part it's under warranty. They informed me that there was a BMW Bulletin out about this issue coming up twice and refused to replace the thermostat, instead they wanted me to pay $2600 for a engine harness. If the light came back on after the engine harness was installed they would replace the thermostat for me. Pretty nice of them isn't it! I cleared the light, drove the care for 1500 miles at least and then the light popped back on. Cleared it, drove it again for 600+ miles popped up again, cleared it again took a road trip 2 hours away and back light popped up again and now after clearing it pops up after 5-30 miles. Got very frustrated with the whole process and complained to my BMW dealership. They said they would do the thermostat, in the process they replaced the temp sensor also. I got the car back on 11/1/2016 drove it home, went 10 min from my home and back, then back out 5 min and the light is back on. BMW has made me believe that the only fix is this engine harness. The car runs completely fine and normal. My gas millage has dropped from 17-19 mpg to about 16 mpg. I get the feeling since we live in Phoenix and it is Scottsdale BMW that people just throw money around at the dealership to get things fixed. I tend to do all DIY on my cars. This just does not seem right. Please advise!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi first sorry for my english. i had same problem about millage. i clen maf sensor then was ok. and same problem with thermostat. i change him and still same engine light come on. and around sane time gone my heater control valve. i change valve and since that never come back light. im not sure if is luck or what. but maybe help u.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
Have you tried replacing the coolant with fresh BMW coolant. If the coolant level does not read the correct mixture, it can cause a thermostat code.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
It might be a good time to flush the system, & install some new coolant. Low additive levels in the coolant will cause the thermostat to set the CEL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I pulled the codes from an auto parts place, I got secondary air injection system codes for bank 1 and bank 2. Two codes for bank 1. I also got a coolant thermostat (coolent temperature below thermostat regulating temperature).

I don't think changing the coolant will solve this issue. At least the air injections codes. For the 2 gallons of coolant I can flush the system. The car has 117k miles on it. I was reading more about the bank 1 and 2 and going to see if I can find the y pipe and maybe jump the fan to verify if I have airflow at the tips of the exhaust.

Any other ideas?

I did have the parts store clear the codes and waiting for something to come back. I am buying a code reader from bavauto on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
If you have a 117k miles on the car, the SA system air ports are most likely clogged. I would jump the pump & then go from there. There is not really an easy repair for the clogged air ports in the heads.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
I would suggest buying something else than a code reader for our cars. INPA, DIS, or other BMW software tools will help a lot more. They can be found out on the net!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any suggestions of brands of software or hardware? I have a laptop and I do IT for a living so the computer side I have in the bag.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
Any suggestions of brands of software or hardware? I have a laptop and I do IT for a living so the computer side I have in the bag.
Search the last thread, & you should find several software packages that come with the proper cable for your car. Make sure the cable is for the correct year of your car. Not the easiest software to use, but it is the best you will find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found and tested

I found the pump and tested it. The pump does run but I heard nothing from either tailpipe, in all three people listened at the end of the car. The y pipe does appear to be assembled and not disconnected. I would imagine that the rails are both clogged. How do I know what motor I have to see if the N62 kit will work to clean out the rails? 2005 645ci should be the N62 correct? I am doing the coolent flush and an oil change tonight on it. No codes have come up yet on the car.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
The N62 motor would be correct. The flushing of the SA system is a little misleading. I really do not think that it will clear the air passages in a completely clogged head. Flushing solvents in the engine can lead to some serious problems, if done to aggressively. Others have damaged cylinder walls with this method. There are only 2 other options for resolving the SA problem. One is to drop the engine out & drill holes in the heads, then drill the air ports out. If they clog again, you simply remove the set screws that were installed after the drilling, & drill them out again. The last resort is to remove the heads & have someone remove the carbon. The carbon is very hard to remove. If you don't have an inspection to pass, simply leave the SA system alone & drive the car. No damage will result in leaving the SA system as is. AGA the maker of the tools is located near San Diego. I would ask them how much they would charge to clean the system, & will they take responsibility if the engine is damaged?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aga

I talked with AGA today, they were very helpful. They said it is a very time consuming job. They charge 18-20 hours to do the job. They recommended to drop the exhaust to clear out the carbon that the kit does not get to. He said with my millage there is more carbon than just in the rail which is the same thing you are saying. Their shop is about 5-6 hours from my home. It is possible to go there.

I do have an inspection to pass however that is a little over a year from now. I am running the car right now with no lights on it. I cleared the codes about 100 miles ago and no light has returned including the thermostat. When should the light come back on if they are clogged? I plan on doing an oil change and flushing the coolant on Friday/Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
Did you purchase this car within the last 12 months, it sounds like the same car as a member that has not surfaced lately. He lived in the same area, with the same problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I purchased the car in Toledo Ohio, it was originally purchased in cali, hit in a accident at 12000 miles, purchased again in Chicago and was owned by the same lady till 87000 miles. I bought it from her. From the acccident the window never sealed correctly, the lady wasn't to smart and just drove it. It leaked water when going through the car wash. She never informed me of course till after. This leak went downt the a pillar and across the passenger door, which burned out the fiber modular in the door and also ruined the harness in the door. That was a 1800 repair. Since then the car has been great no leaks. Had BMW miss diagnose the oil sensor for a vacuum pump and probably miss diag the thermostat for a coolent flush. That is the history of the car. I have owned the car now for 2 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check engine light on again

Drove the car for 119 miles with no light, secondary air bank 1 and 2 came back on. Definitly plugged. I am calling AGA on Monday for a quote and will update my progress. I had 4 codes total, some were pending others were confirmed. All codes were secondary air. Can I code the care to euro for a work around? You mentioned it wont hurt the car, and the car drives fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts