BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2nd ED in 3 weeks. Germany, France?

947 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  1STBimmer
So it's been a few weeks since I placed the order for the M3 and reality is starting to sink in now. Last year, it was 5 crazy weeks between order and delivery, this time I did it the 'proper' way allowing a much more relaxed 10 weeks between order and proposed delivery time.

By now I've got the itinerary almost finalized except for a couple of days and would like everyone's help to figure out what to do...

9/27 - Arrival to MUC (fly into STR and then drive...couldn't get award tix to MUC for those dates).

9/28 - Delivery . Do the normal stuff, leave after the factory tour which we didn't get around to do last year 'cause wife was pregnant.

9/29 - Not much planned, tentatively going to Dachau, or staying somewhere in bavaria. (ideas? suggestions for day trips?) - Yes would love to drive to the 'ring but 900km in 1 day sounds like a lot...

9/30 - Munich - Strassbourg. Meed with friends for breakfast in MUC then drive to Strasbourg, spend the night there walk around town.

10/1 - Strassbourg - Versailles - Drive to Versailles, visit the palace and trianons in the pm and the next morning.

10/2 - Paris - Drop off car before getting to Paris, take metro to Paris and spend the rest of the week there.

10/6 - Trip Back to reality.

Now, I'm not sure about what to do on Saturday the 30th. Also, not sure about the day in Versailles, may be better to drive straight into Paris and spend an extra day there?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Here are my thoughts:

9/28 - You should be finished with the factory tour around 2pm. Why not go to Dachau that afternoon? Both the Welt and Dachau are NW of Munich Center and Google estimates it will only take 15-20 minutes to get there. Dachau is open from 9a-5p Tue- Sun. I would think that this should allow enough time to see it. This would free up the next day for a longer trip.

9/29 - Drive to Salzburg and visit Herrenchiemsee on the way. Herrenchiemsee was Ludwig's version of Versailles. You will be able to compare it with the real thing later in your trip. Alternatively, go out to Neuschwanstein and visit Wieskirche (a rococo church with a beautiful interior) on the way. On your way back to Munich from Salzburg or Neuschwanstein drive a little of the Alpenstrasse.

9/30 - Consider stopping in Mulhouse (Bugatti and other cars museum), Riquewihr and/or Colmar on the way to Strasbourg (R and C are beautiful little towns). Mulhouse to Strasbourg are more or less on the Route des Vins.

10/1 - I would recommend dropping your BMW off before entering Paris and heading to Versailles. Versailles is very reachable by train. A Parisian's idea of parking in a tight space will remind you of a Demolition Derby. Driving in Paris is something very few people want to do more than once, and you will have to do it twice - once to Versailles and then again when you go to the drop-off.
By now I've got the itinerary almost finalized except for a couple of days and would like everyone's help to figure out what to do...

9/27 - Arrival to MUC (fly into STR and then drive...couldn't get award tix to MUC for those dates).

9/28 - Delivery . Do the normal stuff, leave after the factory tour which we didn't get around to do last year 'cause wife was pregnant.

9/29 - Not much planned, tentatively going to Dachau, or staying somewhere in bavaria. (ideas? suggestions for day trips?) - Yes would love to drive to the 'ring but 900km in 1 day sounds like a lot...

9/30 - Munich - Strassbourg. Meed with friends for breakfast in MUC then drive to Strasbourg, spend the night there walk around town.

10/1 - Strassbourg - Versailles - Drive to Versailles, visit the palace and trianons in the pm and the next morning.

10/2 - Paris - Drop off car before getting to Paris, take metro to Paris and spend the rest of the week there.

10/6 - Trip Back to reality.

Now, I'm not sure about what to do on Saturday the 30th. Also, not sure about the day in Versailles, may be better to drive straight into Paris and spend an extra day there?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
You are in Munich for Oktoberfest and don't have plans of enjoying it? That's crazy talk. We are picking up the day after you and will be heading over to Mulhouse Colmar area on the 1st. If you need something to do on the way to Paris don't forget Reims champagne capital of France and some great sites.
Dachau staff ran us at at 5pm last month :(
I was expecting to do the tour of Dingolfing plant on Fri afternoon but that was just shot down so may do Dachau instead.

Salzburg sounds interesting, but so does Oktoberfest, and Sat would be a good day to hit it up. Meh, visiting Mozart's home town or drinking a lot of bier...then again, not like I go to oktoberfest every year.

Yes, definitely planning on visiting the Cite de L'Automobile museum before leaving the Strasbourg/colmar/mulhouse area.

Thanks!
Here are my thoughts:

9/28 - You should be finished with the factory tour around 2pm. Why not go to Dachau that afternoon? Both the Welt and Dachau are NW of Munich Center and Google estimates it will only take 15-20 minutes to get there. Dachau is open from 9a-5p Tue- Sun. I would think that this should allow enough time to see it. This would free up the next day for a longer trip.

9/29 - Drive to Salzburg and visit Herrenchiemsee on the way. Herrenchiemsee was Ludwig's version of Versailles. You will be able to compare it with the real thing later in your trip. Alternatively, go out to Neuschwanstein and visit Wieskirche (a rococo church with a beautiful interior) on the way. On your way back to Munich from Salzburg or Neuschwanstein drive a little of the Alpenstrasse.

9/30 - Consider stopping in Mulhouse (Bugatti and other cars museum), Riquewihr and/or Colmar on the way to Strasbourg (R and C are beautiful little towns). Mulhouse to Strasbourg are more or less on the Route des Vins.

10/1 - I would recommend dropping your BMW off before entering Paris and heading to Versailles. Versailles is very reachable by train. A Parisian's idea of parking in a tight space will remind you of a Demolition Derby. Driving in Paris is something very few people want to do more than once, and you will have to do it twice - once to Versailles and then again when you go to the drop-off.
How long were you there? how long do you think it'd take to tour the entire place?
Dachau staff ran us at at 5pm last month :(
I'll hit the o'fest at some point in the weekend. My buddy gets to MUC on saturday so we'll go Sunday around lunch time...
You are in Munich for Oktoberfest and don't have plans of enjoying it? That's crazy talk. We are picking up the day after you and will be heading over to Mulhouse Colmar area on the 1st. If you need something to do on the way to Paris don't forget Reims champagne capital of France and some great sites.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.