BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Thinking about buying an e36 M3 this weekend. Theres two,
both have under 110 K. The 3.0 is 9,000 and the 3.2 is 9,800
My questions is it honestly worth it to go for the the 3.2?
can you really feel a difference?
Thanks guys
kyle

·
Registered
7 Posts
many people say that the 3.2l has more torque.... my brother has over 12 years being a bmw mechanic and he says that the 3.0l was made much better and is more reliable than the 3.2l.... but it's yur choice.... some people prefer the 3.0l.... some the 3.2l. i personally prefer the 3.0l.... which is why i have one now and i absolutely LOVE it! :thumbup:

·
Really Senior Moments
497 Posts
Buy the best car you can afford. Both are subject to all the common E36 issues. Each has some issues unique to themselves. Look at both cars and buy the best one you can afford. In stock form I couldn't really tell that the S52 has 8 or some more lb-ft of torque, and neither will you.

If it were me, I'd have the one I was thinking of buying inspected by someone that really knows the E36. If a seller balks at letting you pay to have the car inspected, run away as fast as possible. I'm not talking about you driving off and having it inspected, but having the seller work with you to get it done. I'd also run a carfax on them. No it isn't perfect, but it's much better than taking someones word for it. (they usually are pretty accurate)

Good luck

·
overclock that computer!
233 Posts
well i dont own a M3 but im looking at the M3's i6 for a down the road project. i have been using wiki for engine specs, what struck me after reading this thread then double checking on wiki.
wiki said:
S50B30US

The S50B30US was a 3.0 L version, which powered the US-spec E36 M3. Power was 240 hp (179 kW). Unlike the RoW S50, this engine used a regular M50 intake in lieu of the individual throttle body set up and hydraulic valve lifters in lieu of solid ones. The cylinder head and the VANOS system are also different on the US M50 versus the RoW model; again having more in common with the regular M50 than the Euro S50.

Applications:

* 1995 E36 M3
wiki said:
S52B32US

The US counterpart shares some of the European version's internal dimensions but uses the more restrictive M52B28 intake manifold and used a cylinder head design more akin to the M52 than to its more powerful European equivalent. Power for the S52B32US is 240 hp (180 kW), and the maximum permissible engine speed was in the 6500 rpm range since it used hydraulic instead of solid lifters.

Applications:

* 1996-1999 US-spec E36 M3
* 1996-2000 US-spec E36/7/8 M Roadster/M Coupe
*edited agian*
ok so i was reading one post in wiki wrong.... am i the only one that find it odd they increased enigine size but not the HP? i would have to go with the M3 with the 3.0L if i were choosing after looking at the HP numbers. it also seems the 3.0L will be lighter as well, if your worried about that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have driven both 3.2's and 3.0's and the 3.2's do feel faster and torquier. Also, along with the better motor, the 96-99's usually are in better condition in general due to age, and usually have nicer interiors. The differene in build quality and feel from the old E36's and the newer ones is drastic.

·
Really Senior Moments
497 Posts
no reason to use 2 when 1 will do just fine. You really can't use more than 350Hp on the road anyway unless you are going in a semi staight line. And where is the fun in that?

·
Dream Green or die
713 Posts
no reason to use 2 when 1 will do just fine. You really can't use more than 350Hp on the road anyway unless you are going in a semi staight line. And where is the fun in that?
Correct, I don't even recommend turbo chargers. Personal preference would be a Super Charger. I have one, AA did a beautiful job, And my m3 is defiantly a car killer.

·
Really Senior Moments
497 Posts
Don't recommend? WTF is with that? I chose the supercharger because it was a lot easier to install, and cost a lot less. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the Technique Tuning turbo. system. Both systems can have great drivability, but a turbo system will be a lot easier to modify later on. As it is, I'm stuck at 320rwhp, if you can call that stuck...lol

But I would never NOT recommend a good turbo system... (Ebay turbo system is a whole different thing, in fact almost anything Ebay is a pos...)

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
MAINTENANCE?
What are the other differences in the cars?
Exterior and interior wear/condition?
Any mods on either car?
Has either clutch been replaced?
When was the cooling system done?
Front Control Arms & bushings?
RTABs?
Lots to think about beyond an $800 difference...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts