BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello; am new here and looking to get my second BMW. Am strongly considering a 3.0i, but wondering if it's worth the extra $ for a 3.0si? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, it'd be interesting to know what the forum feels is the average difference in monthly lease price between the two models. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the 3.0si because the difference in lease payments for me was about $10/month, which for me was totally worth the extra speed. I felt the 3.0i to be a bit sluggish and it lacks some features like bluetooth and upgraded sound (which you can get as options on the 3.0i but come standard on the si, I think). I also, the grill looks a lot more menancing on the si. Hope this helped.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Kevin_G said:
Hello; am new here and looking to get my second BMW. Am strongly considering a 3.0i, but wondering if it's worth the extra $ for a 3.0si? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, it'd be interesting to know what the forum feels is the average difference in monthly lease price between the two models. Thanks!!
The si has more power, but it also has a lower and stiffer suspension.

Try before you buy.

Ed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Didn't know there were any cosmetic differences; as in the grill you mention. Wondering too if there's a true difference in sound between the audio systems. I prefer a lower and stiffer suspension, but have heard the 18" ride almost too hard. Appreciate the responses!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Kevin_G said:
Thanks! Didn't know there were any cosmetic differences; as in the grill you mention. Wondering too if there's a true difference in sound between the audio systems. I prefer a lower and stiffer suspension, but have heard the 18" ride almost too hard. Appreciate the responses!
I don't think the 18" wheels ride too hard at all. But then again, I've been riding on 18" wheels for the last couple of years. That said, I think the 2006 Z4 has a really nice suspension and I find the ride very good even with the runflats--at this point, I'd say that my Z4 rides better than my old 330Ci. If you're leasing, I'd definitely go for the Si.

·
Registered
942 Posts
yeah...if you are leasing definately go with the Si. other cosmetic changes...the headlight surrounds are silver on the Si...Black on the i. wheel options are another difference. i think the tips on the i exhaust might not be nearly as nice as the Si, but i can't remember for sure.

as for the ride on the 18" wheels / tires with sport package... it isn't bad at all. i love it. the runflats that everyone complains about aren't bad at all either. i did change them out in favor of some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S instead though. the Pirellis are much quieter, handle better in rain, and have a much better tread wear rating. cosmetically they look better too. you give up just a smidge when it comes to max cornering in dry...but not having to buy new 1400.oo set of tires every 6-9 months was another reason to switch.

as for the sound difference, the system on the Si is THX certified and sounds amazing. definately another great upgrade.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey Excitmnt94, did you post photos of your Performance Center Delivery? I'd love to see what your car looks like with the gray top--it's the only difference between our cars, I think.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I originally was planning on getting an i. I test drove both and after driving the si I was sold. If you are leasing, the si is unquestionably the way to go. With the better money factor and additional trunck money the cost difference isn't much at all. The bonus is extra power 18 inch wheels and premium sound. I am so glad I got the si!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got the 3.0si without the sport package, and it came with 17 wheels(turbine style).
You get the 18 wheels and lowered suspension with the sport package.
My main reasons for choosing si over the i were:
1. Higher output engine
2. Carver DSP stereo
3. Leather seats.

If you are leasing - the MF along with the trunk money makes the 3.0si a great deal.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
I think a sports car should have pretty decent performance so I got the si with most of the options. I really like the wheels you get with the sport package. Also, in sport mode the car really takes off. With the low money factor it pays to lease even if you want to buy the car.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
whiskey.org said:
either way don't forget the m sport seats

the standard ones are awful
I completely disagree, I can drive mine all day - I think the seats are great. I've even autox'ed mine and surprisingly, the seats held me in place just fine.

Ed

·
Registered
221 Posts
what are the trunk money differences between the two models? I am also looking and felt the sport seats were fine as compared to the m sport seats--It does appear the si gives the better lease and has some standard features the 3.0 does not.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Last I saw, the trunk money difference was only $200, but the money factor was .0005 on the si instead of .0009 on the i.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the feedback...

So does it seem reasonable that a similarly equipped SI should be $150 more per month (on a 36 month lease) over an I? This is what one salesperson at the Mountain View dealership is claiming.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Kevin_G said:
Thanks again for the feedback...

So does it seem reasonable that a similarly equipped SI should be $150 more per month (on a 36 month lease) over an I? This is what one salesperson at the Mountain View dealership is claiming.
That doesn't sound right to me, especially if the cars are similarly equipped. Should be much lower, but I didn't look at 36 month leases, so I could very well be wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ran two lease prices one an si one an i difference in vehicle msrp was 5850$ difference in monthly was 45.00 on a 30 month lease

·
Registered
942 Posts
cantona7 said:
Hey Excitmnt94, did you post photos of your Performance Center Delivery? I'd love to see what your car looks like with the gray top--it's the only difference between our cars, I think.
check your PM's

·
Registered
6 Posts
whiskey.org said:
either way don't forget the m sport seats

the standard ones are awful
I also disagree, in fact I found the m seats to be more uncomfortable as I'm a taller guy and it makes getting in and out of the car much more a pain in the ass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts