BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's taken a little time to get to this, and we don't have much time to write now but thought these pictures might be of interest.

We had a great pick-up experience last Friday on a beautiful sunny day. The weather subsequently was not so great up north, but we had a wonderful time in and around Munich with local friends and a great drive south to Florence yesterday. The weather today was good and we did much sight seeing.

Saturday picked up wheel locks (23 euros) and had them installed, plus a binder for the manual etc (6 +/- euros) from the dealer close to Freimann.

Thanks so much to all on this site for the invaluable wealth of information and advice that have added so much to this experience.

Will add more detail later.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
tmjb said:
.......and we don't have much time to write now but thought these pictures might be of interest....
What pictures??!! :dunno:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the pictures

Had problems putting pictures on the site. It said they were too large and no matter what we did to them it did not seem to help. Any advice?

We´ve been unable to get on line since Florence - in Cinque Terre and on the road. Now in Barcelona after a brief stop in France on the way here.

One very important point for ED people to know (which I´ve seen discussed a little, but I was warned about by Gunther at the Euro Delivery Center, by our friends in Munich and have now witnessed first hand) it seems that car crime (break ins and theft) are at epidemic proportions in Italy, France and Spain (forget about former Eastern European countries - I am told you might as well go donate your car if you go there!). I think it gets worse from Italy to France to Spain.

We stopped at about 1am at a high end motel with so called ´secure parking´ (high fence and electric gate) in Montpellier (I think) and parked under a light, near the main entrance, next to a German 525T. After looking more closely at the my neighbor I realized that it had been broken into and the hotel staff seemed little surprised. I refused to stay, and subsequently saw that all motel/hotels along they way had high fences and electric gates. Secure indoor parking seems to be then only way to go in these parts - hoping to make it to my Madrid drop-off unscathed. My advice would be to stay in Germany, Austria, Switzerland - beautiful and much more secure.

Otherwise, driving the car has been fantastic. You really get the opportunity to appreciate the car here. I haven´t been much over the prescribed break-in max of 100mph - maybe on the last leg to Madrid if conditions allow since we just reached 1200mile/2000km - but the car is so stable and comfortable at speed for long stretches I think it will seem a bit underused back in the States.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit here. I hope this is useful and will post pics soon. I have two great hotel recommedations - with truly secure parking - in Florence, which I will post when I have the info with me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pictures

"Had problems putting pictures on the site. It said they were too large and no matter what we did to them it did not seem to help. Any advice?"

If you take 5MP pictures in RAW or minimally compressed form each picture will occupy several megabytes. For computer viewing you only need 640 X 480 with moderate compression, a file of about 50kB per picture.

I was confronted with the large-file problem when trying to upload from a hotel in Garmisch and solved it with a program I use at home. Look for a program called LViewPro on the web and install it on whatever computer you're using. Open your picture files in LView, click Edit, then Resize. If you're working directly from your camera or memory card you should save the smaller file under a different name than the original, so that you keep the high-resolution original.

LView will also let you adjust contrast, color, etc. if you want; but don't do it on your original file because LView seems to always save pictures in high-compression JPEG.

The following site appears to have a downloadable version of LView along with some instructions on its use:

http://www.steinbroner.com/lviewpro.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
I appreciate your view on the car theft situation, but I will respectfully disagree. I had worse experiences in NJ than in Europe (and this is including Poland and Czech Rep). Just don't leave any visible bags etc in the car when you leave it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
szuszu said:
I appreciate your view on the car theft situation, but I will respectfully disagree. I had worse experiences in NJ than in Europe (and this is including Poland and Czech Rep). Just don't leave any visible bags etc in the car when you leave it.
Thanks for your opinion - and you may be right. I hope not because I live in NYC. However, I have never seen any hotels/motels in the US where the problem was so prevalent that high fences, electric gates and security guards were deemed necessary to ensure some kind of security (which did not work in my experience) - but maybe I was just unlucky! However it did spook me.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
tmjb said:
Hey tmjb,
Nice color and nice car. Mine is identical but beige interior and 6spd manual. Its funny how the front license plate on mine had the same bends on the sides. Now I straitghtened it out for redelivery. kEEP THE PICS COMING, SO FAR SO GOOD. By the way we stayed in Nice France and had no problems except the driving was scary. Of course the car slept in a covered parking with camera monitoring and I returned it as soon as I could.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Florence Hotels

will-san said:
Tmjb

I am very interested in your Florence hotel secure parking recomendations!
Sorry not to have responded sooner, somehow I missed your post here. Anyway, see my 4/10 post under my original thread 'Anyone need an invaluable NAV DVD - 2004-2 Professional?'. I discussed Florence hotels (and secure parking - v. important in my opinon) there. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yamilrx said:
Hey tmjb,
Nice color and nice car. Mine is identical but beige interior and 6spd manual. Its funny how the front license plate on mine had the same bends on the sides. Now I straitghtened it out for redelivery. kEEP THE PICS COMING, SO FAR SO GOOD. By the way we stayed in Nice France and had no problems except the driving was scary. Of course the car slept in a covered parking with camera monitoring and I returned it as soon as I could.
Thanks. I really like it. The exterior is particularly good at not showing dirt which, since I am less than fastidious about cleaning my cars, is important to me.

I don't think we have many other pics (I'll check) with the car from the trip and its now somewhere in the Atlantic, due in NJ next Saturday, so I'm afraid we'll have to wait a couple of weeks (hopefully) for more.

I dropped mine 3/29 in Madrid by the way. Where is yours now? where/when di you drop off?

I think parking in interior secure lots is v. important in that part of Europe these days.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
tmjb said:

Saturday picked up wheel locks (23 euros) and had them installed, plus a binder for the manual etc (6 +/- euros) from the dealer close to Freimann.
Upon redelivery your dealer will provide you with a binder/porfolio for your manuals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LDV330i said:
Upon redelivery your dealer will provide you with a binder/porfolio for your manuals.
Thanks. I though they probably would, but also thought it was a good way to keep them pristine while travelling anyway. Do they give you new manuals at redelivery?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yamilrx said:
Hey tmjb,
I just realized we spoke before about the fact that our cars are on the same ship. Did you notice that our ship got pushed back a day, from 4/22 to 4/23? Looks like they took longer in Zeebrugge than planned - although I'm surprised that they would not make up the day crossing the Atlantic. Maybe they will.

Some ships appear to have trackable positions per posts elsewhere, but I've been unable to find Morning Melody. Too bad!

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,348 Posts
tmjb said:
Thanks. I though they probably would, but also thought it was a good way to keep them pristine while travelling anyway. Do they give you new manuals at redelivery?
I am not sure. I left mine behind in the glove compartment but did not leave on them a recognizable mark.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
tmjb said:
Thanks. I really like it. The exterior is particularly good at not showing dirt which, since I am less than fastidious about cleaning my cars, is important to me.

I don't think we have many other pics (I'll check) with the car from the trip and its now somewhere in the Atlantic, due in NJ next Saturday, so I'm afraid we'll have to wait a couple of weeks (hopefully) for more.

I dropped mine 3/29 in Madrid by the way. Where is yours now? where/when di you drop off?

I think parking in interior secure lots is v. important in that part of Europe these days.
I dropped my car in Nice on March 30th and it is on the ship due to arrive in NY on 4/22. Hoping for redelivery 1st week in May. Spain is awesome, my family met up with us from Madrid in Munich for part of my trip.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
tmjb said:
I just realized we spoke before about the fact that our cars are on the same ship. Did you notice that our ship got pushed back a day, from 4/22 to 4/23? Looks like they took longer in Zeebrugge than planned - although I'm surprised that they would not make up the day crossing the Atlantic. Maybe they will.

Some ships appear to have trackable positions per posts elsewhere, but I've been unable to find Morning Melody. Too bad!
Sorry! but I missed this post. I did not know about the cars being delayed 1 day, that really stinks. Either way I don't think the VPC opens or does any work on the weekend??? :mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Damn it!!!

tmjb said:
Did you see its now slipped an additional day to the 24th?!
I checked the site 12 hours ago and that's when I first realized that the date had been pushed back to the 23rd. Now it's the 24th? :mad:

Does anyone know what I should expect for the following 3 time frames;

1 - Time at the VPC. I'm guessing that if the ship sales out of port (NY) on Monday 4/25 that our cars should be on a truck by Wednesday 4/27. Just a guess though. Anyone know what's normal?

2 - Time to ship to Detroit. I'm guessing 3 days putting it at my dealership by 4/30.

3 - Detail and prep at dealership. Maybe another 3 days? Again, just a guess.

If things do go according to this schedule that would put her in my garage by Wednesday the 4th of May. (43 days after drop off in Vienna)

Can't wait!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.