BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
I don't know why BMW doesn't just post pics like these ones. That car looks SO great just sitting there, in real life. I don't find the promo shots do the car enough justice...good work OBD!!

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Damn, it looks HUGE compared to an E36. Would need some K-Y to squeeze it in our garage. :(

·
Registered
875 Posts
Really, the front end of the car, sitting in the lot in the rain, next to other cars...I MUST HAVE ONE.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
stewthebassman said:
Really, the front end of the car, sitting in the lot in the rain, next to other cars...I MUST HAVE ONE.
Next to the M3 Lightweight, I didn't really notice the E90. ;)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
equipto76 said:
I agree. The promo shots look over-photoshopped. All of these personal shots just look more "real."
Shots taken with my Minolta F100 in automatic mode. You can see some of the blurring due to auto-focus ... I'm lazy. :str8pimpi No retouch other than resizing down to ~800x600.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dawg90 said:
Next to the M3 Lightweight, I didn't really notice the E90. ;)
Sure it's nice, that white car sitting next to that GODDESS OF AUTOMOTIVE BEAUTY.

Sorry Chris, I'm an uninformed Johnny-come-lately. I'm old school (I hear) in kayaking, music, and child raising. New to Bimmers. LOVE the E90.

·
Registered
875 Posts
ObD said:
Shots taken with my Minolta F100 in automatic mode. You can see some of the blurring due to auto-focus ... I'm lazy. :str8pimpi No retouch other than resizing down to ~800x600.
Your auto-focus is better than my having to drive to Boston in my rental Altima to see the car.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Nice pics....thanks for the post! What's up with the white plastic outline around the upper part of the tail lights? Looks very odd. (the border around the reverse light section) :dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MARCUS545 said:
What's up with the white plastic outline around the upper part of the tail lights? Looks very odd. (the border around the reverse light section) :dunno:
IIRC it's a protective thin white plastic covering that was not removed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was there too--who were you? I was the lone Asian. Got some pics too, but Tim got much better ones, including shots of the undercarriage and exhaust.

I was definitely in the "like it, I think" crowd before today. Now that I've seen it in person, I can say that I do actually like the exterior--it looks way better in person, and none of the photos do any justice to the car. That said, I was on the fence about the interior before, but I will now say that I don't like it--it just looks too bland.

However, sitting in the driver's seat was a whole different story--it seemed a lot nicer behind the wheel. Can't really explain it except to say that it just felt right, even more than my car, which I feel totally connected to. The steering wheel is hella ugly, but feels very nice. It's slightly thicker than the E46 ZSP wheel, and slightly less so than the M3 one. I couldn't tell if the wheel was wrapped in leather or not, as it seemed very pebbled and a bit firmer than the M3 wheel.

A couple of things that I didn't know until today...1) Memory seating reduced from 3 presets to 2; 2) But they made up for this by providing power-adjustable seat width--a worthwhile change in my book.
I also didn't know that the engine start/stop button is standard. The key fob that replaces the traditional key is actually pretty nice. Not too fat--unlike MB ones--and is nice and light. There is also a traditional key hidden in it, which pulls out. Theoretically, the physical key is in there so you can open the trunk--it looks like there is no keyhole for the trunk, but it's just well-hidden--in case your battery is dead and you need to change it or charge it. Seems like a good-ish idea to me.

The 18" wheels come with the sport package. They're nice, but nothing to write home about. I foresee a relatively short honeymoon before the urge to upgrade wheels and tires sets in. As for the sound of the car, it sounds A LOT quieter than the E46. I'm just talking exhaust note here, but it's a lot less throaty and rumbly than the E46--very silken, ultra-refined note. This will not sit well with some enthusiasts, but will be a windfall for aftermarket exhaust tuners and parts vendors. However, Ken (product manager for the 3 Series at BMWNA) said that the particular car they had sounded a lot quieter than an E90 he'd driven in Germany the week before.

I also asked about clears--sedan owners will have to look to the aftermarket, as DOT regulations pretty much mean that ambers have to be adhered to at the factory. Coupes, however, will get clears according to Ken. Mwahahahaha!

All in all, to me, the E90 sedan bodes well for the coupe. I'm sure Tim will weigh in when he gets back from Lime Rock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
cantona7 said:
I also asked about clears--sedan owners will have to look to the aftermarket, as DOT regulations pretty much mean that ambers have to be adhered to at the factory. Coupes, however, will get clears according to Ken. Mwahahahaha!
I wish we can just buy clear headlight housing from euro and swap it, dont know if its easy. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cantona7 said:
I was there too--who were you?
When BMW sends us the group photo, I'll point myself out. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
LWL said:
I wish we can just buy clear headlight housing from euro and swap it, dont know if its easy. :dunno:
It looked fairly easy. The amber reflector is secured to the rest of the headlight lens by two or three small screws. I would imagine that all that's needed is taking the entire assembly apart as if you were replacing the xenon bulbs, then simply undoing those screws.

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
Sounds like a good time... I had every intent on driving down but work put the kibash on that today :(

·
It's Beeeemer, damnit!
27 Posts
cantona7 said:
Why would the coupes get special treatment? I mean, don't all cars have to comply with the regs?

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Looks really good in "real Life" pics, but i dont know it seems driven towards the luxury side more than the sport. And someone mention in a post above that the engine and exhaust note are quieter than the E46. That really i mean really disappoints me. :thumbdwn:

All and all i would consider buying one but i'm still deeply in lover with my ZHP and dont plan on trading it in anytime soon.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Oh BTW obd thanks for posting those great pics. They really look different from the one posted by BMWNA. :thumbup:

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
dojobi said:
Why would the coupes get special treatment? I mean, don't all cars have to comply with the regs?
You have to have an amber reflector on the front corner of the car..

The sedans get this by making the corner light covers amber...

Coupes and convertibles have an amber reflector attached to the bumper below the corner lights...

Why do they do it two different ways?

No idea...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts