BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few remarks that it is possible to program the three blinks for a lane change on a 2006 X3. Is this really an option? I don't see it on the key memory form. How can I ask the dealer to program this?

Thanks!

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,695 Posts
it should be listed in your owner's manual/.

·
Registered
75 Posts
casex5 said:
I have seen a few remarks that it is possible to program the three blinks for a lane change on a 2006 X3. Is this really an option? I don't see it on the key memory form. How can I ask the dealer to program this?

Thanks!
Yes, it is an option. Your dealer needs to activate it. I just had it activated last week - works great but in the process they unactivated my key memory for seats and side mirrors with unlocking. Go figure.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Is this a 2006 only thing? That'd be a nice feature on my '04 and I don't think they're all that different in terms of hardware.

·
Registered
75 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
Is this a 2006 only thing? That'd be a nice feature on my '04 and I don't think they're all that different in terms of hardware.
You should check your manual. That is where this feature was listed for MY2006.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who reads the manual... I guess I should! Thanks for the replies, I love that feature and we'll see if I can get it programmed. I wonder why they wouldn't do this as a default?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
spindoc1 said:
You should check your manual. That is where this feature was listed for MY2006.
What page? TIA
cheers
vern

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Hmm no such feature is mentioned in the '04 owner's manual, and BMW hasn't uploaded the 2006 into the online Owners' Circle. I'll ask about it when the X goes for Inspection I in oh say, 2500 miles (that's like, forever).

Page 38-39 in my book is an overview of the manual and automatic transmission, and the turn signal stalk section never mentions the 3-blink.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I will ask to have this programmed but this sounds like how in the 2005 manual it talks about homelink which we don't have

·
Registered
63 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
Hmm no such feature is mentioned in the '04 owner's manual, and BMW hasn't uploaded the 2006 into the online Owners' Circle. I'll ask about it when the X goes for Inspection I in oh say, 2500 miles (that's like, forever).

Page 38-39 in my book is an overview of the manual and automatic transmission, and the turn signal stalk section never mentions the 3-blink.
Sorry, Pg 38 & 39 in the 2006 manual.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So, the 2005 X3 can be program to have this feature?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dont know if it works the same on the X3, but in my 116 this feature is programmed
using the small button in the turn signal stalk.

It can be set at eather 1, 2 or 3 "blinks".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just took my X3 in for its first service. I have it for a year and a half and only have 7900 miles on it. When I made the appointment over the phone, they told me that I can't have the oil changed until the car tells me that it needs service. The next service shows to be at 12,000 miles when I start the car up. When I went in, they told me either 12k or a year, whichever comes first, so they did the oil change, among a few other things. I also requested the 3-blink turn signal setting to be activated, they wrote it up on the R/O as a $56 charge to do it! I was too in shock to even say anything about it, so I stayed quiet about it. I mentioned it to my sales rep, he had no idea what I was talking about, but didn't question the charge...

In the end, they didn't do it, the R/O said they searched for the program and did not find this feature available to my car. I know I saw it in the manual, but I have no idea why they couldn't do it. Any thoughts?

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
We had our 2007 X3 programed to do the 3-blink.

When you take delivery of a new X3, you should get a car-key memory form to fill out. The selling dealer is supposed to give you this form and there should not be a charge. If you bought your X3 new we not given this form, I'd try calling BMW NA and see if they will get your dealer to do this for free.

I hand wrote several items on the form as there is far more that can be programmed than what is on the form. ( I don't remember if the lane changer was on the form or if it was one of the things I hand wrote)

It takes about 15 minutes to hook the car up to a service computer and change the settings. $56.00 is a reasonable charge if you have already used up your one free programming or you bought your X3 used.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 3 blink is not part of Key programing. I had my Z4 done before I had the X3 and my dealer didin't find it.
I went back and told him its not under KEY programing and thats when he found it.

I thought when you set the seat & mirrors and lock and unlock the key remembers that setting. Use to be that way on our 2005 325i.

If I changed the settings and locked the car(with my key fob), the next morning my wife would use her key and the seats and mirror went back to her settings.
We never set anything up at dealer for this.

The 3 blink should be set as default.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
what does the 3 blink lane-change program look like from another car's view?
Nothing special. It's just like the new BMWs, where a light tap of the indicator stalk makes the indicators blink 3 times. It's just the same as holding the stalk down for 3 clicks.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
Who reads the manual... I guess I should! Thanks for the replies, I love that feature and we'll see if I can get it programmed. I wonder why they wouldn't do this as a default?
A BMW has an amazing array of features you may never discover unless you read the manual. Many of these are programable by the owner or the dealer to make the car do exactly what you want. If you don't read the manual you're missing lots of stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts