Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
”jag xe”

Jaguar recently released more technical details about their upcoming XE model. The XE will rival BMW's 3 Series and according to Jaguar's press release, the XE is "a true driver’s car; one that redefines the concept of the sports sedan." Check out the details.

Jaguar will bring levels of innovation with its lightweight construction expertise and sophisticated chassis technology in addition to the new family of Ingenium engines – all designed, engineered and manufactured in the UK.

Built around an all-new, aluminum-intensive architecture, the XE combines thrilling performance, agile handling and precise, responsive steering, with outstanding levels of refinement.

”jag xe”

Integral Link rear suspension

The Integral Link rear suspension delivers major benefits over conventional multi-link designs. By providing lateral and longitudinal stiffness, the Integral Link delivers sharp response and handling while retaining a refined, luxurious ride. Many components of the Integral Link suspension are made from forged or hollow-cast aluminum.

Front suspension

Mounted to a subframe with cast aluminum suspension towers, the double wishbone of the front suspension on the XE delivers exceptional handling and road holding. The advanced design is based on the F-TYPE sports car. This design ensures the XE enjoys a similar level of agility and ‘connected’ steering feel. Like the rear suspension, components are made from cast and forged aluminum.

New Electric Power Assisted Steering

Jaguar is renowned for its steering feel and this will carry on with the XE. The XE becomes the first Jaguar vehicle to be equipped with the latest generation Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS). Electric Power Assisted Steering allows a much greater scope for tuning than hydraulic-based systems. Benefits include excellent steering feel, variable steering damping, ease of low-speed maneuvering and the ability to adapt to Jaguar Drive Control settings. EPAS also enables a range of Driver Aid features.

All Surface Progress Control

Even with the best traction control, rear-wheel drive cars can experience a sub-optimal start on very slippery surfaces. For that reason, Jaguar has developed All Surface Progress Control (ASPC). Developed from decades of Jaguar Land Rover experience in off-road traction systems, ASPC can electronically modulate traction with greater precision than a human driver can achieve. The system works like a low-speed cruise control to improve forward progress under slippery conditions.

Mike Cross, Chief Engineer of Vehicle Integrity, said, “Jaguar vehicles’ have always been renowned for a balance of precise handling and high-quality ride. The XE is the culmination of everything the company has learned over the years. The Integral Link rear suspension provides a combination of supple ride and crisp handling that is unmatched in this segment. We are on target to deliver a vehicle that dynamically outperforms our rivals.”

Going by that last quote, It sounds like the Jaguar is pretty confident in the XE. On September 8th, Jaguar will have the XE's world premiere in London. Should BMW be worried about the XE's attack on the segment?

Source Jaguar

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
BMW should always be concerned about competition. Does anyone think Jaguar is going to pose a bigger threat than Audi or Cadillac? The ATS has been on the market for almost 24 months now and sales are flat. They have not increased in 24 months. This is a car the automotive press has salivated over. Cadillac is practically giving them away right now.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If the XE looks, sounds and drives anything like the F-Type and is price-competitive to the A4/3-Series, I may go running to the Jaguar dealership! I loved the F-Type when I test drove it, and would very seriously consider it as a replacement for the M3.

In my opinion, the more competition, the better. BMW has gotten away for too long with overcharging for options that should be coming standard. I was really hoping the ATS would be the neo-E46, but was disappointed when I test drove one. The car felt cramped, especially in the back seats. The turbo-four felt underpowered and the auto tranny felt lethargic. It seems Caddy hit a home run with the new CTS, but the ATS just didn't do it for me. Jag has the cachet that BMW does, and could pose a serious threat. I hope so. Let's see a price and feature war!

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
If the XE looks, sounds and drives anything like the F-Type and is price-competitive to the A4/3-Series, I may go running to the Jaguar dealership! I loved the F-Type when I test drove it, and would very seriously consider it as a replacement for the M3.

In my opinion, the more competition, the better. BMW has gotten away for too long with overcharging for options that should be coming standard. I was really hoping the ATS would be the neo-E46, but was disappointed when I test drove one. The car felt cramped, especially in the back seats. The turbo-four felt underpowered and the auto tranny felt lethargic. It seems Caddy hit a home run with the new CTS, but the ATS just didn't do it for me. Jag has the cachet that BMW does, and could pose a serious threat. I hope so. Let's see a price and feature war!
+1 I'm hoping the F-Type's V6 goes into the XE, cause that engine sounds incredible for a V6.

Looking at how the Jag XF is quite a bit cheaper than a 5 series (mainly cause it comes loaded), I'm hoping the XE is reasonably priced. I know it will look good and have a nice interior, unlike the Caddy.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I don't think Jaguar is expecting to (or needs to) achieve sales volumes comparable to the 3 Series and will remain a less main stream more exclusive brand.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I don't think Jaguar is expecting to (or needs to) achieve sales volumes comparable to the 3 Series and will remain a less main stream more exclusive brand.
Which hopefully means it'll be less watered down.

·
15,956 Posts
Which hopefully means it'll be less watered down.
My recent experience with Jaguar (XKR and XJ Sport) has been very favorable. The cars were reliable and had an excellent balance between luxury, comfort and performance..

CA

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts

I'm sure the XE will be a valid competitor but when you bring up the F type which is a 2 seat true sports car you expect too much. Jaguar's recent history in sedans is they are fine cars, and very pretty bu not exceedingly sporty for their class unless you get the R version. Maybe the XE will change this.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
When I was in the market, I looked at Jaguar but none of my local dealers seemed interested in gaining business - they would not talk about price - guess they feel like people who want a Jag will pay whatever***8230;
Same with Land Rover - very niche type of clientele and not interested in new business either IMO.
Then I heard Land Rover uses parts from Ford Motor ??
WTH ?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Can automakers afford to introduce new narrowly focused, high dollar, very sport oriented vehicles? All the most recent research indicates younger buyers are less and less interested in cars and more and more interested in appliance type cars. I wonder if this is a problem Cadillac is facing with its introduction of the ATS?

All the whining and crying about the 3er going soft, yet BMW is setting sales records with it. The 1er & 2er are the modern day E30, the car that began making BMW into what it is today, yet the take rate for those models is only a fraction of 3er sales.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My recent experience with Jaguar (XKR and XJ Sport) has been very favorable. The cars were reliable and had an excellent balance between luxury, comfort and performance..

CA
Agreed. I just came out of 2010 Jaguar XF 4.2L V8 rear wheel drive. I put 75K miles on the car and loved it. Made it through 4 rough Chicago winters without issue. Only thing I had to do to the car was change the rotors, pads and tires at around 50K miles.

I would suspect the new XE will be a slightly smaller version of the XF. If it is, then it should do well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My better half is after the Lexus FC R when it comes to market. I suspect when she sees this, that might change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
When I was in the market, I looked at Jaguar but none of my local dealers seemed interested in gaining business - they would not talk about price - guess they feel like people who want a Jag will pay whatever….
Same with Land Rover - very niche type of clientele and not interested in new business either IMO.
Then I heard Land Rover uses parts from Ford Motor ??
WTH ?
BMW shares some part with Mini. I don't think Rover uses Ford parts. It's been a long time (2008) since they were part of FoMoCo.

·
15,956 Posts
BMW shares some part with Mini. I don't think Rover uses Ford parts. It's been a long time (2008) since they were part of FoMoCo.
And what if they do? Some (and perhaps many) Ford parts are very good.

And while we are at it BMW used GM parts (the AT in the E9x 328)

CA

·
15,956 Posts
Nothing wrong with it except some may see it as cheapening their "exclusive" luxury cars.

I see what you mean!

I was going to buy one of these until I found out that it had some Ford parts. :mad:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I don't about that. I don't perceive Jag as being an "exclusive" brand -- at least more exclusive than BMW. It has cars priced at many points of the the luxury spectrum, including entry. It's lower visibility on the streets is due to a prior bad reliability reputation and being slung though a lot of ownership and management changes since the mid-60s. I think Jag would LOVE to be on the same sales level as the German auto makers. Clearly it's trying to present value to consumers to pull them over. But perception is reality. It's why most current-era Jags have the lowest resale value of any Euro lux brand.

Personally, the new models are beautifully designed, but I don't stare in awe when I see one they way I would, say, a truly exclusive car like an Aston or Rolls. I've never driven one, but auto press still says BMWs are STILL (marginally) the best driving mass market cars around. I'm still growing on the BMW electric steering so if Jag is worse feeling, no thanks.

·
15,956 Posts
I don't about that. I don't perceive Jag as being an "exclusive" brand -- at least more exclusive than BMW. It has cars priced at many points of the the luxury spectrum, including entry. It's lower visibility on the streets is due to a prior bad reliability reputation and being slung though a lot of ownership and management changes since the mid-60s. I think Jag would LOVE to be on the same sales level as the German auto makers. Clearly it's trying to present value to consumers to pull them over. But perception is reality. It's why most current-era Jags have the lowest resale value of any Euro lux brand.

Personally, the new models are beautifully designed, but I don't stare in awe when I see one they way I would, say, a truly exclusive car like an Aston or Rolls. I've never driven one, but auto press still says BMWs are STILL (marginally) the best driving mass market cars around. I'm still growing on the BMW electric steering so if Jag is worse feeling, no thanks.
Exclusivity does not necessarily equate to more expensive. There is a certain appeal to having a car that is rare enough so that you don't frequently see others like it.

At this point in time Jaguar does not have a car in the "entry level luxury" category. The least expensive Jaguar is the XF which has a list price of between $50,000 and $99,000. The XJ starts at $74,000 so the BMWs that they are selling (Sedans) against are the 5 and 7 series.

The whole point of the new model is to compete with the BMW 3 Series the Cadillac ATS and similarly priced sedans.

I seriously doubt that Jaguar expects to match 3 Series sales numbers (at least not for a while) and I doubt they have the dealer infrastructure to support those sales numbers.

The new XE will probably be a nice car but it is unlikely that it will be so much better than (or for that matter ad good as) a 3 Series that it will make much of a dent on BMW sales,

I think what a determining factor for the new Jag model will be is whether they can offer competitive lease deals to BMW.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts