BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 series caught fire (update from BMW 05/20/05)

Hi, I am new to the Bimmerfest site, but I stummbled upon it search the web for some info on my BMW. I was woundering if anyone has heard of 3series spontaniously catching fire while driving down the road. My lady and I were driving in Houston May 1st when smoke started to come out of the air ducts.Then the guages started to go up and down, as soon as I saw that I pulled over and started to get my valuables out. Within 9-13 min the car was fully envolved with fire. I was in awe standing there watching my 2004 BMW as it wnt up in smoke. The next day BMW of houston north, my local dealer, went and picked it up from the tow yard and took it to the dealership. They said a team is coming down and it is under investigation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, comments or just to say "sorry to hear that". I do have pictures and I will post them as soon as I get them down loaded from my camera.

Heath

Here are some updated pics of my burned BMW. The picture shows the engine compartment, the driver and passanger compartments and the right side of the car. The front tires and shock tower came out of its original resting positionand when the wrecker picked up the front of the car and sat it down with the shocks out of their holders. The shocks on the hood that holds the hood up blew the drivers side corner of the hood up. The entire interior is burned and has glass littered all over from when the windows blew out one at a time after they were heated up enough. The pictures show the car after the tow truck dropped it off at the tow yard. It was so sad sitting there helpless watching my car burn up will waiting for the fire dept. I hope nothing like this happens to any other BMW owner. I will keep you posted about what BMW says.

Heath

Attachments

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,473 Posts
Lash2578 said:
Hi, I am new to the Bimmerfest site, but I stummbled upon it search the web for some info on my BMW. I was woundering if anyone has heard of 3series spontaniously catching fire while driving down the road. My lady and I were driving in Houston May 1st when smoke started to come out of the air ducts.Then the guages started to go up and down, as soon as I saw that I pulled over and started to get my valuables out. Within 9-13 min the car was fully envolved with fire. I was in awe standing there watching my 2004 BMW as it wnt up in smoke. The next day BMW of houston north, my local dealer, went and picked it up from the tow yard and took it to the dealership. They said a team is coming down and it is under investigation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, comments or just to say "sorry to hear that". I do have pictures and I will post them as soon as I get them down loaded from my camera.

Heath
Sorry to hear that Heath...

Several years ago there was a serious problem with some of the
electric cooling fans that were catching fire, but with a 2004, that
shouldn't have been the culprit...

BMW will provide you with a replacement I'm sure; I helped several
E46 buyers through this process myself.

Please keep us posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
OUCH! Wonder if it was a mechanical or electrical failure? Please post some pics, I'm interested.
Sorry to hear that.... Ahh the JOY of auto insurance! :thumbup:

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Oh my goodness those are some of the saddest pictures I've ever seen.

Hopefully BMW will own up to the problem and replace the car so you don't have to deal with your insurance company on this one.

Best of luck to you, and...

"sorry to hear that"!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jon said:
Sorry to hear that Heath...

Several years ago there was a serious problem with some of the
electric cooling fans that were catching fire, but with a 2004, that
shouldn't have been the culprit...

BMW will provide you with a replacement I'm sure; I helped several
E46 buyers through this process myself.

Please keep us posted!
I hate to look at those pics, the car looks scary esp the engine. Just wondering was that salavged and fixed or was it a write off?????

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Jon said:
ewwwwww!!!! look at those hideous solid orange turn signals!!! :D

·
ELmO
362 Posts
looks like the radiator fan went to hell.

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Lash2578 said:
I posted some pics from the fire that took the life of my BMW today. Try not to cry.

Heath
Wow. Just Wow!! :yikes: :yikes:

·
Registered
688 Posts
WOW. glad to hear you got out before getting hurt.

on another note, kinda interesting how everything on the steering wheel melted except the metal ring that makes the circle (which is now dnagling on the steering column)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Lash2578 said:

Heath

Here are some updated pics of my burned BMW. The picture shows the engine compartment, the driver and passanger compartments and the right side of the car. The front tires and shock tower came out of its original resting positionand when the wrecker picked up the front of the car and sat it down with the shocks out of their holders. The shocks on the hood that holds the hood up blew the drivers side corner of the hood up. The entire interior is burned and has glass littered all over from when the windows blew out one at a time after they were heated up enough. The pictures show the car after the tow truck dropped it off at the tow yard. It was so sad sitting there helpless watching my car burn up will waiting for the fire dept. I hope nothing like this happens to any other BMW owner. I will keep you posted about what BMW says.

Heath
Heath im glad you didn't get injured in any way from the fire. The pictures are very scary to look at, what i am poundering is, how can something like this happen all so sudden, and to this to extent. i mean the car was virtually brand-new and you were just driving the car normally. I think BMW should investgate this matter quite seriously as it could turn out deadly for some other people. Its unbelievable. Please keep us posted.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
I thought that was the new BMW Art Car. :rofl:

Actually though it looks like that car has front end damage. The hood is bent and the door is out of line and it looks like the grill and/or bumper were damaged. But it could be the angle.

Why is the hood bent?

·
Registered
185 Posts
LmtdSlip said:
I thought that was the new BMW Art Car. :rofl:

Actually though it looks like that car has front end damage. The hood is bent and the door is out of line and it looks like the grill and/or bumper were damaged. But it could be the angle.

Why is the hood bent?
And why are the front wheels folded over?

·
2,457 Posts
HankM3 said:
And why are the front wheels folded over?
My guess would be melted bushings, possible explosions, along with dragging it on and off of a flat bed, and pushing it onto place in the car lot. That thing certainly isn't rolling.
:( :cry:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The hood has damage from the left shock that assistes the hood in the opening process. The gas filled shock exploded and raised that part of the hood. Also the shocks came out of the towers because they were melted and when the car was lifted by the tow truck diver the entire top ball joint and shock fell and all that was holding the wheel on was the bottom a-arm. The way you see it is the way the fire destroyed my car. There was no damage to the car before the fire.

Heath

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you look closly you can see the top of the shock tower sticking out of the ft wheel well. All the ft bumper and lights and grill were melted in the fire.

Heath

1 - 20 of 148 Posts