BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I recently purchased a 328i xdrive...The dealer attempted to get me to buy the various packages ( wear and tear, maintenance, road hazard etc.} and I declined. I am having second thoughts about the maintenance pck.The cost is $1950 for 4 yrs and 92000km. Having no history with bmw ownership, I would be interested in some reactions to the benefits of buying this rather expensive package. thanks for your thoughts...hec

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the Fest. I gather this is not a new car, because new BMW's come with free maintenance for four years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maintenance pck

Car is brand new...the dealer suggests the package because it covers everything that is not on warranty...all but tires..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Car is brand new...the dealer suggests the package because it covers everything that is not on warranty...all but tires..
the free warranty on new bmw's covers everything but tires??? doesnt sound right to me. I think they are trying to get you for extra money.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Why would you buy a maintenance contract if the car is brand new? I wouldn't do it. You have the 4 year free maintenance coverage and that should be enough.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Maintenance package not really worth it, as all you're really getting are oil changes... Extended warranty might be at the right price and providing it's BMW's own not the dealers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, this is strange.

Details about the "BMW Ultimate Service" (including the the 4-year/50,000 miles maintenance program) are here.

The maintenance program covers Engine Oil Services, Inspection Services, Wiper Blade Inserts, Brake Pads, Brake Discs, Engine Drive Belts, Brake Fluid Service. Tires are not covered. You usually get a dedicated road hazard package if you feel you need it.

The only thing I have seen is an "extended" maintenance that adds 1-2 years to the standard 4-year maintenance. There is also an extended warranty that covers you for an extra 1-3 years after the 4-year warranty expires.

The BMW coverage for the first four years is very comprehensive. There is nothing that you should be getting extra. Perhaps the road hazard if you think you need it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
the extended warranty sounds like it'll also cover the hot air the dealer is blowing his way

Still original HPFP after 17,000 miles

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds to me like they're asking for $1950 for absolutely nothing in return. Let us know who this dealer is so we can avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Um... I might be wrong... but seems to have something in the back of my head telling me once upon a time I saw that the BMW "Ultimate Service" that comes with the new cars in the US (which covers all maintenance for the first 4 years) is not available to Canada, perhaps this is a paid option in CA?...

Looking at this link, doesn't seem like the dealer is making this up?...
http://www.bmw.com/ca/en/owners/service/maintenance/_shared/pdf/chart_only_EN.pdf

Again, I might be wrong, am often confused :)

·
Black Squared
421 Posts
Hi all I recently purchased a 328i xdrive...The dealer attempted to get me to buy the various packages ( wear and tear, maintenance, road hazard etc.} and I declined. I am having second thoughts about the maintenance pck.The cost is $1950 for 4 yrs and 92000km. Having no history with bmw ownership, I would be interested in some reactions to the benefits of buying this rather expensive package. thanks for your thoughts...hec
If this is 4 years additional to the original warranty, then this might not be bad 'insurance.'
But as with any extended warranty coverage, read the fine print to ensure they will fix what needs fixing...

I know in Germany, you get 2 years warranty coverage and any MX is on the owner (100+ Euro per oil change!). Isn't that true for you truly "North" Americans? ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Only 100 or so Euro for an oil change in Germany?! I'm in Italy and they want 250 Euro at the dealer!!! I had my dad ship me Castrol 0w-30 Euroblend Synthetic ($46 + shipping) and a Mann filter ($8). Did it myself on the Navy base for $4, with their hydraulic lift, tools and disposal. Easy to do yourself, but if you don't hit the dealer or an authorized BMW service shop, you'll void your drivetrain warranty. Who cares? I'll take that chance. Only good for two years over here anyway. I wouldn't waste a penny on extended warranty for a new car, especially if you have the 4 year maintenance and warranty in the US. Sounds like $1900 for nothing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yeah, this is strange.

Details about the "bmw ultimate service" (including the the 4-year/50,000 miles maintenance program) are here.

The maintenance program covers engine oil services, inspection services, wiper blade inserts, brake pads, brake discs, engine drive belts, brake fluid service. Tires are not covered. You usually get a dedicated road hazard package if you feel you need it.

The only thing i have seen is an "extended" maintenance that adds 1-2 years to the standard 4-year maintenance. There is also an extended warranty that covers you for an extra 1-3 years after the 4-year warranty expires.

The bmw coverage for the first four years is very comprehensive. There is nothing that you should be getting extra. Perhaps the road hazard if you think you need it.
+1

·
Registered
424 Posts
Guys, OP is not in US, at least judging by his reference to 92,000 km (vs. 5x,000 miles). Or, he's some pompous college professor trying to convert us to metric on this board:D

Different rules outside US, not necessarily a dealer ripoff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts