BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
************************* ***
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW sure got this one down, I've never had a car with better wipers. It was pouring on the way in this morning and these wipers performed flawlessly. No chattering, streaking, smearing, skipping...nothing. Just silently moved the water off the windshield completely, and it was coming down buckets. I also remember noticing how well they did in snow. I don't remember my MBs as being bad, but I also don't remember noticing how well they performed like this car. Maybe Rip and Haus can testify to this, seeing as they have much more experience with rain.
 

·
Spelling Impaired
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
Ditto

I too can attest to the fact that the wipers work great. I live in the UK and have used my wipers far more than I would like to admit...

One thing that I have noticed. While doing an excellent job of removing water, they do seem to wear out very quickly. Wipers I have had on other cars seemed to last a year or a little longer if I pushed it and didn't mind the streaks. The ones on my 323i seem to wear out at around 7 months and are almost un-useable by 9 months. Has anyone else experienced this?
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Not only are they the most functional wipers I've ever used, but they look great too! I get tons of compliments on how "smooth" and "sleek" the wipers are. My friends are jealous and they want to transplant them onto their cars. :D
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
M-B has some of the worst wipers I've ever used. The cyclops wipers are HOPELESS in heavy rain. They move at effectively half the speed of decent normal wipers.

The 3'er has very nice wipers, though they could go a bit faster. I really think the rear window wiper on the Tourings is stupidly configured, though. You can ONLY put it on intermittent. Worse yet, the intermittent cycle is dead slow. I frequently have to manual wipe the rear window when I need to look back because I'm TOTALLY blind through it and I can't wait another for the damned wiper to go. There are three things I miss from my old E320 4Matic: 1) No rattles creaks, etc. whatsoever. 2) Rear window wiper with constant AND intermittent settings. 3) and finally... All that space. :D I do find the 3'er Touring just a TOUCH small sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I am going to dissent on this one. Although they work fine the high speed is to slow.

Here in the south when we have the torrential thunderstorms the wipers simply cannot keep up.

On american cars when the high is selected the wipers really move.

Mind you this has been the case on every bimmer i've owned (5 so far).

On a 911 that I had the wipers were real fast.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

The 3'er has very nice wipers, though they could go a bit faster. I really think the rear window wiper on the Tourings is stupidly configured, though. You can ONLY put it on intermittent. Worse yet, the intermittent cycle is dead slow. I frequently have to manual wipe the rear window when I need to look back because I'm TOTALLY blind through it and I can't wait another for the damned wiper to go.
Have you tried reprogramming the intermittent interval? The procedure is RTFM and in the Bentley. Not that I've tried, since its rained like a half dozen times since I got the car.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Kaz said:


Have you tried reprogramming the intermittent interval? The procedure is RTFM and in the Bentley. Not that I've tried, since its rained like a half dozen times since I got the car.
Yeah... But when it takes <1 second for the rear window to become virtually opaque, it doesn't do me a whole lot of good. The worst time is when it isn't raining and ALL the water is coming up from under the car.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
I do LOVE the manual control of intermittent wiper speed, though. :)
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I do LOVE the manual control of intermittent wiper speed, though. :)
Of the front or rear? The slowest intermittent setting for the fronts is way too short for me. Also, I hate the little dial within the stalk. It feels cheap and cheesy. Then again, I'm spolied from having driven a '91 Q45 for a bunch of years. The smoothest, slickest intermittent wiper control that I've ever used.

Sometimes I get scared when I think about how much time I have devoted to thinking about intermittent wipers.:bawling:
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
webguy330i said:
Not only are they the most functional wipers I've ever used, but they look great too! I get tons of compliments on how "smooth" and "sleek" the wipers are. My friends are jealous and they want to transplant them onto their cars. :D
uuhhhh Chris . . . you are kidding . . . right !?!?

I've never even noticed if my wipers look good or not and you know what an obsessive nut I am !!
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
clyde325xiT said:


Of the front or rear? The slowest intermittent setting for the fronts is way too short for me. Also, I hate the little dial within the stalk. It feels cheap and cheesy. Then again, I'm spolied from having driven a '91 Q45 for a bunch of years. The smoothest, slickest intermittent wiper control that I've ever used.

Sometimes I get scared when I think about how much time I have devoted to thinking about intermittent wipers.:bawling:
Well... I'm coming from a MB E320 4Matic. Cyclops style with no intermittent wiper control. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,077 Posts
Alan F said:


uuhhhh Chris . . . you are kidding . . . right !?!?

I've never even noticed if my wipers look good or not and you know what an obsessive nut I am !!
Heh, funny that you mention that. The wipers were one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the car in sunlight. Weird. :confused:
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Alan F said:


uuhhhh Chris . . . you are kidding . . . right !?!?

I've never even noticed if my wipers look good or not and you know what an obsessive nut I am !!
No really, people enjoy the wipers very much. =) Didn't you notice how well they blend in with the bottom plastic portion of the windshield? Very sleek!

paul330ci, I must concur with you -- they could move a little faster, but did you notice too how the car pitches to the sides when the wipers are on high? Any faster and I think they might fly off the windshield! :p
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Not like the cyclops wipers. :p
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top