Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Bimmerfest. So I have some questions about the
Eisenmann Exhaust for the BMW 318i (e36) - 4x70mm round tips. I have a 1995 bmw 318i convertible, and a friend of mine could hook me up with this quad exhaust setup for really cheap. Therefore I though why not, haha.

As far as the installation of this goes, if I get the part, all I'd have to do is bring it to a local bmw mechanic and they should be able to install it, and make the necessary modifications to the bumper to allow it to fit, right?

I was wondering what the difference between the 318i and 318iS is when it came to exhausts, I thought they were the same?

Also I was curious, what are the possible drawbacks or benefits of installing this?

Lastly, how much do you think the installation will cost?

Thanks!

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Hey Bimmerfest. So I have some questions about the
Eisenmann Exhaust for the BMW 318i (e36) - 4x70mm round tips. I have a 1995 bmw 318i convertible, and a friend of mine could hook me up with this quad exhaust setup for really cheap. Therefore I though why not, haha.

As far as the installation of this goes, if I get the part, all I'd have to do is bring it to a local bmw mechanic and they should be able to install it, and make the necessary modifications to the bumper to allow it to fit, right?

With most quad tip exhausts, you need to do more than just the rear bumper. That said, this:

is the picture I find when I search for this exhaust. This one looks like it MIGHT just fit around the spare tire well.

I was wondering what the difference between the 318i and 318iS is when it came to exhausts, I thought they were the same?

Correct, they're EXACTLY the same. In North America, the iS designation simply means a coupe, opposed to a sedan.

Also I was curious, what are the possible drawbacks or benefits of installing this?

It will sound different.

Lastly, how much do you think the installation will cost?

Depends entirely on your area, corrosion on your current exhaust, inclination of shops near you.

Thanks!

I think this covers your questions.

Ed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this covers your questions.

Ed
Thanks so much for the answers! Yes I believe it fits around the spare tire which is why I wanted it. And so (I live in NA) getting the iS and the i would have no difference? I was just somewhat confused because I believe one was more expensive than the other? And like could you give me a ballpark estimate on the labor costs? The bmw I own is in pretty damn good condition. It was sheltered and has only 87,XXX miles.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Being in Canada, more specifically way up north in the oilsands, and having shop labour rates starting around $220 an hour here, any estimate I can give you would not have any bearing on what you're likely to pay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being in Canada, more specifically way up north in the oilsands, and having shop labour rates starting around $220 an hour here, any estimate I can give you would not have any bearing on what you're likely to pay.
alright, thanks for your help though, I appreciate it a lot!

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
I don't know that you'll like what a 318 sounds like with a loud exhaust on it... They sound rather farty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't know that you'll like what a 318 sounds like with a loud exhaust on it... They sound rather farty.
Well there is a sport option and a race option. I feel like the race option would be far too loud for a 318.

Also you seem pretty damn experienced. Any idea (just a ballpark range) how much this would cost for installation (including modification to the rear bumper). I live in southern california if that makes any difference.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
It's hard to say, but to pay someone else to do the work for you, I'd say in the ballpark of $100-200 for installation.

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
It's extremely difficult within practical terms to get a 4 cylinder engine to sound like a V8 simply because of the extreme difference in the fundamental frequency of the exhaust output. In a 4 cylinder there are 2 exhaust pulses per revolution and in a V8 there are 4. A 4 cylinder engine has to be at 6K rpm to match the fundamental output frequency of a V8 at 3K rpm. 12K rpm for the 4 cylinder to match the V8 at 6K rpm. You can pretty quickly see where this is going. You can make a 4 cylinder exhaust sound louder, but within practical means there's no way to make it really sound better, particularly if your definition of better is a wound out M62 or LS1 V8.
From an impractical means one could try to fool the listeners ears by splitting the exhaust output of the 4 cylinder at the exhaust manifold and using an extended path for one branch of the split to stagger the arrival of the exhaust pulses so that you have the primary pulses and the delayed pulses arriving entrained in timing so that you doubled the effective frequency to get a V8 like output. By rough calculation and using 1100 ft/sec (speed of sound) the delaying exhaust branch would need to have a length of approximately 40 feet...........:)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
^ or done with smoke and mirrors aka electronically. But as you said very tough job to get the sound of a V8 out of a I4. This is why at the track having a V8 with a simple muffler does not exceed the dB ratings while a high strung I4 does all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this the only exhaust that's still on the market that allows a 1995 318iC to be converted to a quad exhaust without moving the spare tire?

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Is this the only exhaust that's still on the market that allows a 1995 318iC to be converted to a quad exhaust without moving the spare tire?
Maybe.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
Probably. Of course, you can always have a shop make the exact same thing for you using any random E36 catback you want. It's just a piece of exhaust tubing bent around the spare tire well. Should be pretty easy to make.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts