BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
i am a bit new to the scene and and after some basic advice. i have just sold my "vw" vr6 because the chance arose to buy my friends 318is, as the cars a 1998 and covered only 39000 miles, (mint condition) had loads of extras put on from new and the car was going for a song i could not say no.
i love the car its handling and pure of pleasure driving it are by far the best i have had from any previous car....but the performance (re power) are a little flat after the previous cars i have owned.
Can any one offer me any advice regarding engine upgrades, ie super chips .exhaust filters etc that will squeeze some more out of the car, i would appriciate any advice on manufactures and performance companys that i can use or talk to.
i live in the uk (yorkshire) so if any one can recommend "owt" local that would also be great
thanks
Egg:thumbup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah I got one too. Like me, you bought the wrong bimmer, shoulda got a 325. as far as i know there isnt much intake, exaust even thought your mass air flow sensor/regulator wont really allow the extra air. i havent done much resurch but check out the computer chips they may help. i really feel your pain i had a 13 sec honda but i love my beamer . if you do find something that helps please let me know

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know what I'm going to say is not going to make much sense; an although the car is in a mint condition with an ultra-low mileage, modifying a 1.8L engine is not worth the money at all, no matter how much you put into it, it'll always be underpowered.

If I was talking to someone who has a car with 3-times your mileage, the first thing I'd recommend is an engine swap. However, in your particular case, I'd say you have to live with it. Enjoy the car, don't race it.

You have a very rare car, take good care of it and enjoy it.

All the best!

·
Registered
144 Posts
this guy dosent own a 318 you have a 1.9 m44 engine in that car remember that when you are looking for parts check this sit it will tell you alot about what you need at lest with oem parts http://www.realoem.com/bmw/ just enter the last 7 digits of your vin. and buy a bently manual now thats the best upgrade you can buy

·
blank
1,614 Posts
Yeah I got one too. Like me, you bought the wrong bimmer, shoulda got a 325. as far as i know there isnt much intake, exaust even thought your mass air flow sensor/regulator wont really allow the extra air. i havent done much resurch but check out the computer chips they may help. i really feel your pain i had a 13 sec honda but i love my beamer . if you do find something that helps please let me know
*bimmer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

thanks for the info, so far it looks like the best option is going to be to fit a star chip, web site claims a raise to 160 bhp which i think may be a bit of bull, but with a chip and a good exhaust (i need one recommending) and filter i am hoping to see about 165 bhp!!

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
If you replace the viscous with an electric fan, and replace the underdrive pulleys, new iridium spark plugs, cone air filter, new catback, and use premium fuel, you will have quite a bit more torque and power. Most of it will come from having an electric fan and underdrive pulleys with less resistance, some from the exhaust.

But the fact is it's only a small engine, so torque is always going to be limited. I'd personally sell that car and get a 328i, there's not a lot of point of having a low mileage E36, it'll just mean you'll end up hanging onto it long after you should have gone to a newer BMW. Get a higher mileage but faster car and enjoy that for a few years I'd say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts