BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
that's a big bump for just cams. seems like it might be peaky and not very streetable. is that with the headers (which I presume are supersprint..??). are they shrick cams or a home brew?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt he installed any headers though. No, they are in-house designed cams. He was selling a pair of Schrick cams a while back though. And he claimed that the Technik cams are similar, with profiles of intake 264 degrees and exhaust 248 degrees.

I am working out a deal on installing the paddle-shift kit on his project car too.

31st330i said:
that's a big bump for just cams. seems like it might be peaky and not very streetable. is that with the headers (which I presume are supersprint..??). are they shrick cams or a home brew?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Considering that VANOS is there, I'd be leery about cams doing godknowswhat, especially without some custom programming to account for them.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
kaz, yes you have a point. I've read about that before and simply forgot. I wonder what samir or shrick's story is regarding the software.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, my bad, the project car has headers.

Here's a post from the other board by Samir.

Nick330Ci is running ported head/cams/headers/intake/exhaust and putting down about 280HP (actually making more now since we were able to adjust the vanos for better
timing). Doing the head by itself will make about 20HP, however, adding camshafts to take advantage of the increased airflow is a good idea in addition to a set of headers
to expel the exhaust gases efficiently and eliminate reversion. Lastly you want a good ECU program to optimize air and fuel for maximum power. Lotta things to consider
when taking apart the engine. If you're going to do one engine mod, I would recommend a set of camshafts instead of a ported head.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
well, samir seems reputable and the I can't argue with dyno results but 20HP from porting polishing seems optimistic on a modern engine, especially a modern bmw motor. even the miata (mentioned because it's an older design ~1985) can't be improved much by cams + porting and polishing unless it's combined with forced induction and a better ECU (which the bimmers already have).

hahaha... this is nowhere near smog legal. while cams and porting might be easy to hide and sneak by a smog check, the headers sure wouldn't be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.