BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
This is my first post here, hopefully I posted under the right category.

So a few months ago I got a BMW E46 320d Touring Automatic with 355k km (220k miles) for my 18th birthday. It ran fine for a couple of days then the turbo died, leading to a diesel runaway. The engine was totaled, so I bought a new one and got it replaced. The mechanic noticed a small ATF leak underneath the car, but said it's still ok to drive since the amount of fluid lost is "insignificant". After the engine swap, the transmission started to sometimes slip slightly when shifting from 3rd to 4th. The slippage only happens when the car is under very light acceleration, and completely disappears when the transmission is in "S" mode or manually shifting with Steptronic. I've also noticed a very faint whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear.

Is the transmission on its way out? The high mileage would suggest that, however it shifts perfectly smooth and doesn't slip at all once it's in gear. I live in Romania and automatic cars are rare here, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it serviced.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I’d definitely have the auto transmission (tranny) fluid level checked. The car has to be on either a lift or on jack stands as there’s no dipstick for the tranny. The tranny’s temperature has to be within a specific temperature range to accurately check the fluid.

BMW bought automatic trannies from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are totally different trannies. The GM tranny has a smooth tranny fluid pan. The ZF tranny has a ribbed tranny fluid pan. They take different fluids!!

You might consider having the tranny fluid and filter changed. There’s information on this forum on how to change the fluid and filter. Also, check YouTube for videos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

I'd definitely have the auto transmission (tranny) fluid level checked. The car has to be on either a lift or on jack stands as there's no dipstick for the tranny. The tranny's temperature has to be within a specific temperature range to accurately check the fluid.

BMW bought automatic trannies from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are totally different trannies. The GM tranny has a smooth tranny fluid pan. The ZF tranny has a ribbed tranny fluid pan. They take different fluids!!

You might consider having the tranny fluid and filter changed. There's information on this forum on how to change the fluid and filter. Also, check YouTube for videos.
Thanks for the quick answer.
The car was bought new in Germany in 2005 and brought to Romania in 2007. Does that mean that I have the ZF transmission? Also, what ATF should I use? Is there a specific type for this car?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
No, BMW installed either transmission regardless of where the car was built. The only exception (for E46s) is the 325iX all wheel drive sedan. All of these cars have a GM tranny.

The GM tranny uses Dexron3 or higher fluid. Dexron4 is synthetic. The ZF tranny uses a different fluid. Search the E46Fanatics forum as there’s a “sticky” on the auto tranny fluids. Again, check the tranny fluid pan. DO NOT PUT DEXRON3 IN A ZF TRANNY!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts