BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flipping throught the pages for my BMW Car mag when I noticed that BMW's racing edition of the e46 320i has an output of 240 bhp and a rev limit of 8400 RPM. The street version of the 320i only has 168 hp. What changes are made to the engine to account for the huge increase in power?!?!??

Ed

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
If the engine doesn't have to be emissions legal nor have to have daily-driver power delivery, its not too tough to get it to that level.

In Japan, where people care less about flat torque curves and more about peak HP, its normal (expected, even) for a 2l engine to put out 200+hp in stock form, with or without fancy stuff like VTEC.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Which stock 2.0 Liter engine has the highest HP (incl. turbo, supercharge, compressor etc) ? Anyone knows ?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Offhand, I'd have to say one of the euro (Japan market ones are restricted to 280hp) limited edition 1st Gen Imprezas.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Well, race cars don't really count... The early 80s BMW F1 motor got something like 1300hp out of 1.5l. :eeps:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Kaz said:
Well, race cars don't really count... The early 80s BMW F1 motor got something like 1300hp out of 1.5l. :eeps:
Oh, I agree, just thought to mention how much HP can be squeezed out of a motor. I had heard about the BMW F1 car you mentioned. Saw this car on "Legends of Motorsport" on the Speed Channel. At the time, their dyno only went up to something like 1200HP!

Can you imagine driving something with that much power? Not to mention the lightweight racing body it's put in?? :yikes:

·
10,856 Posts
Re: smells like development platform for the Z5 engine.

blackdawg said:
hmmmmmm......i wonder where they're going to get the technology to put forth the 2.2litre 4 cylinder Z5 engine with 220hp.

:p
How about the M3? It scales perfectly.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
doesn't the higher rev limit (higher RPM) have something to do with it? I wonder what the HP plot looks like on a dyno chart at the same red line of the standard 320i.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Saw that piece also - amazing.

geomax said:

Oh, I agree, just thought to mention how much HP can be squeezed out of a motor. I had heard about the BMW F1 car you mentioned. Saw this car on "Legends of Motorsport" on the Speed Channel. At the time, their dyno only went up to something like 1200HP!

Can you imagine driving something with that much power? Not to mention the lightweight racing body it's put in?? :yikes:
:

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
In WRC rally racing I think the engine size is limited to 2.0L so I would think that there are a lot of tweaks to get ultra-high output from tiny engines today, considering the power that those cars put out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.