BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two new models - the 320xi and the 328 xi. Both are 2016 demos.

The thing about BMW that has seduced me is the handling. The grip on the road, the cornering are just incredible.

Here's my question. I'm a bit price sensitive. The 328xi is really stretching my budget. I am wondering if any 320 buyers have had buyers remorse for not getting the 328xi with the extra pay. I noticed the difference I think in the highway portion of the test drive but I'm not sure how much was real and how much was in my mind.

I'm wondering if any late model 320 owners could chime in.

Sean

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest, seanyyz! I have a U.S. spec F30 320i, and have no regrets choosing that model over a 328i. The U.S. market 320i is notable for offering Sport Package (option code ZSP) that includes 704 suspension, sport seats, 18" staggered fitment wheels & summer UHP tires, and a few other odds and ends for only $1,300. U.S. spec 328i does not offer this superb combination of features that emphasize driving dynamics and reasonable price, which further bolsters my choice of 320i.

BMW Canada unfortunately does not offer a similar ZSP package for either 320i or 328i. Also, it's too bad that Canadian customers are forced to get xDrive with 2016 320i and 328i models. Nonetheless, both N20 equipped F30 models exhibit good chassis dynamics, and both have ample power for both street and track use. If in the future you want more engine power (e.g., for competitive racing events), you can purchase an engine tune for $500 CAD or less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have to got with the x because of the market here in Toronto. I can go without it but here it is really hard to sell them without the x drive as a used car.

I'm looking at a 320xi with the sports line package with some nice options like leather and a glass sunroof. It's got upgraded tires and wheels. I am discussing price with them.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

The thing about BMW that has seduced me is the handling. The grip on the road, the cornering are just incredible.

Here's my question. I'm a bit price sensitive. The 328xi is really stretching my budget. I am wondering if any 320 buyers have had buyers remorse for not getting the 328xi with the extra pay. I noticed the difference I think in the highway portion of the test drive but I'm not sure how much was real and how much was in my mind.

Sean
To answer your question, the power of the 320 is OK for daily driving. Now add x drive and the added weight that comes with it. A cure of the 320 is to add the BMS stage 1 and you shouldn't have a problem with the 320. There are people on BF that have to have the sport package don't let that sway you, if it's not a deal breaker don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i would go with the 328 with less options than a 320 with more options. the power difference is significant (60hp) and you can feel it in the performance. i was ready to for a 320 with a few options but after driving the 328, went with the an almost bare bones 328. dont regret it at all. love driving the car everyday.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 320 with premium package - it's awesome - often on this board you might think the 320 is actually a rebadged YUGO - it's a great car and hardly entry level in regards to price etc...I'd go with your budget and enjoy your great new car - remember it's still a BMW - 60 Hp less or not...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 320 xdrive sportline and it has been great. Recently installed the BMS Stage 1 and the gas milage hasn't suffer much. The car has more than enough power in stock form as daily driver.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts

Sean
The power difference is real. There's no denying that. Having said that the 320i has more power and torque than the E46 325i, which was one of the most popular 3ers ever sold.

I own a 2006 330i that has 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque. I am a big fan of the 320i and I could easily live with a 320i and have a lot of fun with it.

It appears to me the 320i is definitely satisfying a significant number of buyers, because I see them with great frequency in Chicagoland.

If this is your first BMW and you're already impressed with the driving dynamics of the 320i xDrive I think you'll probably be quite satisfied with the performance of the 320i.

The 320i has enough power to be very satisfying and fun to drive. One thing that's fun about the 320i is that you can use all of its power, whereas with the 328i it tends to have more power than you can use on a daily basis around town.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

Sean
You should drive both cars for an hour or more. See if the performance difference is worth the premium for the 328i. Then list out all the features for both cars and compare them. This really should be a decision you make based on what you want and can afford. If you are looking to save a few $$ then consider whether the awd will really improve starting traction all that much.

We looked at the 320i but decided the bundled features found on the 328i were worth the premium. There is a noticeable difference in power while the mpg ratings are very close. We also drove the awd and rwd versions and decided rwd was a better choice. The rwd version handled the snowy slippery roads of winter just fine. Understand that awd will make the car sit a bit higher, handle differently and have a somewhat larger turning circle.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
As long as you are not afraid to install BMS Stage 1 or more on the 320xi, it will be fine. This is an inexpensive and quick way to add significant power to the 320. I can't really imagine getting the 320 w/out the sport package but if you must have X drive, you must. I wouldn't think twice about the BMS tune, it has been dead reliable for me for more than 2 years and my gas mileage has hovered around 26-27 mpg combined in mixed driving. Insurance rates will be cheaper for the 320 as well. Stock for stock though, I would stretch the budget for the 328.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I had a 320 and now a 328. For me it boiled down to how it was equipped. My 320 was pretty basic compared to my 328 and there's no way I'd go back to my old 320. However, if both were equipped exactly the same way I might have actually stayed with the 320 as power is not really important to me. It's nice, no doubt, but I ended up preferring creature comforts more.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
I can't really imagine getting the 320 w/out the sport package but if you must have X drive, you must.
You can let your imagination rest easy. ;) BMW Canada is restrictive with both items: Canadian market 2016 320i is not offered with RWD, nor does it offer an equivalent to Sport Package (ZSP) on U.S. market 320i.

BMW Canada does offer Sport Line Package for $3,300 CAD. It includes Style 397 18" wheels with all-season tires, leather seating surfaces, moonroof, sport seats, heated sport steering wheel, PDC, and folding port for rear seats. Sport Line Package is also an option for 328i at a cost of $1,500 CAD.

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
You can let your imagination rest easy. ;) BMW Canada is restrictive with both items: Canadian market 2016 320i is not offered with RWD, nor does it offer an equivalent to Sport Package (ZSP) on U.S. market 320i.

BMW Canada does offer Sport Line Package for $3,300 CAD. It includes Style 397 18" wheels with all-season tires, leather seating surfaces, moonroof, sport seats, heated sport steering wheel, PDC, and folding port for rear seats. Sport Line Package is also an option for 328i at a cost of $1,500 CAD.
$3300 CAD sport line package(given its content is a lot more extensive than US-spec 320i ZSP) on Canadian-spec 320ix sounds like a great deal.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Here in the U.S., we can order the BMW that we want--for the most part. We can avoid xDrive, as an example. I ordered, in 2013, a 320i with just the sport package and MT--and metallic paint. In over 53,000 miles of driving, since May 2013, I've always been the fastest car in my vicinity--probably because I am paying attention--and without any illegal tunes--and every mile I've driven has been terrific fun! Except of course for the Lambo that passed me on I-90 at well over 100 mph, in rush hour--and which was very quickly pulled over!

For me, an enthusiast and long-time BMW driver, the delta between 320i and 328i was not enough to opt for the much more expensive car--since I paid cash.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Here in the U.S., we can order the BMW that we want--for the most part. We can avoid xDrive, as an example. I ordered, in 2013, a 320i with just the sport package and MT--and metallic paint. In over 53,000 miles of driving, since May 2013, I've always been the fastest car in my vicinity--probably because I am paying attention--and without any illegal tunes--and every mile I've driven has been terrific fun! Except of course for the Lambo that passed me on I-90 at well over 100 mph, in rush hour--and which was very quickly pulled over!

For me, an enthusiast and long-time BMW driver, the delta between 320i and 328i was not enough to opt for the much more expensive car--since I paid cash.
faster then a 911

What does this post have to do about someone purchasing a car in Canada that will get an X drive car to boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts