BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323Ci, Engine has stopped running, so I want to swap with another motor. I found a 2002 330ci donor, what are some of things that i have to do to make this swap work, like ecu or wires... or can i just put the motor in a turn the key. any help anyone, thank you

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
It can be done, but not as easily as you think or as some make it sound. Search around, you will find conflicting reports of what it takes. Some say it was plug and play, but some say it isn't. There is no way it could be plug and play though, the DME's are different for one, the 330 has bigger injectors and a different MAF. At a minimum you would have to figure all that out. Then there is the issue of your trans not being rated for the increased HP and Torque of the 3.0 motor. You'd be better off finding a 328 motor and dropping that in. You'll get 20-25 extra HP and it IS plug and play for that one.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
the place i'm getting the engine, is giving me everthing needed for the swap i.e intake, ecu, injectors etc.
That doesn't matter. If you get the ECU you have to get the EWS and key from the donor car as well as the entire engine harness. Then you have your cars other modules programmed to it. And you still have the issue of the trans not being rated for the power. Do what thou wilt, again, I didn't say it couldn't be done, but you need to have more knowledge about BMW's than it would appear you have to do it correctly and have it 100% functional when finished.

Anybody can bolt the 330 motor to the car, that is the easy part, making it run correctly is another matter.

· Registered
2,653 Posts
That's what i thought also. (like the one before me)
Probably will need much more parts out of that other car, not only engine.

If old car was fully fine i would suggest just trading it for another one, but you say old engine died so it will need new anyway... so this is where hard work begins.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
well thanx for the help... looks like i'll be going with a 2.8L. You do say it is a simpler drop in. well car has been down for awhile i'm currently deployed...
The 328i is a direct bolt in. Plug up and go. A lot of the engines my local salvage yard sells are 2.8's that go into the old 2.5's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.