BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best thing to do when fixing a 323i is $1800 just for cats, and owner doesn't want to put that much into the car? 269k miles 5 speed runs great

BAR dismantler program?

·
Registered
499 Posts
My buddies 325 were clogged to, I just picked them off a donor car for $100. (I know you can't sell used cats...) Maybe check if there is anyone parting out in the area and will let them go cheap. Being in Cali I'm assuming a delete is not an option.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,623 Posts
If you want to stay CARB compliant, get eBay headers and relocate your cats in-line with the exhaust. You'll also have to relocate your O2 sensors in a way that you don't get any voltage drop (so you don't get any SES lights), so it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Otherwise, go with eBay headers, put a cat in-line with your exhaust, and not worry about O2 sensors, potentially failing emissions tests (unless you find the right shop :eeps:). Or you can go completely catless and give California a big middle finger.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a guy parting out 1999 e46, close enough. He wants $250 for both Engine had 120k. I suppose cats did too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That what I did for my buddy, and if mine go out some day I'll probably do the same. Of course there is always a risk of the parts car having bad cats, but for 100-200 or so I'll take that gamble. Just remember to tell the owner that it is a slight gamble (as is almost anything pulled off a parts car I suppose).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. Carb is good but crazy expensive.
CA is so much cleaner than 25 years ago. I remember the smog hurt your lungs going to orange county, coming from a distant suburb of LA with clean air.
I was quoted $1781 for a shop to do two new cats CARB for my e46. Cheaper than buying them myself due to wholesale. Compared to a 2003 corolla CARB cat $331. Quite a difference.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yeah. Carb is good but crazy expensive.
CA is so much cleaner than 25 years ago. I remember the smog hurt your lungs going to orange county, coming from a distant suburb of LA with clean air.
I was quoted $1781 for a shop to do two new cats CARB for my e46. Cheaper than buying them myself due to wholesale. Compared to a 2003 corolla CARB cat $331. Quite a difference.
BMW prices are high for sure but for catalytic converters the price is proportional to the length of life. It contains all the expensive metals: platinum, palladium, and rhodium. The more it has the longer it can stay in service.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But all the CARB cats have to be warrantied for 50k miles/5 years. But I'm sure a 1.8l 4 cylinder corolla has less precious metals than a 2.5l 6 cylinder with 2 banks. Good point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts