BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got a service engine light today on her 2000 323i. Used the Peake tool on the OBD connector under the hood and got a flashing E for error code....corroded contacts I thought?

I then hooked up my OBDII tool to the D connector under the dash and got the cannot scan message- - turn your key on...the key was on?

Car is running okay from what I can see...feels a little doggy but I drive a 330ci every day so the 323i feels like a dog all the time to me, wife says it is aputtering some time like it wants to stall..I did not feel that...ran it in manual mode and revved the crap out of it just to blow the slow poke cob webs out of it.

I then decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset computer-wala...my OBDII reader then picked up a P1580 code- which stands for "Motor Throttle valve final stage. DME internal test, which means the final stage inside DME will set an internal flag whenever a short to ground, a short to battery voltage or disconnection occurs".

I thought it might be the battery since it is 4.5 years old (not too old for a battery being babied on a battery tender plus) but it checked out at 14.72 volts and jumped a little when car was started and alternator engaged...new alternator three weeks ago...alternator light came on and changed it the same day. running fine since then, including one long trip...until this

Other gremlins prior to disconnecting battery was the door locks would not work when key was installed in door and windows would not close, EML light flashed a couple times.

DME issue?

I checked all grounds and they are clean as can be>>>any clues?

I have 170K or so on this it and I am just guessing from a quaick read that it could be the MDK throttle assembly going bad - since it is OBDII compliant for fault monitoring and apparently has DSC and cruise control modules all built into it to reduce additional controls etc...all according to my good ole Bentley's service manual.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone ever changed their MDK throttle body due to failure like this? I have been getting intermittent DSC- bogging to 50 mph safe mode- just once- about a month ago. thought it was the tranny- again..but now this...I think the DSC lights, EML, / P1580 is pointing to a throttle body or the sensors embedded in it are going bonkers? I did see a site last night that sells rebuilt throttle body's for about $259>not too bad in my book....looking for someone with this experience and cannot seem to find much on MDK, P1580, except one of those tech help sites that said...yes, this means you need a throttle body?

However, I ran the car today and it ran quite well. Taking the steptronic to manual mode and running it at high RPM's and all seemed quite well. I am now wondering if I got the P1580- stuck throttle code- because I put Shell, V Power gas treatment in it a week ago and maybe knocked some chunks loose sticking the throttle? since I never used any fuel system cleaner before. Still wondering why the OBD connector under the hood is not reading...looks like some corrosion of the copper..i.e. green color..need to look into that..in any case gonna have the wife run the tank of gas out and see if the P1580 / sputtering issue comes back...

used this shell fuel system cleaner because I had a fuel filter in my K1500 Chevy detach from the inner housing (FRAM junk) of the fuel filter container and the element was floating inside. I was sucking dirt for about 10K into my throttle body...it must have detached internally pretty quick as I was driving cross country when it starting choking...I had to accelerate carefully or it would stutter badly and misfire. Changed the fuel filter with a purolator and used this shell fuel system cleaner and it melted away the plugged up throttle body very quickly and it runs like the old 91 beater that it is- with 212k on the old 350CI...that's cubic inches... not a coupe (>).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts